Possible "deliberate" plane crash

Old February 18th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default Possible "deliberate" plane crash

As our simulator captain has provided a link to, a plane crashed into
a building just an hour south of my home in Waco, TX.

What I want to say about this is that nobody knows whether or not this
crash was "deliberate" or not and probably won't for a long time. To
say otherwise is simply jumping to conclusions. Yes, it was a
government building, yes, the pilot had some possible mental
disability, but that could just as easily mean that he couldn't
control the plane just as it could mean his crash was deliberate.

Within a few hours the local & national media has already reported
several errors. Media & accuracy in aviation do not mix.

General aviation has weathered much more intense storms than this. I
do not agree that it could be a "disaster for general aviation", and
what would you care, anyway, MX? You don't fly, so any GA disaster
wouldn't affect you in the least.

"Damage control"? Indeed. Why don't you teach us all about that?

Ricky

Old February 18th 10, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Ricky schreef:
Media & accuracy in aviation do not mix.

That is certainly true, but I am beginning to suspect that this is
because (real world) pilots live to a higher degree of accuracy than
"the general public". They have to, and are trained to - at least I was,
with a certain degree of success, though not perfectly, alas.

FWIW we had a grave train collision down here in Belgium recently, 18
killed, the media reports weren't very impressive either. We should not
forget the media are commercial entities, accuracy might be a factor
them but it certainly doesn't precede. Sales are what counts.
Old February 18th 10, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Ricky schreef:
As our simulator captain has provided a link to, a plane crashed into
a building just an hour south of my home in Waco, TX.

And gain FWIW: inside rumours from undisclosable sources rumour that the
below crash WAS deliberate, tentative of insurance fraud. Only the guy
hadn't counted on the wreckage being lifted from the - hm - turtles and
turtoises atmosphere, neither on the FADEC's remaining legible.

http://www.mobilit.fgov.be/data/aero...nts/AA-9-1.pdf
to be read with all possible reserve both towards the authors and myself.
Old February 18th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:42:37 -0800 (PST), Ricky wrote:

General aviation has weathered much more intense storms than this.

Shortly after 9/11 I recall some kid flying a Cessna into a building in
Florida (?). GA lived through that.

--
Dallas
Old February 18th 10, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

jan olieslagers wrote:
We should not
forget the media are commercial entities, accuracy might be a factor
them but it certainly doesn't precede. Sales are what counts.

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the
newspaper, you're mis-informed." -- Mark Twain

"I am personally acquainted with hundreds of journalists, and the opinion
of the majority of them would not be worth tuppence in private, but when
they speak in print it is the newspaper that is talking (the pygmy scribe
is not visible) and then their utterances shake the community like the
thunders of prophecy." -- Mark Twain

More of Twain's quotes on newspapers:

http://www.twainquotes.com/Newspaper.html
Old February 18th 10, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:42:37 -0800 (PST), Ricky wrote:

a plane crashed into
a building just an hour south of my home in Waco, TX.

Interesting note... the guy's name is Joseph Andrew Stack.

The FAA registry lists no one by that name with a certificate. It will be
interesting to see if he was a student pilot or if he just figured out how
to fly today.

--
Dallas
Old February 18th 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John E. Carty

"Dallas" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 12:42:37 -0800 (PST), Ricky wrote:

a plane crashed into
a building just an hour south of my home in Waco, TX.

Interesting note... the guy's name is Joseph Andrew Stack.

The FAA registry lists no one by that name with a certificate.

Just because it isn't publicly listed in the registry doesn't mean he
doesn't hold a valid certificate :-)

Old February 18th 10, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn[_2_]

"jan olieslagers" wrote in message

Thanks to this creep, the TSA will now consider all pilots potential terrorists
and all small airplanes potential WMD.

This is really a bad day for all of us! Overspoken? sure! ...but
unfortunately not totally so. The sad truth is that we will all pay for this
guy's insanity.

Old February 19th 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:05:39 -0600, John E. Carty wrote:

Just because it isn't publicly listed in the registry doesn't mean he
doesn't hold a valid certificate :-)

Really?... I didn't know the option to be excluded from the registry
existed.

I did hear a report through the grapevine (DH) that the guy was a student.

--
Dallas
Old February 19th 10, 07:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

John E. Carty writes:

Just because it isn't publicly listed in the registry doesn't mean he
doesn't hold a valid certificate :-)

Yes, it does. You can have certain data hidden in the registry, but the
registry itself is public data--otherwise it wouldn't be possible to verify
whether or not someone actually does hold an airman certificate.

You can easily look up John Travolta, Arnold Palmer, or Angelina Jolie, for
example, although you might not be able to find their home addresses.