Bothering a Pilot on Final

Old May 30th 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

Default Bothering a Pilot on Final

He stressed "clarity and brevity", and what he
needed to know, succintly

Clarity and brevity are not one of Larry's strong points. He also lacks a
little in the departments of flexibility and accepting the opinions of
others.

Old May 30th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 30 May 2008 06:59:17 -0500, "Viperdoc"
wrote in
:

He stressed "clarity and brevity", and what he
needed to know, succintly

Clarity and brevity are not one of Larry's strong points. He also lacks a
little in the departments of flexibility and accepting the opinions of
others.

Colonel, please state how you believe 'accepting the opinions of
others' relates to participation in the self-announce position and
intention broadcasts on CTAF at uncontrolled airports, the subject of
the article to which you followed up.

You're just still smarting from being enlightened about MOA airspace
not being reserved for the exclusive use of military pilots, and the
inapplicability of MARSA to civilian flights, as you apparently
believed. Don't take it personally, Jim. We all participate on
Usenet to learn, don't we?

Unfortunately, attacking the author of an article, instead of
addressing the points contained within the article, does not
contribute to the discussion. Rather, such personal attacks serve to
underscore the attacker's lack of a reasonable rebuttal, and
frustration at the inadequacy of their ability to articulate their
thoughts.

Old May 30th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,
Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

Let's face it. If the CTAF frequency is so busy that getting an
announcement that you are flying over at 4500 feet is a problem it might
not be a bad idea to get the announcement out there anyway.

In the northeast, the unicom frequencies are quite busy, not because
of local traffic, but because so few frequencies are shared by so
many airports.

Good point and one I hadn't thought of because I don't fly in that
environment.
Old May 30th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I really like are the guys who announce that they're "over-flying the
field
at 4500 feet, heading West..."

snip

You know, I have heard flight examiners do this. I have even heard them
criticize instructors for not teaching students to do this. You think they
are doing it because they are "silly" or "proud of their accomplishment?"

If every pilot over-flying every airport (remember, the example is at 4000'
AGL) in America announced their position on CTAF, all you'd hear on 122.8
would be a constant shriek.

Any instructor that teaches this practice needs to take another ride with
the FAA. Any DE that expects this practice is going to be sorely
disappointed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 30th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

But I really like to know if somebody is flying around my airport at
2000 or even 2500 feet.

Absolutely. When we're doing a sight-seeing ride at 2000' over the city,
(like we did yesterday), it's completely appropriate to announce your
position on CTAF.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 30th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cubdriver

On Fri, 30 May 2008 00:27:36 -0700 (PDT), "Ken S. Tucker"
wrote:

I've never heard excessive chatter

Now that it's coming on to summer, I find that it's a rare
flight--especially on a fine Friday, Saturday, or Sunday--when I don't
hear excessive chatter. Today it was a long-drawn-out conversation at
Spencer airport in Massachusetts. Somebody was heading south. They
discussed the destination, and in what plane. Then a volley of "Have a
good day" "Yeah you too" and all that sh*t. It seemed to go on for
five minutes, but I suppose it was only two or three.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
Old May 30th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2008-05-30 03:01:27 -0700, Larry Dighera said:

On Thu, 29 May 2008 23:27:49 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote in
2008052923274916807-christophercampbell@hotmailcom:

If you are experiencing difficulty instructing your students in the
proper use of radio communications as a result of the discussion that
takes place in this newsgroup, your instruction technique need work.
The source of your difficulty may be your choice to instruct your
students to deviate from federal regulations, but such a conclusion is
unlikely, as it would require YOU to take responsibility for YOUR
PROBLEM instead of ridiculously blaming the newsgroup.

Oh, grow up, Larry. My students learn to use the radios just fine --
and in accordance with FAA regulations, thank you very much.

As for the rest of your post, it provides ample evidence of exactly
what I said.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old May 30th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Cubdriver" usenet AT danford DOT net wrote in message

They discussed the destination, and in what plane.

Gee, I hope it wasn't mine.

Old May 30th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

wrote:
I've never heard excessive chatter

Now that it's coming on to summer, I find that it's a rare
flight--especially on a fine Friday, Saturday, or Sunday--when I don't
hear excessive chatter. Today it was a long-drawn-out conversation at
Spencer airport in Massachusetts. Somebody was heading south. They
discussed the destination, and in what plane. Then a volley of "Have a
good day" "Yeah you too" and all that sh*t. It seemed to go on for
five minutes, but I suppose it was only two or three.

Is there provision for mis-use of communications?
I read there was, but I don't recall it being applied.
If I was a controller, it would drive me batty hearing
that drivel constipate the control frequency.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollinswww.FlyingTigersBook.com

Cheers
Ken
Old May 30th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

wrote:
I've never heard excessive chatter

Now that it's coming on to summer, I find that it's a rare
flight--especially on a fine Friday, Saturday, or Sunday--when I don't
hear excessive chatter. Today it was a long-drawn-out conversation at
Spencer airport in Massachusetts. Somebody was heading south. They
discussed the destination, and in what plane. Then a volley of "Have a
good day" "Yeah you too" and all that sh*t. It seemed to go on for
five minutes, but I suppose it was only two or three.

Is there provision for mis-use of communications?
I read there was, but I don't recall it being applied.
If I was a controller, it would drive me batty hearing
that drivel constipate the control frequency.

I don't believe anyone here is talking about such communication on a
frequency in use by ATC. CTAF frequencies are what is being discussed.

US Navy Test Pilot School F/A-18 turning onto final approach at KNPA today Tom Callahan Aviation Photos 0 November 2nd 07 09:45 PM
US Navy Test Pilot School F/A-18 turning onto final approach at KNPA today Tom Callahan Aviation Photos 0 November 2nd 07 09:44 PM
US Navy Test Pilot School F/A-18 on final approach at KNPA today Tom Callahan Aviation Photos 0 November 2nd 07 09:44 PM
Sport Pilot Final Gilan Home Built 34 August 13th 04 03:20 PM
Sport Pilot Final Gilan Piloting 19 July 22nd 04 04:38 PM