should I buy a new parachute?

Old February 28th 16, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Anders[_2_]

Default should I buy a new parachute?

My Strong parachute is now 30 years old, and each time I get it
repacked I point this out to the packer, and ask if the packer has any
reservations about it. So far, none has. My original parachute manual
has no mention of any life limit, although I believe the Strong
company now recommends 15 years. I also understand that there is
no FAA limit on parachute life.

The last packer said 'its like new'.

Should I buy a new parachute?

Old February 28th 16, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Only if you want a new one. We don't toss thirty year old gliders.
Old February 28th 16, 10:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

If you want more inspection and reassurance, you can ship the parachute to Strong for an inspection and repacking. Call them on the phone to learn more about the services that they offer and to discuss your concerns. Cost is reasonable.
Old February 28th 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Unfortunately for me, Pioneer is out of business. When my Thin Pack was
40 years old it came back from inspection with the note, "Excellent
Contition". Now that it's 43 years old, my current rigger agreed to
have a look but declined to give it his seal. Since I want a 'chute for
my wife to wear in the Stemme (picking it up this week!!!), I guess I'll
need to find an alternative.

(Let the wife jokes begin now, but I really want to keep her!)

Dan

--
Dan, 5J

Old February 29th 16, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

A wife who is prepared to fly with you in a glider is a keeper. Wife who
actually WANTS to fly with you is invaluable.

Mine is in the former category - and is good for the occasional late
afternoon potter out over the river and back.

Cheers
Bruce

Old February 29th 16, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Mine just wags her tail and looks at me with eyes that say, " I want to do whatever you are doing".
Old February 29th 16, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just an opinion, but my impression is that a lot is up to the person who packs the chute. I believe the PIA recommends a max life of 20 years, a recommendation that many if not most riggers honor. Various reports seem to support the notion that condition is unrelated to life, per se, but that sun damage, for one, can increase over time and is a big threat.

I had an older chute that one rigger pull tested and pH tested (mandated by the manufacturer because of a small number of "acid mesh" chutes years earlier that didn't effect mine). He pronounced it in excellent condition and happily repacked it. But that was the last time I could find someone to do so. I finally bought a newer chute that doesn't fit me as well as the old one did.

Apart from the actual safety issues, liability is probably the biggest reason to buy a new(er) chute: in our litigious society, it's just tough to find someone competent who is willing to pack an older chute. So if your expert knows what he or she is doing, I'd probably be guided by his/her counsel (and availability).

Chip Bearden
Old April 13th 16, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oscar-Hotel-Mike

The comment about Strong and 15 years isn't correct as I spoke to them at the Oshkosh airshow and they said they will repack a chute indefinitely as long as they find it is fit to fly. However, our local packers and Alan Silver (great guy - http://silverparachutes.com/) says they will only repack up to 20 years.
Old April 13th 16, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Another good thing to do with your chute is every several years send it back to the manfactuer for a repack.

On one of the times I sent it back, they upgraded my pull tube and also the pins for no charge.

Kevin
92

Parachute FS [email protected] Soaring 2 December 19th 13 01:17 AM
Old parachute JJ Sinclair Soaring 3 September 19th 09 07:17 PM
FS: Parachute Ed Byars Soaring 0 March 28th 06 11:09 PM
F.S. Parachute Tom Stowers Products 1 October 1st 04 12:36 AM
Parachute anyone? [email protected] Home Built 18 January 21st 04 07:39 AM