Lycoming O-540, "normal" CHT/EGT???

Old July 31st 05, 10:07 PM
USA

Default Lycoming O-540, "normal" CHT/EGT???

Hello everyone, I finally installed an EDM700 on my '68 235C. What a big
change in the way I operate now.

Can I get some feedback from you O-540 drivers on what you have seen
as "normal" in EGT & CHT? I am specifically interested in knowing
about those at your run-up, on climb out, at cruise, and at what altitudes.

Also, please tell me if you fly according to the power setting chart in
the POH.

Thanks in advance. I've learned a whole bunch from you all!

Fred
Old July 31st 05, 10:19 PM

USA wrote:
: Hello everyone, I finally installed an EDM700 on my '68 235C. What a big
: change in the way I operate now.

: Can I get some feedback from you O-540 drivers on what you have seen
: as "normal" in EGT & CHT? I am specifically interested in knowing
: about those at your run-up, on climb out, at cruise, and at what altitudes.

: Also, please tell me if you fly according to the power setting chart in
: the POH.

For the most part, conventional wisdom is that absolute EGT isn't really
comparable between engines/airframe combinations. It's most useful as a *relative*
measure for your own craft. I'm assuming that you're talking of a 235 HP O-540 which
is low-compression. The compression ratio will affect the EGT by a significant margin
(CHT not quite as much). You didn't say which type of CHT gauge you have... the spark
plug types read 50-75 degrees hotter than the "official" bayonet style.

All important details that make a difference.

For the record, my O-360 high-compression (your engine with high-compression and fewer
jugs) in my effective PA28-180C are as follows (with spark-plug CHT probes)

EGT: Climbout full-rich at 1400. I'll lean to that in a long climb.
Cruise (65%) 1600-1650 leaned to peak. Over 65% it's 50 degrees rich of that.
CHT: Takeoff 250. I'll not pour the coals to it until it's over.
Climb 400-425 even in a long climb. That's the spark-plug type so it's
"officially" 350-375
Cruise 400.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old August 1st 05, 12:35 AM
Michelle P

My engine monitor does not give absolute values for the EGT's
My CHT's run in the low 400s most of the time.
Oil temp in the low 200's.
Michelle IO-540-W1A5 (no D thank you very much)

Old August 1st 05, 08:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Usa,

Are you familiar with the engine management columns by John Deakin at
www.avweb.com? Required reading, IMHO.

CHTs should never be above 400 F. EGTs don't really matter that much.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)