Flying down the Hudson River

Old March 23rd 04, 12:45 AM
MichaelR

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....roduct_id=4071

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
news
Yeah? Like who? I've asked everywhere I've been and nobody had it.

"RM" wrote in message
om...
You can also pick up the New York Helicopter Route Chart, which,
at 1:25,000, shows even more detail than the VFR terminal area
chart. All the FBOs in the area are likely to stock it.

Old March 23rd 04, 01:39 AM
Hudson Valley Amusement

a good website with info on the corridor trip. I have done it several times
and it is quite breathtaking although a bit nervewracking. Good luck and bring
a camera if you have a passenger with you. Don't try to take pics while flying
down the corridor. Your attention will be required elsewhere.

http://www.carneyaviation.com/nyctour/nyctour.htm
Old March 23rd 04, 01:49 AM
G.R. Patterson III

SeeAndAvoid wrote:

I'll be flying out of White Plains, NY (HPN) to Allentown, PA (ABE) in early
June and would like to fly down the Hudson River to the Statue of Liberty
then west. It looks like the Class B and TEB's Class D would allow this at
1000' MSL without any clearance or approval, am I right in this assumption?

That's correct.

Anyone done in recently, especially after 9/11?

I ran the corridor about a month ago.

The tops of those bridges
look mighty tall, like less than 500' clearance flying below the floor of
the Class B.

Stay in the middle of the river at 1,000' ASL over the bridges and announce on
the common traffic frequency. Stay to the right side of the river everywhere
except the bridges.

Is this a busy and heavily traveled corridor? It'll be a Saturday.

Maybe. It was not busy (except for the choppers down low) the last time I ran
it, and it has been less busy in the last few years than before 9/11, but it can
still have some traffic on a weekend.

You should pick up a NY terminal chart. It has a variety of landmarks not on the
sectional. It also has the common traffic frequencies. VFR traffic usually
announces at the bridges, the alpine tower, the Intrepid (an aircraft carrier
moored in lower Manhattan, the Battery, "the Lady" (Statue of Liberty), and
sometimes the two tunnels (which can be seen due to their ventilation system
buildings). The sightseeing choppers will usually not announce location but will
instead carry on their own private conversations. They tend to stay at or below
500'.

Turn *all* your lights on and keep an eye out for traffic coming into the corridor
from the New England area about half a mile above where the Harlem river enters
the Hudson.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.

Old March 23rd 04, 01:09 PM
Peter Clark

"RM" wrote in message
. com...
You can also pick up the New York Helicopter Route Chart, which,
at 1:25,000, shows even more detail than the VFR terminal area
chart. All the FBOs in the area are likely to stock it.

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 00:13:09 GMT, "Peter Gottlieb"
wrote:

Yeah? Like who? I've asked everywhere I've been and nobody had it.

Strange. You could always get it from Sporty's -
http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....=4071&CATID=92

Old March 23rd 04, 02:58 PM
RM

"RM" wrote in message
om...
You can also pick up the New York Helicopter Route Chart, which,
at 1:25,000, shows even more detail than the VFR terminal area
chart. All the FBOs in the area are likely to stock it.

I got mine at one of the FBOs at Danburry (DXR). Sorry, don't remember
the name. One on the southwest side of the airport.

Did you check with Panorama? I'd have expected them to have it, but never asked.
Old March 23rd 04, 05:06 PM
Jack Cunniff

"Peter Gottlieb" writes:

Yeah? Like who? I've asked everywhere I've been and nobody had it.

Peter, if you stop at Sky Acres (which is just north of Westchester), they
usually have a copy of the Helicopter Route Chart.

I'd also steer folks toward a very nice write-up on flying the corridor,
at http://www.germaise.com/interests/av...inghudson1.htm
It's a very complete job. Even if you're not going to fly the Hudson
Corridor, it's a good read.

-Jack

. com...

Old March 24th 04, 12:28 AM
SeeAndAvoid

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I'm going to get the NYC Terminal chart
about a month before the trip - looks like a good time.

I had a question about the "blue" or "tower cab" route that goes right over
LGA: is that a one way deal only? Like I said I'll be coming down from HPN
southbound. I had planned to head west to the Hudson and fly right down it.
But if I can fly that other route over LGA, Central Park, then down the
Hudson, that'd be sweet.

Thanks again, Chris

Old March 24th 04, 06:26 PM
Andrew Gideon

You can read about a pair of my Hudson flights at:

http://www.gideon.org/andrew/PhotoAlbum/Flying/

The "trip *over*" might be of interest, as I overflew Manhatten and the East
River as well as the Hudson. I just wish my passenger had greater facility
with his camera sigh.

- Andrew