A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Site ideas for a big Western US soaring trip next season

Old November 13th 20, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]
external usenet poster

Default Site ideas for a big Western US soaring trip next season

On Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 11:27:05 AM UTC-5, Airport Bum wrote:
Wow, so much great info, thanks! I have enough site ideas for 3 or 4 seasons now!

My plans for this season are coming together, in particular I think I have obtained the all-important "kitchen pass" from the spouse. I had to offer up a 2 week break in the middle of the soaring trip, to visit family and friends in the west. Not a bad trade at all, actually win-win.

Thanks again, all.

Cheers,
Jim J6
On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 12:11:27 PM UTC-6, Jim Hogue wrote:
So, it is raining outside and I haven't been soaring in a long time, so naturally I am thinking about soaring next season.... I'll bet I am not the only one.

The big plan is a soaring safari to the Western US next season. I may be able to take as long as 2+ months. I am looking for ideas for unique/new/underflown as well as classic soaring sites to try. And maybe other folk would like to hear ideas for such sites also, hence this post.

I fly a self-launcher (ASH-26E) so I don't need a towplane, but I do like the company (and buddy system) of other soaring pilots. I like to camp on the airfield in my simple truck camper (nice to have an electric power hookup). I will need to find a shower at least every few days, haha.

I would like to assemble a long list of possible sites, I'll be watching the weather and soaring conditions and deciding where to go based on what looks good at the time. And where fun folk and flying might be.

Here is where I have been on previous soaring trips, all of which were great fun and are on my do-again list:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado
Salida Colorado (although field elevation at 7500 ft is at, and on hot days above, my climb performance limits)
King Mountain Idaho (open next year, I hope)
Most of the Southern California desert sites, but many years ago....

Places that I have heard are great and want to try some day:

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho
Kingman Arizona (hello Paul!)

Please post comments on these sites and primarily more site ideas, as well as info on any camps or meets you know about that might not make it into the SSA calendar. Or PM me if you don't want broad publication of these camps/meets, understandable. Include as much detail as you can! Thanks!

Cheers,
Jim J6

If I could figure out how to start a new conversation on this POS interface, I would...TONOPAH - I see it come up from time to time. Is there any established tow availability or you need to set up a jamboree?
Old November 13th 20, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

If I could figure out how to start a new conversation on this POS interface, I would...TONOPAH - I see it come up from time to time. Is there any established tow availability or you need to set up a jamboree?

I am using Google Chrome to read this forum and at least on my page, there is a BIG button '+ New conversation' located in the top left corner right under 'Groups'. Hope that helps.

Uli
'AS'
Old November 14th 20, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

Marfa Gliders Soaring Center near the Davis Mountains and Big Bend National Park in southwest Texas is NOT closing.

Downsizing, yes. Closing, NO!
I just sold a couple of gliders and my '46 J3 Cub and still own 7 aircraft, including two towplanes for year-round aerotows plus my three large hangars. As your Designated Pilot Examiner, checkrides for all FAA glider ratings including Initial CFIG. FREE checkrides for glider ratings at Marfa since 2016.

Contact me well in advance to make sure that I'm available to facilitate your fun!
I offer CFIG renewals or reinstatements, a Rusty Pilot course. flight reviews, towpilot endorsements, old-school thermaling secrets and more.
Just renewed our Wave Window to 30,000' msl with FAA / ATC. Marfa Airport elevation is 5,000' ASL.
Marfa, Texas, is the site of the 15th National Landmark of Soaring and where "The Sun Ship Game" was filmed at the 1969 US Nationals.

Let's discuss details and dates. Please don't show up unannounced.
E-mail Website: www.flygliders.com
Link to a short video of flying at Marfa: https://vimeo.com/67137849

Burt
Old November 15th 20, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 13, 2020 at 1:33:15 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 11:27:05 AM UTC-5, Airport Bum wrote:
Wow, so much great info, thanks! I have enough site ideas for 3 or 4 seasons now!

My plans for this season are coming together, in particular I think I have obtained the all-important "kitchen pass" from the spouse. I had to offer up a 2 week break in the middle of the soaring trip, to visit family and friends in the west. Not a bad trade at all, actually win-win.

