Gliding in Canada

Old December 26th 04, 04:14 PM
Rachel Hine

Default Gliding in Canada

Hi everyone. Hope you are all enjoying the festive
period.

Has anyone had any experience of gliding in Canada?

Rachel

Old December 26th 04, 05:40 PM
Charles Yeates

54 years worth --- but not at this time of year :))

--
Charles Yeates

Swidnik PW-6U & PW-5
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/yeatesc/world.html

Old December 26th 04, 07:26 PM
keithw

There are a number of places to soar in Canada Rachel . You can check
out http://www.sac.ca/sac-club.html for a list of clubs.

I also invite you to check out where I fly ...

www.soartherockies.com

www.canadianrockiessoaring.com

Keith

--
keithw
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old December 27th 04, 01:02 AM

Hi Rachel,

You might want to check those 2 clubs:

http://www.vsa.ca/

Awesome location, next to Hope (150 km East of Vancouver). Very
interesting area. Ridge, thermal and wave flights available. Club
atmosphere is great, VSA is not a commercial operation and has around
65 members, lots of gliders available.

http://www.pembertonsoaring.com/

Commercial operation 60 km North of Whistler (the Winter Olympic 2010
site). Great mountains all around the place. It is 3 hours drive away
from Vancouver. Hope is only one hour.

I have heard of a nice club in Invermere British Columbia Rockies.
Great location but you might need to stay there a full week as it is
700 km East of Vancouver. http://www.soartherockies.com/

Then if you like flat land you have many club between Halifax and
Calgary. But if you'd like to do some ridge flight it is most probably
going to be between Calgary and Vancouver.

I hope that helps.

Matthieu

Old December 27th 04, 01:52 AM
Sid Wood

In Ontario, check out http://www.sosaglidingclub.com/
or http://www.yorksoaring.com/
or http://www.geocities.com/ggsa_ca/club/begin.htm

Old December 27th 04, 02:38 AM
keithw

Where are you from Rachel ?..Are you hoping to take a vacation to Canada
and do some X/C flying ?. Bringing your own glider ?

Keith

Old December 27th 04, 07:30 AM
Pete Brown

I would like to fly in the Rockies or the Cowley wave. As a
U.S glider pilot and CFIG, what do I need to do to be able
to fly a C-registered glider and/or take passengers.

Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska,

keithw wrote:
There are a number of places to soar in Canada Rachel . You can check
out http://www.sac.ca/sac-club.html for a list of clubs.

I also invite you to check out where I fly ...

www.soartherockies.com

www.canadianrockiessoaring.com

Keith

--
keithw
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

--

Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Old December 28th 04, 12:42 AM
S. Snell

The Soaring Association of Canada, http://www.sac.ca , has a lot of information on soaring in Canada. In particular, it has a page which lists most or all of
the clubs in Canada. The club list page can be found at
http://www.sac.ca/sac-club.html

In general, soaring clubs pretty much shut down for the winter in Canada and
re-open sometime in the spring.

Hope this helps!

Old December 28th 04, 02:21 AM
keithw

Anyone hear an echo in ths room ?.....ha ha ha

Old December 30th 04, 05:34 AM
Ronald E Baker

Hi Rachel, If you are going to be in the Toronto area try the South Ontario
Soaring Association (SOSA) I flew there some years ago. A good contact is
Terry McElligott. You can contact him by E-mail at
You will find Terry is a great guy and used to work at a radio station that
played nothing but jazz. Cheers, Ron Baker (Back home in sunny Australia)