A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Rigging grease recommendations for long-term-rigged gliders

Old February 2nd 20, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default Rigging grease recommendations for long-term-rigged gliders

On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 3:43:01 PM UTC-8, Jim Hogue wrote:
So, I have been using white lithium grease for decades for all my glider fittings. This has worked out fine, no problems ever, all my fittings have stayed nice, with no damage of any kind.

However, now that I have an 18 meter motorglider and am retired and blessed with time to go soar, my rigging habits have changed. I now typically keep my glider rigged for weeks at a time when flying at soaring safari or contest sites. When based at my home 'drome off season, I have a hangar so I am typically rigged for months at a time off season.

A person knowledgeable about such things recently told me that white lithium grease for the main high stress attach points (wing pins and lift pins) is not good, it dries out and/or cannot stand up to or stay in place due to the high stresses on those components, and the result is scoring. This makes sense to me, and I am thinking about changing to a better grease for long-term rigging. He suggested molybdenum disulfide grease.

I would like to invite comments on this. Are there other options for grease for long-term rigged gliders? What are the best sources (USA) for such greases?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Jim J6

Super Lube comes in an EP version, about twice the resistance to extreme pressures than their normal version:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could use molyD on the lift and drag pins as they aren't brass, and the main pins never wear (except through ham fisted assembly). But that seems fiddly. I've never seen a glider with more than a few hundred hours that didn't have some fretting on the pins, so it may be inevitable.
Old February 3rd 20, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 6:43:01 PM UTC-5, Jim Hogue wrote:
So, I have been using white lithium grease for decades for all my glider fittings. This has worked out fine, no problems ever, all my fittings have stayed nice, with no damage of any kind.

However, now that I have an 18 meter motorglider and am retired and blessed with time to go soar, my rigging habits have changed. I now typically keep my glider rigged for weeks at a time when flying at soaring safari or contest sites. When based at my home 'drome off season, I have a hangar so I am typically rigged for months at a time off season.

A person knowledgeable about such things recently told me that white lithium grease for the main high stress attach points (wing pins and lift pins) is not good, it dries out and/or cannot stand up to or stay in place due to the high stresses on those components, and the result is scoring. This makes sense to me, and I am thinking about changing to a better grease for long-term rigging. He suggested molybdenum disulfide grease.

I would like to invite comments on this. Are there other options for grease for long-term rigged gliders? What are the best sources (USA) for such greases?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Jim J6

Another thought:
If you have a one man rigger, which almost all of us do,it isn't that hard to put a wing stand on one side , and the rigger on the other, like you are taking it apart, then pull the pins and slide the wings out enough(maybe 2 inches)to give the pins a fresh smear, and put it back together. You already have the alignment. I'll bet to could be done in less than 15 minutes. Cost is the price of wing root tape.
FWIW
UH
Old February 3rd 20, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

I would suggest a good quality wheel bearing grease. The nastier and stickier the better.
UH

Try "Flamingo Grease." Nasty, Sticky and Pink!
Made for boat trailer wheel bearings that dip into salt water in the Florida Keys.
Used it on my Blaink L-23 fittings when I had Miami Gliders and now at Marfa Gliders in southwest Texas since 2001 (where I traded rust for dust.)
Find something similar - nasty and sticky (and pink) - perhaps in a marine supply store.

Note the Blank L-23 horizontal T-tail stabilizer is very hard to remove after an outlanding or approaching storm if the pins have not been cleaned and greased every 3 months. Changed to "Flamingo Grease" and it slid off (forward) without using the expletive deleted words, a rubber mallet and wooden dowel. Mallets and hammers on aircraft are not recommended!
Old February 3rd 20, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The Schempp-Hirth manual just specifies "acid free grease". Which types of grease are not acid free?
Old February 4th 20, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell
external usenet poster

I believe our national dealer has recommended Master Pro Multi Purpose
Lithium Grease. If you're looking a a nasty messy gooey black grease
suitable for wheel bearings, this one fills the bill perfectly.

I've always been happy with the white lithium stuff in a tube myself.

-Dave

On 2/1/20 4:42 PM, Jim Hogue wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Jim J6

Old February 4th 20, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

I had the lift pins replaced on my ASH 26 E at 3000 hours, due to pitting and
wear. The wings weren't loose or making any noise, but Rex Mayes was doing the
3000 hour inspection, and said it was a good idea.

I rigged it for about half it's flights, the other half it remained assembled,
primarily at glider camps. I used various grease, but primarily the grease that
came with the glider in a little unmarked - thick amber axle grease is the look of
it. I was not very diligent with greasing the pins.

The pitting is something that proceeds slowly, so you have years to order
replacement lift pins (or rotate them 180 deg, as some pilots do).

kinsell wrote on 2/3/2020 6:37 PM:
I believe our national dealer has recommended Master Pro Multi Purpose Lithium
Grease.* If you're looking a a nasty messy gooey black grease suitable for wheel
bearings, this one fills the bill perfectly.

I've always been happy with the white lithium stuff in a tube myself.

-Dave

On 2/1/20 4:42 PM, Jim Hogue wrote:
So, I have been using white lithium grease for decades for all my glider
fittings.* This has worked out fine, no problems ever, all my fittings have
stayed nice, with no damage of any kind.

However, now that I have an 18 meter motorglider and am retired and blessed with
time to go soar, my rigging habits have changed.* I now typically keep my glider
rigged for weeks at a time when flying at soaring safari or contest sites.* When
based at my home 'drome off season, I have a hangar so I am typically rigged for
months at a time off season.

A person knowledgeable about such things recently told me that white lithium
grease for the main high stress attach points (wing pins and lift pins) is not
good, it dries out and/or cannot stand up to or stay in place due to the high
stresses on those components, and the result is scoring.* This makes sense to
me, and I am thinking about changing to a better grease for long-term rigging.
He suggested molybdenum disulfide grease.

I would like to invite comments on this.* Are there other options for grease for
long-term rigged gliders?* What are the best sources (USA) for such greases?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Jim J6

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1

Old February 4th 20, 08:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

Hard to think there is any techincal requirement for special grease with glider main and lift pins. The enviroment is not that extreme. Just put some clean vaseline on pins and clean old dirty vaseline off every time you rig. This has been done succesfully for close to 100 years now. Some pin wear is pretty normal during 3000 hrs no matter what grease you use.
Old February 4th 20, 11:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]
external usenet poster

I have been using WD40 spray grease for a couple of seasons. Easy to apply
an non messy. They do two variants including a lithium based grease which
is good for high loads -25C to 130C

Any reason not to?

Jim

Old February 4th 20, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Le mardi 4 février 2020 09:08:00 UTC+1, krasw a écritÂ*:
Hard to think there is any techincal requirement for special grease with glider main and lift pins. The enviroment is not that extreme. Just put some clean vaseline on pins and clean old dirty vaseline off every time you rig. This has been done succesfully for close to 100 years now. Some pin wear is pretty normal during 3000 hrs no matter what grease you use.

Absolutely. I have been using plain automotive grease for the last 20+ years on my gliders and can't imagine why I should give it any more thought.
Old February 4th 20, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 12:08:00 AM UTC-8, krasw wrote:

Super Lube- has the same consistency and appearance as Vaseline just not as messy and goes on thin.