GA headed for regulatory trouble

Old July 4th 05, 04:51 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:Qaaye.120430$_o.46331@attbi_s71...
Cost is always a consideration. Folks apparently still don't understand
that
GPS is not essential to navigation.

Neither is vision. But I strongly advocate looking ahead once in a while.

No matter how hard I try, I still can't check my ass except in a mirror.

Old July 4th 05, 04:53 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The Washington, D.C. ADIZ is there, and not moving any time soon. We,

as
pilots, had better learn to live with it, and properly navigate through
it -- it's NOT difficult -- or our concept of Free Flight in America

will
be jeopardized.

Yes, we shouldn't violate it, but we also shouldn't stop fighting

against
it using all available legal means.

Bravo! Now THAT is a constructive attitude!

Of course, that assumes that the bureaucracy is going to give up it's
feathered nest because, well heck, because we asked them to.

Old July 4th 05, 07:51 PM
Jay Honeck

Although the quoted part of your message to which I was responding
makes no reference to not following the rules, perhaps your suggestion
of a mass pilot civil disobedience protest may have some merit.
Railing against the darkness of stupid, lethal policies implemented by
our government is the only power we posses to bring the brutish nature
of this offending ADIZ out into the light of public scrutiny.

This from the guy who doesn't want "Free Beer" mentioned on a pilot's
newsgroup, because it's "conduct unbecoming responsible airmen"???

Wow, Larry. You're positively turning into an anarchist in your old age!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 4th 05, 08:17 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 18:51:16 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
Eyfye.133143$nG6.75652@attbi_s22::

Although the quoted part of your message to which I was responding
makes no reference to not following the rules, perhaps your suggestion
of a mass pilot civil disobedience protest may have some merit.
Railing against the darkness of stupid, lethal policies implemented by
our government is the only power we posses to bring the brutish nature
of this offending ADIZ out into the light of public scrutiny.

This from the guy who doesn't want "Free Beer" mentioned on a pilot's
newsgroup, because it's "conduct unbecoming responsible airmen"???

It wasn't the mention of "Free Beer" to which I took offence. It was
the mention of free beer _en_route_.

Wow, Larry. You're positively turning into an anarchist in your old age!

;-)

I was merely agreeing with your suggestion. :-)
Old July 4th 05, 09:45 PM
Stubby

Larry Dighera wrote:

Railing against the darkness of stupid, lethal policies implemented by
our government is the only power we posses to bring the brutish nature
of this offending ADIZ out into the light of public scrutiny.

That is just plain wrong. Our voice in the law making process is
through Senators and Representatives. This Country is not ruled by
screaming malcontents, although there are a great number of people who
seem to think they can achieve something by being loud, fault-finding
critics.
Old July 4th 05, 10:15 PM
Matt Barrow

"Stubby" wrote in message
Larry Dighera wrote:

Railing against the darkness of stupid, lethal policies implemented by
our government is the only power we posses to bring the brutish nature
of this offending ADIZ out into the light of public scrutiny.

That is just plain wrong. Our voice in the law making process is
through Senators and Representatives.

Given the recent track record of Congress, that's not very promising.

This Country is not ruled by
screaming malcontents,

Are you kidding? Every heard that adage "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"?

although there are a great number of people who
seem to think they can achieve something by being loud, fault-finding
critics.

Like Michael Moore?

Old July 4th 05, 10:53 PM
Jay Honeck

I was merely agreeing with your suggestion. :-)

Personally, I think it would be excellent to organize a mass protest where
100s of planes all flew toward the ADIZ en masse. (Stopping short of
actually breaking the ADIZ, of course.) It could garner terrific press
coverage, and probably cause great confusion in ATC and the Administration.

Who knows, it might even make the point that the ADIZ is pointless? It
might even result in the ADIZ shrinking, or being eliminated.

My experience with working with pilots, however, indicates that organizing a
protest of this kind would be very difficult. Getting pilots in line is
like herding cats -- it ain't gonna happen easily.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 4th 05, 10:56 PM
Jay Honeck

although there are a great number of people who
seem to think they can achieve something by being loud, fault-finding
critics.

Like Michael Moore?

If we want to drive people away from GA, and harm our already tarnished
image, let's all start acting like Michael Moore.

Not.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 4th 05, 11:23 PM
Skywise

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

I was merely agreeing with your suggestion. :-)

Personally, I think it would be excellent to organize a mass protest
where 100s of planes all flew toward the ADIZ en masse. (Stopping short
of actually breaking the ADIZ, of course.) It could garner terrific
press coverage, and probably cause great confusion in ATC and the
Administration.

Who knows, it might even make the point that the ADIZ is pointless? It
might even result in the ADIZ shrinking, or being eliminated.

My experience with working with pilots, however, indicates that
organizing a protest of this kind would be very difficult. Getting
pilots in line is like herding cats -- it ain't gonna happen easily.

Unfortunately it would probably have the opposite effect. The government
would likely see it as an excuse to simply end GA across the board.

I could see the congressional hearings now,

"Obviously GA is a threat to the national security and should
be banned. Look at what hundreds of miscreant private pilots
did. They all worked together to attack the security of the
nations capitol. They are a threat on the same order as Al Queda."

Just as Al Queda and their kin fanaticals think so differently that
they embrace what we find appalling (eg suicide bombing), our
government thinks so differently from how a normal intelligent
educated rational human being does that they would react differently
than we would to the same situation. They've already proven that
with the existence of the ADIZ.

No, the problem is not so much organizing the protest, but rather
designing the protest to elicit the desired response.

Brian

Blog: http://www.skywise711.com/Blog

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old July 4th 05, 11:28 PM
Skywise

Stubby wrote in news:mdSdnf-
:

Larry Dighera wrote:

Railing against the darkness of stupid, lethal policies implemented by
our government is the only power we posses to bring the brutish nature
of this offending ADIZ out into the light of public scrutiny.

That is just plain wrong. Our voice in the law making process is
through Senators and Representatives. This Country is not ruled by
screaming malcontents, although there are a great number of people who
seem to think they can achieve something by being loud, fault-finding
critics.

Yes, elected officials that get elected by the citizens.

Many people will say, "if you don't like the guy in office, vote
'em out." The problem is, who do you vote in? For the past several
elections it seems as if voters at every level of election have
but a choice between the Devil or Satan. Take your pick. Even if
a large number of poeple voted for some other fellow(s), one of the
two parties (reps & dems) still have the simple majority and therefore
win.

To borrow from Hollywood, I feel there should be a selection for
"None Of The Above" and have it tallied and reported. Sure, one of
the candidates will still win, but it would make a hell of a statement
of lack of confidence when 75% of the vote goes to "None Of The Above".

Brian

Blog: http://www.skywise711.com/Blog

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Four States and the Grand Canyon Mary Daniel or David Grah Soaring 6 December 6th 04 10:36 AM
Avionic trouble Henning DE Home Built 1 September 10th 04 10:23 PM
The Trouble With E-Ballots WalterM140 Military Aviation 0 June 26th 04 09:46 PM
A little engine trouble Peter Duniho Piloting 29 June 17th 04 07:29 PM
is anyone else having trouble getting messages downloaded? Gilan Home Built 1 August 22nd 03 01:49 AM