Wendezeiger needle/ball repair

Old December 2nd 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default Wendezeiger needle/ball repair

I have a Wendezeiger needle/ball gyro that does not work anymore. I am
wondering if there might be a repair station that still works on these
instruments. It is quite old, it came out of my Austria I bought
several years ago.

Thanks,
Brad
Old December 2nd 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

Brad,

Gyro House in Auburn, CA. Not sure they'll do it, but you could ask.

http://www.gyrohouse.com/overhaul.htm

From what I know, they have a good reputation.

bumper

Old December 2nd 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Dec 2, 10:55*am, Brad wrote:
I have a Wendezeiger needle/ball gyro that does not work anymore. I am
wondering if there might be a repair station that still works on these
instruments. It is quite old, it came out of my Austria I bought
several years ago.

Thanks,
Brad

No one will want to touch it if it has radium on it...But Keystone
Instruments in Pa is a good outfit for instrument repair, they can
even silk screen up some fresh dials to match whatever style etc.
http://www.keystoneinstruments.com/

paul
Old December 3rd 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 2, 12:55*pm, Brad wrote:
I have a Wendezeiger needle/ball gyro that does not work anymore. I am
wondering if there might be a repair station that still works on these
instruments. It is quite old, it came out of my Austria I bought
several years ago.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad,
My pal Paul Nelson here in Ames would likely do it. He's an
instrument and clock fanatic with a house full of post modern tech
gadgets, navigational, communications, and survival gear. Both Tony
and I have had him fix instruments for us. The local I.A.s will
approve his work too. He takes his time but is very affordable.

Matt
Old December 3rd 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Dec 2, 4:35*pm, wrote:
On Dec 2, 12:55*pm, Brad wrote:

I have a Wendezeiger needle/ball gyro that does not work anymore. I am
wondering if there might be a repair station that still works on these
instruments. It is quite old, it came out of my Austria I bought
several years ago.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad,
My pal Paul Nelson here in Ames would likely do it. *He's an
instrument and clock fanatic with a house full of post modern tech
gadgets, navigational, communications, and survival gear. *Both Tony
and I have had him fix instruments for us. *The local I.A.s will
approve his work too. * He takes his time but is very affordable.

Matt

Hi Matt,

that sounds like the perfect solution. This thing is old, I mean
REALLY old. It runs on 3 D cell batteries and when it was working was
really nice. It's been sitting in my shop for several years now.

I had an interesting wave flight yesterday, and I see a real value in
having an instrument like this in my panel. The instrument does not
need cert if it goes into my homebuilt does it?

Matt, put me in touch with this guy if you would please!

Thanks,
Brad
Old December 3rd 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Me, too, Matt. As long as we don't overload him. Wouldn't want to risk
messing up a good thing you have. Mine has been sitting on the shelf for
18 years after being removed from a 1-26 I bought after it got blown
over.

I could also live with mine donating parts to get another going, if
needed, as I have since bought another that actually works!

Steve Leonard
Wichita, KS

Old December 3rd 08, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 2, 7:30*pm, Steve Leonard wrote:
Me, too, Matt. *As long as we don't overload him. *Wouldn't want to risk
messing up a good thing you have. *Mine has been sitting on the shelf for
18 years after being removed from a 1-26 I bought after it got blown
over.

I could also live with mine donating parts to get another going, if
needed, as I have since bought another that actually works!

Steve Leonard
Wichita, KS

I'll talk to Paul and see how much work he wants. He does this sort
of thing for fun but it pretty serious about it. Wish I could
introduce you guys directly to Paul. He's a cool guy. Worked on the
second stage engine of the Saturn V. Was in the blockhouse for the
first launch. Actually, Paul is the guy who started taking me up in
his Cessna 140 occasionally and introduced me to the glider club back
when I was an aimless college nit wit. He has the "manual" for the
Saturn V rocket. It's about 5 inches thick with wiring diagrams that
fold out 5 pages long. COOL.
Old December 3rd 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Dec 2, 9:48*pm, wrote:
[...]

Sounds good Matt, let me know what you findout. Hope he can fit it in
to his schedule, while not a Saturn V, it should be a fun

Brad

Ball Valve,Needle Valve,Snubber,Gauge Cock Sale on good price valvetom Piloting 0 November 28th 06 02:32 AM
Brass Ball Valve,Gas Valve,Needle Valve,Angle Valve,Hose Bibcock Sale on good price valvetom Piloting 0 November 28th 06 02:25 AM
Wendezeiger Turn and Bank manual/info keelstrake Soaring 1 April 18th 06 04:42 PM
Jumpy needle Ludovic Launer Soaring 3 April 5th 05 07:26 AM
Ball 100 Vario Repair? Bob Johnson Soaring 0 August 19th 04 03:27 PM