Flight to Mesa AZ via Monument Valley UT

Old March 24th 04, 07:06 AM
Jeff

ya flying into phoenix sunday it was a crappy ride, we got in about noon and
had a nice 80 degree x-wind at 15 kts with wind sheer alerts.
combination of that 90 degree temp making thermals, the wind whipping off the
rough terrain will do it every time.

Mike Adams wrote:

Jeff wrote:

looks like you had a good time, I flew into falcon field sunday and
just got back to vegas this morning.
not as much to see on the route between vegas and phoenix.

We made the reverse trip on Saturday, from DVT up to 0L9 (Echo Bay). I'd
never been to Lake Mead before and it was a very interesting trip. Our
return was via the Grand Canyon corridors and a stop in Williams. Nice day,
but a little hazy* and bumpy in the afternoon - too early in the season for
the thermals to be so active.

Mike

* only by Western standards - visibility maybe 75 NM instead of the
usual 100+ :-)

Old March 24th 04, 01:49 PM
Ron Lee

MikeM wrote:

I had wanted to fly a bit lower than we did but not having the proper
frequency to announce intentions,

122.75 in Monument Valley. Not many tours flying this time of year.

I called a flight service that goes into Monument Valley and they said
122.9. I know that is the frequency for Gouldings Strip but have two
supposed frequencies for announcing position while flying among the
formations in the Valley.

Ron Lee
Old March 24th 04, 03:56 PM
MikeM

Jeff wrote:
the best and easiest thing to do when VFR is to call center and get flight
following.

Jeff,

FF is worthless at 1000' agl over most of the western US. In the
four corners area, ground is at ~4500'msl, no radar coverage
below about 8000 to 9000 msl. If you call Center for FF below
9000msl, they just say "unable"!

MikeM

Old March 24th 04, 06:46 PM
Jeff

yes I know FF is use less at 1000 ft AGL, but he was at 16000 ft and did not
want to decend for fear of hitting someone.
I never mentioned 1000 ft agl.
I only suggested he could use it to get lower and not have as much worry about
hitting someone as much, lower being anything under 16000

Old March 24th 04, 07:36 PM
MikeM

Jeff wrote:

yes I know FF is use less at 1000 ft AGL, but he was at 16000 ft and did not
want to decend for fear of hitting someone.
I never mentioned 1000 ft agl.
I only suggested he could use it to get lower and not have as much worry about
hitting someone as much, lower being anything under 16000

No, when the OP said "I thought that there was a frequency that pilots use to
announce their positions. Since I did not have it, I elected to stay high
rather than risk a mid-air.", you replied: "the best and easiest thing to do
when VFR is to call center and get flight following".

I pointed out that FF does nothing to alieviate the OP's original concern, and
would not have helped him avoid low flying tour planes...

MikeM

Old March 25th 04, 01:48 AM
Mike Adams

Jeff wrote:

ya flying into phoenix sunday it was a crappy ride, we got in about
noon and had a nice 80 degree x-wind at 15 kts with wind sheer alerts.
combination of that 90 degree temp making thermals, the wind whipping
off the rough terrain will do it every time.

I was going to mention that. I didn't fly Sunday but it was hot and
blustery here in Phoenix, and I suspected you had an "interesting" arrival.

Mike
Old March 25th 04, 02:27 AM
Ron Lee

MikeM wrote:

No, when the OP said "I thought that there was a frequency that pilots use to
announce their positions. Since I did not have it, I elected to stay high
rather than risk a mid-air.", you replied: "the best and easiest thing to do
when VFR is to call center and get flight following".

I pointed out that FF does nothing to alieviate the OP's original concern, and
would not have helped him avoid low flying tour planes...

MikeM

Exactly. At that point I was perhaps 10,500', having descended to
get closer pics of Shiprock not long before. And yes, I was
uncertain of the proper frequency then so I did what I considered to
be prudent. Since then, I have found out that the frequency is
likely 122.9 and the cruise altitude 6500' I also have the preferred
routing according to one tour operator.

That information makes for a safer low level sightseeing flight
through the area.

I know too well the hazards of other aircraft and "see and avoid" only
goes so far.

Ron Lee

Old March 25th 04, 04:36 AM
MikeM

Ron Lee wrote:

Since then, I have found out that the frequency is
likely 122.9 and the cruise altitude 6500' I also have the preferred
routing according to one tour operator.

122.9 is used in the immediate vicinity of Goulding's strip, and
all of the other "back country" strips in Utah. Most of the tour
aircraft have a regular sightseening tour route between Page,
Lake Powell, Rainbow Bridge, Navajo Mtn.

At this time of year, there are not that many flights in/out of
Gouldings. I have been in there about ten times, and it is no
worse than sharing the pattern at any other uncontrolled airport.

Gouldings is a great lunch stop, with a restaurant within walking
distance of the strip. Lodging and sightseening tours are available.
If you need fuel, stop at U96 (Cal Black Mem), about 25mi NW of
gouldings.

MikeM
www.UtahBackCountryPilots.org
Skylane '1MM