MXSMANIC - The posts don't add up

Old October 16th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

Default MXSMANIC - The posts don't add up OT

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:36:43 -0500, Bruce Riggs
wrote:

I would CHOOSE no other state to live, but that's just me.

I love living in California. It's just all those Californians I have
to deal with.

Just be patient...

Eventually they'll all end up over here in Arizona and you'll have a little
more elbow room.

Tongue -- Cheek [mostly]

Jay B

Old October 16th 06, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default MXSMANIC - The posts don't add up

Grumman-581 writes:

Some of those simmers get pretty ****in' involved in creating a home
sim cockpit... Check this one out:
http://www.goflightinc.com/cgi-bin/i...ct=ST;f=9;t=11

A problem with very elaborate sims is that they must either become
more and more specific to a single aircraft, or they must become more
and more hokey (that is, so generic that they don't precisely
correspond to anything in real life). I'm not sure which is the
better goal, although a pilot who is keenly interested in one specific
aircraft (for example, the same one he flies in real life), might
prefer the former route.

To me, having a row of generic buttons for various things adds little
in the way of realism; having buttons that look and act and are
positioned just like those in a real aircraft adds a lot more. I
generally prefer just keyboard actions to buttons if the buttons are
just going to be generic.

From what I understand, some of these guys are actually running into
the limit of the number of USB devices that can be on a machine...

Unfortunately, that's not hard to do, with so many devices having USB
connections today. It's a bit like serial ports in the old days.

Old October 16th 06, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Emily writes:

WTF. And you're going to tell me that's cheaper or easier than going on
an intro flight?

Yes, for total hours flown.

Old October 16th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article , Greg Farris
wrote:

Outside of Paris, France is a very agricultural country - the biggest
agricultural base in Europe. So a statement like the above would tend to peg
you more as a farm person than a city person. Absolutely nothing wrong with
that - you probably don't have much good to say about New York either.

Lotsa nice farm land in New York. ;-)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old October 16th 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Greg Farris" wrote in message
you probably don't have much good to say about New York either.

Well, other than, "9/11 -- Couldn't have happened to a nicer town"...

Old October 16th 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Emily" wrote in message
but since I moved here from Chicago, I'm pegged as one in
Texas. That really bothers me.

Buy yourself a pickup, put a couple of NRA stickers on your bumper and we'll
forgive ya'...

Old October 16th 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
I love living in California. It's just all those Californians I have
to deal with.

Basically, "it's too nice of a state to be wasted on Californians"?

Old October 16th 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_1_]

Greg Farris wrote:

Outside of Paris, France is a very agricultural country - the biggest
agricultural base in Europe. So a statement like the above would tend to peg
you more as a farm person than a city person. Absolutely nothing wrong with
that - you probably don't have much good to say about New York either.

France looks beautiful to me, at least from the Tour de France
helicopter video.

I'm looking forward to visiting one of these days.

Old October 16th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Mxsmanic posted:

Emily writes:

WTF. And you're going to tell me that's cheaper or easier than
going on an intro flight?

Yes, for total hours flown.

Intro flights are typically well below $100. I don't think you'll get
anywhere near one of those setups for that amount, so the "hours flown" --
time during intro flight vs. the same amount of time in the sim -- would
be outrageously more expensive in the sim. And, at the end of the day,
you'd know a heck of a lot more about flying with the intro flight, so it
seems that the sim is money poorly spent either way if the ultimate goal
is to fly real planes.

Neil