Radar contact before squawk

Old March 22nd 04, 05:23 AM
David Brooks

Default Radar contact before squawk

Ooops, wrong newsgroup (since this is a VFR question). Putting that right.

"David Brooks" wrote in message
I learned something Friday night while getting in some night solo time. I
called Whidbey Approach for a few minutes of flight following and possibly
clipping their Class C, and the controller annonced radar contact, and

then
issued a squawk. I hadn't given my position (I wasn't too sure where I was
anyway :-) ). He apparently didn't find it necessary to talk to me after I
popped up with the discrete code.

I was probably the only VFR target in his entire airspace, so there was no
ambiguity. Still, question for the controllers, is it standard procedure

announce radar contact to an untagged target?

-- David Brooks

Old March 22nd 04, 05:52 AM
David Brooks

"Brad Z" wrote in message
I've gotten that as well, usually when I've provided a specific location

and
altitude during quiet periods were there is no ambiguity. Usually they'll
say "radar contact, standby for squawk code" while they enter me into the
system for a flight following.

The fact that you didn't provide a position at all is interesting, but
perhaps there was no other VFR traffic in his sector. Were you flying at
4am or something? If its a rental, maybe he recognized the "N" number to

be
associated with a particular departure airport. Or maybe he's psychic.get

in

Whidbey Appoach airspace is comparatively small, and I wasn't kidding that I
was almost certainly the only VFR target around, although it was 8pm on a
clear Friday. Nobody but me and an IFR practice were talking to him anyway.
It's a rental so you're right, he could have known where I was heading from.
50% of the time it's a trainee behind the mike, so I may have jumped to an
unfair conclusion...

Old March 23rd 04, 07:39 PM
John Bishop

It's no surprise he knows where you are. In the UK the emergency frequency
controllers know your position by triangulation of the radio signal. Last
time I tested it, they gave me my position within four seconds after I
called them. This was without me giving any indication of my location.

Most serious radio facilities have this facility here, and I am sure they
had it also at Whidby, it's a busy bit of airspace.

John

Old March 24th 04, 04:20 AM
Newps

KP wrote:

DF is hasn't been used in US ATC facilities for probably 30-40 years. It
may have hung around a little longer in FSSs.

The AFSS's here and in North Dakota still have DF capability.