Busted TFR

Old June 18th 04, 04:27 PM
Bela P. Havasreti

Default Busted TFR

Somebody just busted the presidential TFR
near Seattle (F-16s escorted the offender back
to Crest Airpark (S36).

If you don't watch TV, always check the NOTAMS / TFRs
before ya fly!

Bela P. Havasreti
Old June 19th 04, 12:17 AM
C J Campbell

"Bela P. Havasreti" wrote in message
Somebody just busted the presidential TFR
near Seattle (F-16s escorted the offender back
to Crest Airpark (S36).

If you don't watch TV, always check the NOTAMS / TFRs
before ya fly!

Not good enough. The TFR time was extended by two hours less than five
minutes before the TFR was supposed to expire. Granted, this pilot was not
caught by that, but it is a miracle that several others were not.

The answer is to get rid of the TFRs. It is the only answer.

Old June 19th 04, 11:06 AM
Cub Driver

There is a good "Never Again!" article in AOPA Pilot in the recent
edition, which I just got around to reading, on the subject of busting
the DC ADIZ.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:27:18 GMT, Bela P. Havasreti
wrote:

Somebody just busted the presidential TFR
near Seattle (F-16s escorted the offender back
to Crest Airpark (S36).

If you don't watch TV, always check the NOTAMS / TFRs
before ya fly!

Bela P. Havasreti

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old June 21st 04, 06:54 PM
David Brooks

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Bela P. Havasreti" wrote in message
Somebody just busted the presidential TFR
near Seattle (F-16s escorted the offender back
to Crest Airpark (S36).

If you don't watch TV, always check the NOTAMS / TFRs
before ya fly!

Not good enough. The TFR time was extended by two hours less than five
minutes before the TFR was supposed to expire. Granted, this pilot was not
caught by that, but it is a miracle that several others were not.

The answer is to get rid of the TFRs. It is the only answer.

I didn't see the NOTAM (I wasn't flying that day anyway). Was it centered on
Fort Lewis?

-- David Brooks

Old June 21st 04, 07:33 PM
Bela P. Havasreti

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 10:54:22 -0700, "David Brooks"
wrote:

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Bela P. Havasreti" wrote in message
Somebody just busted the presidential TFR
near Seattle (F-16s escorted the offender back
to Crest Airpark (S36).

If you don't watch TV, always check the NOTAMS / TFRs
before ya fly!

Not good enough. The TFR time was extended by two hours less than five
minutes before the TFR was supposed to expire. Granted, this pilot was not
caught by that, but it is a miracle that several others were not.

The answer is to get rid of the TFRs. It is the only answer.

I didn't see the NOTAM (I wasn't flying that day anyway). Was it centered on
Fort Lewis?

-- David Brooks

It was a moving target (depending upon where his royal highness was
at the time). After listening to the briefer attempt to explain the
whole thing, I just interrupted him and said "Lemme make this easy
for you.... What time does the thing start and when does it end?
I'll just plan on not flying during that time period".

I did fly later that afternoon, but called FSS again to ask/verify if
it was OK for me to go flying.

I agree the best solution is to get rid of these stupid things....

Bela P. Havasreti
Old June 22nd 04, 03:47 AM
C J Campbell

wrote:

[...]

No, there were just two TFRs, one centered on Boeing Field and the other
centered on Gray. The one at BFI became active before AF 1 landed there and
stayed active until AF 1 departed for Gray. The one at Gray became active
when the President arrived there in the morning and ended when AF 1 picked
him up and departed. It was the TFR at Gray that was extended without
warning.

Old June 22nd 04, 03:46 PM

wrote:

I didn't see the NOTAM (I wasn't flying that day anyway). Was it centered on
Fort Lewis?

I did fly that afternoon around 4PM. Couldn't get through to the FSS, but
tracked Bush's travel from the news. NOTAMs vanished from the AOPA and site on
the original timeline.

There were 2 30 nm TFRs. One centered around Boeing Field (BFI) that popped up
for Bush's arrival and departure, and one centered on Fort Lewis that lasted
pretty much the entire time he was he

Centered on 473148N 1221807W: (Boeing Field - BFI)
30-nm-radius TFR up to 17,999-ft-MSL with inner 10-nm-radius no-fly zone up to
17,999-ft-MSL
Effective times:
2010 local until 2115 local, June 17
1130 local until 1235 local, June 18

Centered on 470509N 1223439W: (Fort Lewis - Gray AAF)
30-nm-radius TFR up to 17,999-ft-MSL with inner 10-nm-radius no-fly zone up to
17,999-ft-MSL
Effective time:
2040 local June 17 until 1200 local June 18

cleared, then busted virga Piloting 88 January 22nd 05 07:43 PM
Busted IFR Checkride Jon Kraus Instrument Flight Rules 77 May 4th 04 02:31 PM
Who's busted? Dan Luke Piloting 24 March 22nd 04 08:10 PM
rec.aviation.questions is busted Dan Jacobson General Aviation 2 November 18th 03 05:39 PM
Help - I busted into the Class B SEATAC airspace last night, does anyone have any advice ? steve mew Piloting 38 October 28th 03 06:08 PM