Thanks again, all.

Cheers,
Jim J6
On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 12:11:27 PM UTC-6, Jim Hogue wrote:
So, it is raining outside and I haven't been soaring in a long time, so naturally I am thinking about soaring next season.... I'll bet I am not the only one.

The big plan is a soaring safari to the Western US next season. I may be able to take as long as 2+ months. I am looking for ideas for unique/new/underflown as well as classic soaring sites to try. And maybe other folk would like to hear ideas for such sites also, hence this post.

I fly a self-launcher (ASH-26E) so I don't need a towplane, but I do like the company (and buddy system) of other soaring pilots. I like to camp on the airfield in my simple truck camper (nice to have an electric power hookup). I will need to find a shower at least every few days, haha.

I would like to assemble a long list of possible sites, I'll be watching the weather and soaring conditions and deciding where to go based on what looks good at the time. And where fun folk and flying might be.

Here is where I have been on previous soaring trips, all of which were great fun and are on my do-again list:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado
Salida Colorado (although field elevation at 7500 ft is at, and on hot days above, my climb performance limits)

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho

Please post comments on these sites and primarily more site ideas, as well as info on any camps or meets you know about that might not make it into the SSA calendar. Or PM me if you don't want broad publication of these camps/meets, understandable. Include as much detail as you can! Thanks!

Cheers,
Jim J6

Tonopah is a great place to fly in the summer, similar to Ely, and the airport welcomes gliders, but there is no tow operation. There is usually 1 week camp every year organized by LVVSA club and occasionally other safaris.

Ramy
Old November 21st 20, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ted Frost
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 11:11:27 AM UTC-7, Airport Bum wrote:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho

Cheers,
Jim J6

Having been a member of the Soaring Society of Boulder CO for 28yrs, I highly recommend that site! I also recommend Eagle Soaring airfield in Steamboat Springs CO, my current club. The Park mountain range is nearby and provides good lift during the May-September soaring season.
Ted Frost
Old November 22nd 20, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 21, 2020 at 11:03:14 AM UTC-5, Ted Frost wrote:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho

Cheers,
Jim J6

Having been a member of the Soaring Society of Boulder CO for 28yrs, I highly recommend that site! I also recommend Eagle Soaring airfield in Steamboat Springs CO, my current club. The Park mountain range is nearby and provides good lift during the May-September soaring season.
Ted Frost

Eagle Soaring airfield in Steamboat Springs CO

Winch and self-launch only? No aerotowing or can that be arranged if needed?

Uli
'AS'
Old November 22nd 20, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 10:11:27 AM UTC-8, Airport Bum wrote:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho

Cheers,
Jim J6

We’re having an operation in the Methow Valley (Washington) June 19-27. One tow plane will be operating out of Twisp and 2-3 out of Methow State. I’ve flown out of Ephrata some. The two airports in the Methow valley are much better! Self launchers are encouraged to launch out of Methow State.

Charlie
AS
Old November 28th 20, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ted Frost
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 21, 2020 at 5:59:44 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho

Cheers,
Jim J6

Ted Frost

Uli
'AS'

Old November 28th 20, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Ted Frost wrote on 11/21/2020 8:03 AM:
Ted Frost

I prefer a paved airport for my ASH26E self-launcher, instead of Eagle Soaring's turf. Would
operating out of Steamboat Springs be a reasonable alternative? It has a great runway and low
activity, according to Airnav.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old November 28th 20, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ted Frost
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 21, 2020 at 5:59:44 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:

Parowan Utah
Moriarty New Mexico
Montrose Colorado

Ely Nevada
Tonopah Nevada
Nephi Utah
Boulder Colorado
Rifle Colorado
Logan Utah
Mackay Idaho

Cheers,
Jim J6

Ted Frost

Uli
'AS'

Correct, we use a winch which usually allows us to achieve almost 2,000'agl.. No towing available yet, though one of our members has indicated an interest in using his C182 for that purpose. Field elevation of 6,700'msl should work for your aircraft. As you can see from the photos on the Steamboat Springs Soaring Assn. (SSSA) website http://soarsteamboat.org, it's a beautiful setting with lots of good XC potential nearby.