Soaring already DOA for the season???

Old March 28th 20, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default Soaring already DOA for the season???

How to tell if we're beating Covid-19.

Great explanation of how to understand the numbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XLXg4fYsc

5Z
Old March 28th 20, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Here in Arizona, golf courses and gun stores are listed under "essential services" and are currently open, so it's hard to see how a gliding club could be a much worse risk. TUSC is officially closed, but open for flying to members taking suitable distancing precautions. One commercial glider operation is still open for launches but has suspended training. Few restrictions on those capable of self-launching.

However, coronavirus infections are currently expanding exponentially in Arizona at a rate faster than the national average (a factor of ten increase each week) and it's likely we may see further restrictions soon.

Mike
Old March 28th 20, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 4:41:31 PM UTC, Mike the Strike wrote:
Here in Arizona, golf courses and gun stores are listed under "essential services" and are currently open, so it's hard to see how a gliding club could be a much worse risk. TUSC is officially closed, but open for flying to members taking suitable distancing precautions. One commercial glider operation is still open for launches but has suspended training. Few restrictions on those capable of self-launching.

However, coronavirus infections are currently expanding exponentially in Arizona at a rate faster than the national average (a factor of ten increase each week) and it's likely we may see further restrictions soon.

Mike

Gun stores?!
Old March 28th 20, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thats an absolute neccessity! I’ve got all the ammo I need however.
Dan
Old March 28th 20, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 10:21:56 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 4:41:31 PM UTC, Mike the Strike wrote:
Here in Arizona, golf courses and gun stores are listed under "essential services" and are currently open, so it's hard to see how a gliding club could be a much worse risk. TUSC is officially closed, but open for flying to members taking suitable distancing precautions. One commercial glider operation is still open for launches but has suspended training. Few restrictions on those capable of self-launching.

However, coronavirus infections are currently expanding exponentially in Arizona at a rate faster than the national average (a factor of ten increase each week) and it's likely we may see further restrictions soon.

Mike

Gun stores?!

In San Diego County, liquor, pot and gun stores are all considered essential. Not by me, but by some set of state, county and local government. One would think we could bribe a better class of governance.
Old March 29th 20, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

I need my guns to protect my horde of toilet paper
:-)
ROY
Old March 29th 20, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

A more tempered, but plausible, opinion from the WSJ that’s worth a read:

Is the Coronavirus as Deadly as They Say?
Current estimates about the Covid-19 fatality rate may be too high by orders of magnitude. A universal quarantine may not be worth the costs it imposes on the economy, community and individual mental and physical health. We should undertake immediate steps to evaluate the empirical basis of the current lockdowns.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/is-...ay-11585088464
Old March 29th 20, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Interesting article about the 1918 flu pandemic.
"...The studies reached another important conclusion: That relaxing intervention measures too early could cause an otherwise stabilized city to relapse. St. Louis, for example, was so emboldened by its low death rate that the city lifted restrictions on public gatherings less than two months after the outbreak began. A rash of new cases soon followed. Of the cities that kept interventions in place, none experienced a second wave of high death rates."

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/h...c-coronavirus/

I also heard that the cities with the flattest curves and most strict measures were in a better position to recover financially. Probably due to more people able to work and more people to buy the products, etc...

5Z
Old March 29th 20, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Duster wrote on 3/28/2020 7:19 PM:
A more tempered, but plausible, opinion from the WSJ that’s worth a read:

Is the Coronavirus as Deadly as They Say?
Current estimates about the Covid-19 fatality rate may be too high by orders of magnitude. A universal quarantine may not be worth the costs it imposes on the economy, community and individual mental and physical health. We should undertake immediate steps to evaluate the empirical basis of the current lockdowns.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/is-...ay-11585088464

That article is not accessible without paying. Not a good policy for the
newspaper, I think. A few free articles a month could build their circulation.

Old March 29th 20, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 3/28/20 9:44 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Duster wrote on 3/28/2020 7:19 PM:
A more tempered, but plausible, opinion from the WSJ that’s worth a read:

Is the Coronavirus as Deadly as They Say?
Current estimates about the Covid-19 fatality rate may be too high by
orders of magnitude. A universal quarantine may not be worth the costs
it imposes on the economy, community and individual mental and
physical health. We should undertake immediate steps to evaluate the
empirical basis of the current lockdowns.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/is-...ay-11585088464

That article is not accessible without paying. Not a good policy for the
newspaper, I think. A few free articles a month could build their
circulation.

Worked for me without a subscription. Clear your cookies or try a
different computer.