150 exhaust leack

Old October 5th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default 150 exhaust leack

Hello all,
today while flying from IA24 to MUT I turned my carb heat on and the
exhaust got noticably louder and I could smell exhaust. I shut the
heat off and opened the vents. Can the exhaust be repaired or are new
ones usually required. I'm going to have a mechanic look at asap.

Mike
PP-ASEL-IA

Old October 6th 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Kraus

Basically a rebuilt system is a new one. They reuse your old flanges adn
weld new pieces to the old flange.

We sent our exhaust to Aerospace Welding in Minnessota (1-800-597-4315)
and they did a good job. Dawley in Wisconsin(1-800-338-5402) also has a
good reputation. Good luck

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201
4443H @ UMP

Old October 6th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Thanks for the helpfull info, I just had my annual inspection done in
August but apparently nothing was found/cracked during the inspection.
I'll deffinitely wait until I get it fixed to fly it, now I've got an
excuse to rent my clubs citabria!

Hello all,
today while flying from IA24 to MUT I turned my carb heat on and the
exhaust got noticably louder and I could smell exhaust. I shut the
heat off and opened the vents. Can the exhaust be repaired or are new
ones usually required. I'm going to have a mechanic look at asap.

Mike
PP-ASEL-IA

You sure don't want to fly that airplane until it's fixed.
Even with the cabin heat off a small amount of monoxide will enter the
cockpit, since those valves aren't very airtight, and a small amount is
enough to kill or incapacitate you. One or both mufflers will be
cracked, probably seriously. Cessna's inspection procedures require an
inspection of them every 100 hours, but it's often ignored; in Canada
we have an AD requiring it every 150. And we regularly find cracks.
You can get small CO badges from your aircraft parts supplier
that you stick on the panel; they'll turn black if there's monoxide
present and they're sensitive enough to be useful.

Dan

Old October 6th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug[_1_]

When you get it rebuilt send the shroud too. That way they can be sure
of getting tight fit so your heater works well.