1 Fatal ...r.a.h or r.a.p?

Old February 4th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Default 1 Fatal ...r.a.h or r.a.p?

6% of homebuilt accidents occur on the first flight.

Statistically, there is an 0.8% chance that a first flight will end in an
accident.

I think I'm just going to skip my homebuilt's first flight, and start on the
second flight. ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old February 4th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

6% of homebuilt accidents occur on the first flight.

Statistically, there is an 0.8% chance that a first flight will end in an
accident.

I think I'm just going to skip my homebuilt's first flight, and start on the
second flight. ;-)

Great idea Jim, why didn't they think of that? LOL.

The Monk

Old February 4th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

My "first flight" WAS my second flight...

I was "taxi testing" my RV-6 when I became airborne for about a hundred
yards or so. Since I was not authorized to commit flight per the FAA
obviously I had not flown.... right??

John

Old February 4th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"John Ammeter" wrote in message
My "first flight" WAS my second flight...

I was "taxi testing" my RV-6 when I became airborne for about a hundred
yards or so. Since I was not authorized to commit flight per the FAA
obviously I had not flown.... right??

John

that makes me wonder, how does one report such a flight? technically you
broke the rules, and if no one saw you do it, it must not have happened.

but I like being an honest guy and would report myself anyway. what's the
penalty?

Old February 4th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

that makes me wonder, how does one report such a flight? technically you
broke the rules, and if no one saw you do it, it must not have happened.

but I like being an honest guy and would report myself anyway. what's the
penalty?

Take a telephone pole, and cut it of, so it is sticking out of the ground,
about a foot and a half.

Now, sit on it. Rotate side to side, and round and round, until your butt
cheeks touch the ground.

That is about like the penalty would be like.

You obviously have not been around the FAA, very much. You don't tell them
anything they don't ask. Period.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 4th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:

that makes me wonder, how does one report such a flight? technically
you broke the rules, and if no one saw you do it, it must not have
happened.

but I like being an honest guy and would report myself anyway. what's
the penalty?

Take a telephone pole, and cut it of, so it is sticking out of the
ground, about a foot and a half.

Now, sit on it. Rotate side to side, and round and round, until your
butt cheeks touch the ground.

That is about like the penalty would be like.

You obviously have not been around the FAA, very much. You don't tell
them anything they don't ask. Period.

And answer the question as they ask it. If they ask if you have a
watch the answer is yes or no. You don't look at your watch and tell
them what time it is.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 4th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Richard Lamb wrote:
Jerry Springer wrote:

A good share of these stories are about factory built certified
aircraft. Most kitbuilt aircraft now days are very safe.

Jerry

Only if they don't fly, Jerry...

And there are a lot of homebuilts that hardly ever leave the ground.

Richard

Not sure what you mean they are safe only if they do not fly? Are you
speaking of all aircraft in general or are you speaking only of
experimental aircraft? If you read the "2004 Nall" report you will find
that homebuilt aircraft have about the same rate of accidents as
factory built aircraft do. Ron W posted some statistic that relate to
first flight accidents, most of which are caused by fuel problems. This
risk can be eliminated by proper fuel flow testing before the first
flight IMO.

To the Cessna 172 driver that asked for proof that homebuilt aircraft
were safe please post you information saying they are not as safe as
any other aircraft flying. I find that is mostly the uniformed that
that have a preconceived notion that an aircraft built at home must not
be as safe as factory built aircraft. Most homebuilders are very
particulier and realize that it is their butts and their families and
friends that will be flying in these creations.

Jerry(flying my RV-6 over 16 years)Springer
Old February 4th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

("Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote)
And answer the question as they ask it. If they ask if you have a watch
the answer is yes or no. You don't look at your watch and tell them what
time it is.

I've been accused of telling people how to BUILD a watch, when all they
really wanted was the time. g

Montblack

Old February 4th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Jerry Springer wrote:
Richard Lamb wrote:

Jerry Springer wrote:

[...]

Easy Jerry, Didn't mean to offend (or frighten) anyone.

Yes, among the RV gang, most of them DO fly - some a lot.
But there are others who simply don't.
And there are a significant fraction that almost NEVER fly.

Now, according to Ron's statistics...
Factory test flights don't seem to have the same kind of numbers.

But, of course, YMMV...

Richard
Old February 4th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Montblack wrote:
("Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote)

And answer the question as they ask it. If they ask if you have a
watch the answer is yes or no. You don't look at your watch and tell
them what time it is.

I've been accused of telling people how to BUILD a watch, when all they
really wanted was the time. g

Montblack

Tell a man the time and you help him once, tell him to buy a watch
and he bothers you no more.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired