Future of aviation, or flash in the pan??

Old February 4th 20, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Future of aviation, or flash in the pan??

On 2/1/20 10:12 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 11:59:46 AM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
kinsell wrote on 2/1/2020 8:43 AM:
On 2/1/20 9:25 AM,
system, so they have to redesign the system almost from scratch to fit
everything into the fuselage. Watch this space...

--
MartinÂ*Â*Â* | martin at
GregorieÂ* | gregorie dot org

I have gone through the same thing, abandoning one controller for another and
then doing all the integration again.
You can't buy experience, but you DO pay for it.
UH

The folks on the Islander conversion project say they're doing everything with
off-the-shelf components.Â* Can't you just run down to Grainger and pick up
something suitable?Â* Heck there may still be one in an attic in Connecticut you
could use.

Adding self-launching to a single-seat sailplane (especially the small, light
Libelle!) that was not designed for it is going to be a significant project,
whether you are using electric, jet, or ICE. Changing propulsion systems is likely
easier, which is the case in the Islander.

They are all significant projects because of the lack of developed, compatible, proven, and documented components.
A few years from now that will be a much smaller issue.
UH

Yep. Salvation is always just a couple years away. Now we have a
battery-powered 737 killer on the horizon. Undoubtedly using
off-the-shelf components.

http://sustainableskies.org/wright-e...als-big-plans/

Maybe they should get the puddle-jumpers working first before biting off
projects like this.

Old February 4th 20, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I saw a picture the other day of an electric super charger connected to
a diesel generator.Â* It was probably a gag, but who knows?Â* These
electronazis never seem to say just where the electricity comes from.

wrote:
[...]

email me)

They are all significant projects because of the lack of developed,
compatible, proven, and documented components.
A few years from now that will be a much smaller issue.
UH

Yep.Â* Salvation is always just a couple years away.Â* Now we have a
battery-powered 737 killer on the horizon.Â* Undoubtedly using
off-the-shelf components.

Â*Â* http://sustainableskies.org/wright-e...als-big-plans/

Maybe they should get the puddle-jumpers working first before biting
off projects like this.

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 4th 20, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Dan Marotta wrote on 2/4/2020 9:38 AM:
I saw a picture the other day of an electric super charger connected to a diesel
generator.* It was probably a gag, but who knows?* These electronazis never seem
to say just where the electricity comes from.

That picture might be from Australia, where the roads in the outback are long, the
small towns along them are very isolated, and their electricity comes from diesel
generators. The diesel powered charging stations are very efficient, and electric
cars using them use no more fuel than a comparable gas car or diesel car. Of
course, the initial 100-300 miles of the trip is from the car's battery (charged
from the grid), so the overall trip might use very little diesel.

Old February 4th 20, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

But where did the diesel fuel for the charging station come from and how
was it delivered?Â* My point for not being very supportive of electric
vehicles is the lack of acknowledgement of all the fossil fuels that
went into the mining, manufacturing, disposal, electrical generation,
etc., spent on these vehicles.Â* I think they're technologically terrific
but the complete story is never told.Â* Some day, just not today...

A friend sent me a link from Europe stating that charging station prices
would increase by 500% starting this past January 31.Â* Can anyone from
Europe chime in and say if that was real or fake?

Old February 4th 20, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

The diesel fuel is brought by the same trucks that deliver diesel fuel to the
town. My understanding is a town uses a lot more diesel than the charging station.

The "complete story" is told in a number of places, but remember, gasoline powered
cars must also be built. Disposal is similar, except the batteries are very
valuable and are definitely recycled. The emissions from electricity to charge
them is well-quantified, and obviously varies considerably across the country;
generally, even using electricity from the worst coal power plants gives them
emissions no worse than a comparable gasoline car. In some areas, like the Pacific
NW where I live, electric cars produce almost zero emissions, since most of the
electricity is from hydro, nuclear, wind, and solar.

Dan Marotta wrote on 2/4/2020 10:20 AM:
But where did the diesel fuel for the charging station come from and how was it
delivered?* My point for not being very supportive of electric vehicles is the
lack of acknowledgement of all the fossil fuels that went into the mining,
manufacturing, disposal, electrical generation, etc., spent on these vehicles.* I
think they're technologically terrific but the complete story is never told.* Some
day, just not today...

A friend sent me a link from Europe stating that charging station prices would
increase by 500% starting this past January 31.* Can anyone from Europe chime in
and say if that was real or fake?

On 2/4/2020 11:01 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Dan Marotta wrote on 2/4/2020 9:38 AM:
I saw a picture the other day of an electric super charger connected to a
diesel generator.* It was probably a gag, but who knows?* These electronazis