Rigging grease recommendations for long-term-rigged gliders

Old February 2nd 20, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Rigging grease recommendations for long-term-rigged gliders

On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 3:43:01 PM UTC-8, Jim Hogue wrote:
So, I have been using white lithium grease for decades for all my glider fittings. This has worked out fine, no problems ever, all my fittings have stayed nice, with no damage of any kind.

However, now that I have an 18 meter motorglider and am retired and blessed with time to go soar, my rigging habits have changed. I now typically keep my glider rigged for weeks at a time when flying at soaring safari or contest sites. When based at my home 'drome off season, I have a hangar so I am typically rigged for months at a time off season.

A person knowledgeable about such things recently told me that white lithium grease for the main high stress attach points (wing pins and lift pins) is not good, it dries out and/or cannot stand up to or stay in place due to the high stresses on those components, and the result is scoring. This makes sense to me, and I am thinking about changing to a better grease for long-term rigging. He suggested molybdenum disulfide grease.

I would like to invite comments on this. Are there other options for grease for long-term rigged gliders? What are the best sources (USA) for such greases?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Jim J6

Super Lube comes in an EP version, about twice the resistance to extreme pressures than their normal version:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could use molyD on the lift and drag pins as they aren't brass, and the main pins never wear (except through ham fisted assembly). But that seems fiddly. I've never seen a glider with more than a few hundred hours that didn't have some fretting on the pins, so it may be inevitable.
Old February 3rd 20, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 6:43:01 PM UTC-5, Jim Hogue wrote:
[...]

Another thought:
If you have a one man rigger, which almost all of us do,it isn't that hard to put a wing stand on one side , and the rigger on the other, like you are taking it apart, then pull the pins and slide the wings out enough(maybe 2 inches)to give the pins a fresh smear, and put it back together. You already have the alignment. I'll bet to could be done in less than 15 minutes. Cost is the price of wing root tape.
FWIW
UH
Old February 3rd 20, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

I would suggest a good quality wheel bearing grease. The nastier and stickier the better.
UH

Try "Flamingo Grease." Nasty, Sticky and Pink!
Made for boat trailer wheel bearings that dip into salt water in the Florida Keys.
Used it on my Blaink L-23 fittings when I had Miami Gliders and now at Marfa Gliders in southwest Texas since 2001 (where I traded rust for dust.)
Find something similar - nasty and sticky (and pink) - perhaps in a marine supply store.

Note the Blank L-23 horizontal T-tail stabilizer is very hard to remove after an outlanding or approaching storm if the pins have not been cleaned and greased every 3 months. Changed to "Flamingo Grease" and it slid off (forward) without using the expletive deleted words, a rubber mallet and wooden dowel. Mallets and hammers on aircraft are not recommended!
Old February 3rd 20, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Schempp-Hirth manual just specifies "acid free grease". Which types of grease are not acid free?
Old February 4th 20, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

I believe our national dealer has recommended Master Pro Multi Purpose
Lithium Grease. If you're looking a a nasty messy gooey black grease
suitable for wheel bearings, this one fills the bill perfectly.

I've always been happy with the white lithium stuff in a tube myself.

-Dave

Old February 4th 20, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

I had the lift pins replaced on my ASH 26 E at 3000 hours, due to pitting and
wear. The wings weren't loose or making any noise, but Rex Mayes was doing the
3000 hour inspection, and said it was a good idea.

I rigged it for about half it's flights, the other half it remained assembled,
primarily at glider camps. I used various grease, but primarily the grease that
came with the glider in a little unmarked - thick amber axle grease is the look of
it. I was not very diligent with greasing the pins.

The pitting is something that proceeds slowly, so you have years to order
replacement lift pins (or rotate them 180 deg, as some pilots do).

Old February 4th 20, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Hard to think there is any techincal requirement for special grease with glider main and lift pins. The enviroment is not that extreme. Just put some clean vaseline on pins and clean old dirty vaseline off every time you rig. This has been done succesfully for close to 100 years now. Some pin wear is pretty normal during 3000 hrs no matter what grease you use.
Old February 4th 20, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

I have been using WD40 spray grease for a couple of seasons. Easy to apply
an non messy. They do two variants including a lithium based grease which
is good for high loads -25C to 130C

Any reason not to?

Jim

Old February 4th 20, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mardi 4 février 2020 09:08:00 UTC+1, krasw a écritÂ*:
Hard to think there is any techincal requirement for special grease with glider main and lift pins. The enviroment is not that extreme. Just put some clean vaseline on pins and clean old dirty vaseline off every time you rig. This has been done succesfully for close to 100 years now. Some pin wear is pretty normal during 3000 hrs no matter what grease you use.

Absolutely. I have been using plain automotive grease for the last 20+ years on my gliders and can't imagine why I should give it any more thought.
Old February 4th 20, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 12:08:00 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:
Hard to think there is any techincal requirement for special grease with glider main and lift pins. The enviroment is not that extreme. Just put some clean vaseline on pins and clean old dirty vaseline off every time you rig. This has been done succesfully for close to 100 years now. Some pin wear is pretty normal during 3000 hrs no matter what grease you use.

Super Lube- has the same consistency and appearance as Vaseline just not as messy and goes on thin.

The Long-Term Outlook for the U.S. Navy’s Fleet - CBO Mike Naval Aviation 2 January 28th 10 09:46 PM
Long term storage JSBOUGHER Owning 19 October 18th 06 11:49 AM
Easily single rigged gliders Bill Alexander Soaring 12 December 3rd 04 04:40 AM
Composite Aircraft in the long term... Jay Honeck Owning 29 September 9th 03 12:55 AM
Composite Aircraft in the long term... Jay Honeck Piloting 29 September 9th 03 12:55 AM