FAA Licensing and Renal Failure

Old September 20th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mdginzo

Default FAA Licensing and Renal Failure

I have been told that a end-stage dialysis patient on dialysis is
unlikely to pass a FAA medical for a pilot's license. I am going to
be soon on PD dialysis which does not require me to dialyze in a
clinic, but at home. Otherwise, I have no other symptopms that would
make it unable for me to pilot a plane. I am on no medicines that make
me unable to either. So, does anyone know where I can find out about
the chances of me being certified for a pilot's license? Where can I
get good information about flying with health problems.

Old September 20th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
xyzzy

On Sep 20, 4:29 pm, mdginzo wrote:
I have been told that a end-stage dialysis patient on dialysis is
unlikely to pass a FAA medical for a pilot's license. I am going to
be soon on PD dialysis which does not require me to dialyze in a
clinic, but at home. Otherwise, I have no other symptopms that would
make it unable for me to pilot a plane. I am on no medicines that make
me unable to either. So, does anyone know where I can find out about
the chances of me being certified for a pilot's license? Where can I
get good information about flying with health problems.

Join AOPA and make use of their medical certification team.

Old September 20th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

mdginzo wrote:
I have been told that a end-stage dialysis patient on dialysis is
unlikely to pass a FAA medical for a pilot's license. I am going to
be soon on PD dialysis which does not require me to dialyze in a
clinic, but at home. Otherwise, I have no other symptopms that would
make it unable for me to pilot a plane. I am on no medicines that make
me unable to either. So, does anyone know where I can find out about
the chances of me being certified for a pilot's license? Where can I
get good information about flying with health problems.

Any entrapped air in the abdominal cavity when you do your dialysis
procedure, whether overnight or continuous ambulatory, has the ability
to expand at altitude causing pain and possibly incapacitation. This is
an issue wether you are piloting or a passenger.

the other issue is that if not properly monitored, incomplete
electrolyte correction can lead to conditions that can cause sudden
incapacitation - hyperkalemia.

Good luck, but I would honestly expect a denial on this one. If you find
otherwise, PLEASE let the group know.

Dave
NOT an AME.

Hypothetical ?? About Licensing Kyle Boatright Piloting 5 March 14th 07 12:59 PM
Gyro's and Licensing TM Rotorcraft 0 December 31st 06 01:56 AM
licensing for homebuilts Tater Schuld Home Built 24 February 27th 06 11:55 AM
Failure #10 Capt.Doug Piloting 7 April 13th 05 02:49 AM
BGA and licensing Mark James Boyd Soaring 6 August 24th 04 03:16 AM