Deferrals: MEL (Minimum Equipment List) and POH For Cessna 172N '78

Old March 23rd 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sushidot

Default Deferrals: MEL (Minimum Equipment List) and POH For Cessna 172N '78

Hello-

I am a student pilot getting studying for my checkride. One question
that I want to get right is the issue mentioned in the subject header
above.

My instructor said that because we do not have a MEL, we use the POH
and anything that is considered Optional but is defective can be
deferred and the flight could be made. There are three ohter
designations in the Equipment list, "A" for additional, "S" for
substitiuded and "R" for required. I would think that the "A" stuff
probably could be deffered as well (ie AC equipment, autopilot, etc).

I am a bit unclear and wanted some clarification on this from the
group. Does this mean to refer to the equip list in the POH and
anything with the letter "O" or optional that is defective can be
deferred and the flight can be continued? Or can the stuff "A" and "O"
be deferred.

Thanks
SD.

Old March 23rd 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 13:29:53 -0700 (PDT), Sushidot
wrote:

[...]

Anything that is not R in the equipment list or required by the rules
the flight will be conducted under (day/VFR, night/IFR, whatever) can
be dispatched when broken in the absense of a KOEL (Kind of Operation
Equipment List) or MEL (FAA approved Minimum Equipment List).

For example the co-pilot seat is S (Standard), pilot seat is R
(Required), so as long as nobody is in the seat (or it's removed from
the aircraft) the copilot seat is not needed.

Don't forget about marking the defective equipment as such,
deactivating or removing it from the aircraft, and making an
appropriate mainteance log entry (see 91.213(3)). Weight and ballance
may change if you are removing the defective part.
Old March 24th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sushidot

wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the Reply...

This may be a dumb question, but what exactly is a KOEL? I came
across this term twice and sorta assume its the equipment list in the
POH...is that true or is it an additional list issued by the
manufacturer ?

Thanks
SD
Old March 24th 08, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 21:21:21 -0700 (PDT), Sushidot
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

A KOEL (Kind of Operation Equipment List) is an additional list in the
POH's Limitations section which shows equipment required per flight
rules in a tabular form. I've seen it in the new G1000 Cessna POHs,
as well as the Malibu and Meridian, I'm sure there are others. With
no MEL you go there first and if the equipment isn't listed there then
you go to the equipment list. For exaple, the Malibu has two vaccum
pumps, per the KOEL you can dispatch for VFR/IFR with one operational,
but you need both operational for flight into icing (since the pumps
also operate the de-ice boots).
Old March 24th 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sushidot

On Mar 24, 7:01 am, Peter Clark
wrote:
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 21:21:21 -0700 (PDT), Sushidot

wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Peter-

Thank you. I will check the POH for the KOEL. Here is another
question...what does the H2AD mean for the Lycomming o-320-h2ad as
well as the "o" in the front of the 320?
Thanks
JCL
Old March 24th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On 24 Mar 2008 20:05:49 GMT, Robert Moore
wrote:

Sushidot wrote
..what does the H2AD mean for the Lycomming o-320-h2ad as
well as the "o" in the front of the 320?

320 is the size (cu.in.) of the engine, h2ad indicates model differences,
and "O" indicates that the cylinders are "opposed" rather than "inline" or
"radial" or "Vee".

The "H" engine was one of Lycoming's worst products, bad camshaft material.
Numerous failures early in it's life with the resulant FAA Airworthiness
Directive requiring a special oil additive. Pretty much a non-issue now
since most major oils have this additive as standard.

I've got about 2,000 hours with an "H" engine without a single burp.

Yea, the stuff after the size tells mechanics about engine and
preinstalled accessory oprions (roller tappets, multiple vaccum pumps,
alternators, etc), most of it is pretty esoteric for the guy pushing
the throttle. You can also run into IO- engines, they have fuel
injection instead of carbs.

Good luck on the test!
Old March 24th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-24, Robert Moore wrote:
The "H" engine was one of Lycoming's worst products, bad camshaft material.
Numerous failures early in it's life with the resulant FAA Airworthiness
Directive requiring a special oil additive. Pretty much a non-issue now
since most major oils have this additive as standard.

Some wags said the -H2AD was Lycoming's way of telling pilots it'd have lots
of ADs.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old March 24th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 23, 2:29 pm, Sushidot wrote:
[...]

Look for the equipment list with the weight and
balance stuff.

Dan
Old March 24th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 24, 2:33 pm, Peter Clark
wrote:

Yea, the stuff after the size tells mechanics about engine and
preinstalled accessory oprions (roller tappets, multiple vaccum pumps,
alternators, etc), most of it is pretty esoteric for the guy pushing
the throttle. You can also run into IO- engines, they have fuel
injection instead of carbs.

O means naturally aspirated, carbureted, opposed, direct drive. IO
means injected opposed direct drive. TSIO means turbocharged injected
opposed direct drive. GTSIO means geared propeller output,
turbocharged, supercharged, injected opposed. GO means geared opposed.
TIGO means turbo'd, injected, geared opposed. Various other
combinations are out there.
Most of the trainers we know are O or IO. A GO engine is rare
now, but was used on the Cessna 175 (GO-300) and the Helio Courier
(GO-480). TIGO and GTSIO engines are found on some Aero Commanders
(680 model?) and the Cessna 421 and the Navajo.
The suffix (like E2D) has lots of meanings, from the engine
mounting arrangement to the accessory case (where things like magnetos
and vacuum pumps and fuel pumps and oil filters and alternators and
starters are mounted), to cylinder base types and so on. Roller cams
are not figured into any of this stuff with the Lycoming; it's a
relatively new development that changes the engine part number only,
not its O- designation, so that the TCDS isn't violated when one is
installed in an airplane that didn't have roller tappets previously.
Dan

Old March 24th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

Peter Clark wrote in
:

On 24 Mar 2008 20:05:49 GMT, Robert Moore
wrote:

Sushidot wrote
[...]

Lycoming has a list of all their reciprocating engine prefixes & suffixes
in a pdf file on their web pages. You can find it at
http://lycoming.com/support/tips-adv...ints/index.jsp
and then select "Maintenance". The current version has this list on page
28.

This is an excerpt from the information provided by Lycoming.

Format: PREFIX DISPLACEMENT SUFFIX

Prefix:

L = Left-hand Rotation Crankshaft
T = Turbocharged (exhaust gas driven)
I = Fuel Injected
G = Geared (reduction gear)
S = Supercharged (mechanical)
V = Vertical Helicopter
H = Horizontal Helicopter
A = Aerobatic
AE = Aerobatic Engine
O = Opposed Cylinders

Displacement: Cubic inches

Note — A displacement ending in “1” indicates a specific engine model
which incorporates integral accessory drive.

SUFFIX:

A or AA = Power Section & Rating
3 = Nose Section
B = Accessory Section
6 = Counterweight Application
D = Dual Magneto
(Subsequent changes to models are reflected in the suffix.)

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)

Cessna 172N with 0-320-H2AD Paul Owning 6 November 3rd 10 05:43 AM
equipment list? Tim Owning 30 March 8th 07 11:46 PM
Equipment List Required Documentation O. Sami Saydjari Owning 9 April 21st 04 02:57 AM
FS: 1979 Cessna 172N, Worcester MA Dwight Ernest Aviation Marketplace 0 April 6th 04 03:59 PM
MS FS 2004 ---minimum equipment for IFR Gerald Sylvester Simulators 14 December 22nd 03 10:05 PM