Cirrus SR22 Purchase advice needed.

Old April 25th 04, 03:47 PM
C J Campbell

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
C,

They find out why these planes are falling out of the sky with such
regularity

Well, I sure hope I never again see you complain here about
sensationalistic reporting on aviation accidents. Jeeze!

The fact is that the Cirrus currently owns one of the worst accident and
fatality rates of any small airplane.

Cirrus also now has a history of quality control problems, with some
aircraft being returned or sold for a pittance as lemons.

Old April 25th 04, 05:29 PM
Thomas Borchert

C,

The fact is that the Cirrus currently owns one of the worst accident and
fatality rates of any small airplane.

That still doesn't make them "fall out of the sky". And it's not even
true, depending on how you look at it.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 25th 04, 07:33 PM
Dave Stadt

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
C,

The fact is that the Cirrus currently owns one of the worst accident and
fatality rates of any small airplane.

That still doesn't make them "fall out of the sky". And it's not even
true, depending on how you look at it.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

I think "fall out of the sky" is a rather apt description. After all, if
one pulls the chute they do "fall out of the sky."

Old April 25th 04, 09:40 PM
Mike Murdock

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
..
..
The fact is that the Cirrus currently owns one of the worst accident and
fatality rates of any small airplane.

This is an outrageous statement! Can you post any facts showing the
accident and fatality rates of Cirrus airplanes vs. comparable aircraft? If
you examine the real numbers you will find that your statement is patently
false.

No less an authority than Richard Collins of "Flying" magazine disagrees
with you. In the May, 2004 issue, he said that the safety record of Cirrus
airplanes has been "about the same" as those of Cessna 182s manufactured
between 2000 and 2003. He also said, "That's good, really good, because the
182 has always had the best safety record of any piston airplane used for
purposeful personal transportation."

Mr. Collins' article was a followup to his earlier article that was
questioning the safety of Cirrus aircraft.

-Mike

Old April 25th 04, 10:39 PM
Dude

According to Aviation Safety, the SR20 is nearly 4 times more dangerous than
the 182s/182t

I would really like someone to tell me how you can look at these stats and
see something less than 4 fatalities every 100,000 hours?

The Cirrus fleet has enough hours now that the stats actually mean
something. They have not found and corrected any major flaw except to fix
the parachute. If I am going to buy a plane with a parachute, I certainly
don't want it to be because the plane would be otherwise unsafe.

The best way for us to see if chutes add safety would be for Cessna to add
it as an option on the 182. Unless someone else other than Cirrus puts them
on a plane, I am afraid the chute may get a bad name.

Mr. Collins may be a well respected expert, but if he disagrees with the
basic numbers, he is in error.

.

Old April 25th 04, 10:42 PM
EDR

In article , Mike Murdock
wrote:

No less an authority than Richard Collins of "Flying" magazine disagrees
with you. In the May, 2004 issue, he said that the safety record of Cirrus
airplanes has been "about the same" as those of Cessna 182s manufactured
between 2000 and 2003. He also said, "That's good, really good, because the
182 has always had the best safety record of any piston airplane used for
purposeful personal transportation."
Mr. Collins' article was a followup to his earlier article that was
questioning the safety of Cirrus aircraft.

You are forgetting that Collin's article was written in January (three
month lead time for publishing), prior to the current rash of
accidents.
Old April 26th 04, 12:22 AM
Dave Stadt

"Mike Murdock" wrote in message
"C J Campbell" wrote in message
..
.
The fact is that the Cirrus currently owns one of the worst accident and
fatality rates of any small airplane.

This is an outrageous statement! Can you post any facts showing the
accident and fatality rates of Cirrus airplanes vs. comparable aircraft?

If
you examine the real numbers you will find that your statement is patently
false.

No less an authority than Richard Collins

Oh, my head aches after reading that statement.

Old May 19th 04, 04:44 PM
Carlos Estopier

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...
I personally would not buy one of these airplanes until:

1) The airframe life limit of 4,030 hours is rescinded or at least tripled;
and

Hi:

After reading this post, I got in touch with the people in Cirrus, and
their reply was "... As for the hours on the airframe, that will
change in June to 12,000. The restriction was part of the
certification process which is now completed..."

So I guess we will have to wait and see.

Carlos
Old April 25th 04, 03:34 AM
Peter R.

Dennis wrote:

I would like to get others ideas in regards to if I should do a lease-back
at my local FBO, or take on 4 to 9 other partners.. I will be going to the
Rochester fly in next month (http://www.rochesterwings.com) and hope to
solidify a deal with Cirrus..

Dennis, no comment on the Cirrus, but I want to mention that I am
planning on attending the Rochester Wings event, too (barring weather,
maintenance, or health issues). See you there.

--
Peter