Sectionals for GlidePlan

Old June 4th 14, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default Sectionals for GlidePlan

I've recently acquired the capability to make updated sectionals that can be used with GlidePlan. Kinda. Right now it is a pretty manual process that takes me about an hour or so for each one. I'm trying go gauge how much interest still remains in that program to see if it would be worth the time it will take me to automate the whole process and publish new sectionals for GlidePlan regularly on my website.

If you are in need of updated sectionals for GlidePlan, please contact me using the Questions and Comments link on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info. Let me know what sectionals you need.

I've also successfully done one custom chart for a contest site, but I'm not to the point where I could provide those yet -- the process just takes me too long. If I got very many requests, I'd either have to quit soaring or quite my job. And my wife tells me we need the money.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old June 4th 14, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gianni Isotope

Is GlidePlan still available for purchase? I've tried unsuccessfully to buy it online several times.
Old June 4th 14, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CJ[_3_]

Ditto. It's now totally unsupported by Matt Heron, the developer. Even
worse, you can't even *buy* a licence and self support! I managed to make
the required changes to Lynn Alleys excellent sectionals to 'self support'
but I'm afraid I can only use them in the limited, trial version.

Cumulus Soaring still advertises licences but it's unknown if there are
actually any for sale. Perhaps Paul will comment.

Casey
B3

Old June 4th 14, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 5:02:23 AM UTC-7, CJ wrote:
Ditto. It's now totally unsupported by Matt Heron, the developer. Even
worse, you can't even *buy* a licence and self support! I managed to make
the required changes to Lynn Alleys excellent sectionals to 'self support'
but I'm afraid I can only use them in the limited, trial version.

Cumulus Soaring still advertises licences but it's unknown if there are
actually any for sale. Perhaps Paul will comment.

Casey

B3

One big issue for GlidePlan was all the effort requires to stitch sectionals together to make unified maps that matched contest areas and common cross-country corridors. I still print maps for my own use using the old sectionals and contest area charts on the GlidePlan website.

If it were possible to generate GlidePlan-compatible maps for an arbitrary soaring area I'd _imagine_ it would be a relatively minor issue to get the software license key generator running again. I'll look into it.

Thanks Lynn for making the effort to get this kick-started.

Andy Blackburn
9B
Old June 4th 14, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I purchased it years ago and thought it was pretty useful. What I always thought would be great as a CFI is using these with terminal and not sectional charts. For student pilots soloing and freshly minted private pilots, having a very detailed and not very long range chart with conservative safety circles would be great and making them by hand is a pain in the ass. I emailed support about this maybe 2 years ago and never got a reply. Lynn, so you apparently know the inner workings of GlidePlan, can you even get it to work with terminal charts or is the scale of the charts GlidePlan supports fixed?

I also use it for cross country soaring, but unfortunately, yeah, my glideplan made charts use ancient sectionals.
Old June 4th 14, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Lynn,

Could not get the e-mail link to work, so I am posting here instead.

Updated maps for GlidePlan would be wonderful, especially for soaring/contest sites which require several sectionals. I would use Logan, Nephi, AirSailing, Montague, and Ephrata.

So if 10 pilots flying Nephi paid $10.00 for an updated map, that would be about $100.00/hr, right?
Old June 4th 14, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn (A8)

Another yes for supporting Glide Plan maps. I know Matt has put a ton of work into Glide Plan and I hope that he could see a way clear to release the program for general use if he is not interested in supporting the program. Matt did a brilliant job of knitting together the Sectionals for contest and sites then publishing them as such - which is key. Consider a subscription plan in which we can pay something reasonable for annual use.

Digital maps on the tiny screen are fine for inflight but nothing provides situational awareness of an area better than a printed map. Glide Plan makes it easy to import the waypoints for the area and print a full color Sectional in any scale you desire. You can color code waypoints, assign symbols, edit names and do a host of other functions with Glide Plan then print out a Sectional with this information overlaid on the map. The capability is a must have for contest pilots.

John Seaborn
Old June 4th 14, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Lynn,

I support using your sectionals stitched together use in GlidePlan. But, only for sites with enough pilots signing up to support your time/labor to do the work. Wholeheartedly agree with John Seaborn. My electronic moving map display is nice, but cannot compete with a paper map... at least for backup... if not otherwise.

Walt Rogers WX
Old June 4th 14, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I should probably take GlidePlan off my web site, but I haven't yet because
I still hold hope that it will be supported. I haven't received any orders
for it for some years. It is a neat product but it must take a lot of work
to support the maps. Matt is a great guy - perhaps he just got too busy
with life to support the product well. He is very slow to respond to
emails.

Perhaps it's time for him to sell it or hand it off to someone who is
motivated. The contest maps due offer some revenue potential.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old June 5th 14, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CJ[_3_]

Paul,

The million dollar question. Can you still sell a (functioning!) licence
key? I can update the sectionals myself, I just need a functioning copy of
GlidePlan (SeeG would be nice too if you can swing it).

Casey