Owning Your Own Airplane: Insurance Required?

Old June 20th 04, 04:06 PM
Phoenix Pilot

Default Owning Your Own Airplane: Insurance Required?

I dont need to be preached to about the importance of having insurance
on your airplane, but I remember hearing somewhere recently that as a
aircraft owner, your not required by law to have it insured (the way
you are with a car.)

Is there any truth to this?
Old June 20th 04, 04:07 PM
Richard Kaplan

That is correct... no insurance is required legally. If you use the
airplane as collateral for a loan, however, you will most likely be required
to buy insurance. Also some airports require liability insurance including
hangar-renter insurance and/or aircraft liability insurance if you hangar
your airplane there.

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old June 21st 04, 10:51 AM
Cub Driver

Mandatory automobile insurance is not a universal. It depends on the
state. New Hampshire for example does not require insurance, at least
not unless you have had an accident and can't settle it out of your
own resources.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old June 22nd 04, 02:24 AM
Steve

I can't find more recent numbers but in 1995 there were six states
that required aircraft liability insurance; California, Maryland, New
Hampshire, Minnesota, South Carolina and Virginia. Make sure you
check to see what your individual state requires.

Old June 22nd 04, 03:09 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Cub Driver wrote:

Mandatory automobile insurance is not a universal. It depends on the
state. New Hampshire for example does not require insurance, at least
not unless you have had an accident and can't settle it out of your
own resources.

Not to get off topic too much, but as far as I'm concerned, mandatory
auto insurance is a racket. The irresponsible people in the $200
beat-up cars don't carry it even when it's mandatory, and when one of
them plows in to you, you're still screwed because they don't have
insurance, nor can they afford to compensate you.

JKG
Old June 22nd 04, 03:48 AM
C J Campbell

Many states require liability insurance. The list has expanded some since
1995.

Old June 22nd 04, 10:41 AM
Cub Driver

Not to get off topic too much, but as far as I'm concerned, mandatory
auto insurance is a racket. The irresponsible people in the $200
beat-up cars don't carry it even when it's mandatory, and when one of
them plows in to you, you're still screwed because they don't have
insurance, nor can they afford to compensate you.

Everyone I know carries "uninsured motorists" coverage. It may even be
that carriers in New Hampshire are required to insure you for it; I
don't know. So here in a state that does NOT have mandatory coverage,
you are actually insured against the situation you describe (provided,
of course, that you opt to insure yourself). It would be funny if the
non-mandate state ends up with more universal coverage than the
mandate state! Here, the only situation that goes uncovered is when
two uninsured motorists bash each other.

(There is always the pedestrian, of course ... )

Old June 22nd 04, 10:42 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:24:05 GMT, Steve
wrote:

I can't find more recent numbers but in 1995 there were six states
that required aircraft liability insurance; California, Maryland, New
Hampshire, Minnesota, South Carolina and Virginia. Make sure you
check to see what your individual state requires.

Funnier and funnier! New Hampshire? Live Free or Die?

Old June 22nd 04, 01:36 PM
Tom Sixkiller

wrote:

I can't find more recent numbers but in 1995 there were six states
that required aircraft liability insurance; California, Maryland, New
Hampshire, Minnesota, South Carolina and Virginia. Make sure you
check to see what your individual state requires.

Funnier and funnier! New Hampshire? Live Free or Die?

Yeah...not, "Live Irresponsibly or Die". (Unless "free" means having someone
else pay for your mistakes).

Oddly (well, maybe not THAT odd), following up on strictly a civil claim is
much harder than one that has a criminal penalty (failure to insure) as
well. You can do what you want to your neighbor, but don't screw with the
government.