HVLP Paint Sprayer Recommendations

Old March 14th 18, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LongJourney

Default HVLP Paint Sprayer Recommendations

Has anyone used an HVLP sprayer to refinish a wood and fabric aircraft? If so, did you get a better finish? Did it save a significant amount of paint? Was it worth using vs. a regular paint spray gun?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old March 14th 18, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 11:53:31 PM UTC-4, LongJourney wrote:
Has anyone used an HVLP sprayer to refinish a wood and fabric aircraft? If so, did you get a better finish? Did it save a significant amount of paint? Was it worth using vs. a regular paint spray gun?

Thanks,

Jeff

I have been using a turbine HVLVP system for almost 10 years to spray dope.
It saves about 20% in material and reduces over spray that land in the shop and out the window by a lot. The system I use is from TIP. Pattern is big which helps speed things up. Warm air speeds drying and that requires retarder in last coats sometimes.
This does not work as well for me with AU due to quicker drying reducing flow out. Possibly hot weather reducer would help. For that I use HVLP gun fed from compressor.
FWIW
UH
Old March 14th 18, 02:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

The last few fabric covered gliders i've been involved with have been done with Stewart Systems covering process. They strongly recommend the DeVilbiss Finish Line IV HVLP gun. My previous experience was on cheap HVLP guns from NAPA auto parts or Harbor Freight. I recommend the DeVilbiss Finish Line IV.
Old March 14th 18, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 10:53:47 AM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
The last few fabric covered gliders i've been involved with have been done with Stewart Systems covering process. They strongly recommend the DeVilbiss Finish Line IV HVLP gun. My previous experience was on cheap HVLP guns from NAPA auto parts or Harbor Freight. I recommend the DeVilbiss Finish Line IV.

I use the same Finish Line gun when spraying with compressor supplied air.
The turbine system can be beneficial but won't pay unless you will be doing a lot of painting. Ours took about 4 years to pay for itself.
UH
Old March 15th 18, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LongJourney

On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 9:53:47 AM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
The last few fabric covered gliders i've been involved with have been done with Stewart Systems covering process. They strongly recommend the DeVilbiss Finish Line IV HVLP gun. My previous experience was on cheap HVLP guns from NAPA auto parts or Harbor Freight. I recommend the DeVilbiss Finish Line IV.

Thanks, Tony. It looks like the DeVilbiss is standalone? I see good reviews of it, but I'm kinda looking at some of the $200 range HVLP guns that come with a compressor and a long length of hose. Our big standard air compressor always has a bunch of water in it, and even decent filters only do so much.

I know that the HVLP compressors heat the air more than desired, but I've read that a decent length of hose will help cool it. I'm using Poly-Fiber, and plan on adding reducer to help counter the heat, as well. I have read that it's best to stay away from the Harbor Freight HVLP tools, as they don't deliver an accurate pattern and fail after a short life.

Again, thanks for the help!

Jeff

Old March 15th 18, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LongJourney

On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 7:46:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply. What is TIP?

Jeff
Old March 15th 18, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 12:07:29 AM UTC-4, LongJourney wrote:
[...]

Look up TP Tools for HVLP turbine system we have. Likely well outside your budget range.
If you are doing the Polyfiber system the gun isn't all that important. That stuff sprays pretty easily.
We have about 80 feet of copper pipe for a cooling manifold off our compressor, followed by a 6 foot drip leg to separate water, then a filter. Gets out water well enough to spray polyester which is the most sensitive to moisture.
UH
Old March 15th 18, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jeff, here are a few tid-bits I have picked up over the years, small compressors that are working hard are going to give you water drops spitting out at the gun. We have had success using a large desiccant dryer in line and a mini desiccant dryer at the gun, but we're using a large compressor with 50 gallon tank. Keep an eye on the balls.........when your blue balls turn red, stop emediatly and let things cool off.......yes, we're still talking about painting! Never spray dope when it's raining......or you will trap "blush" on the surface and it will never go away. I use a cheap HVLP gun from Home Depot and throw it away after a few jobs. If the gun starts spitting, turn the air pressure down..........these guns want no more than 40 psi. Feel free to email me with any issues, may be able to sort things out.
Have fun,
JJ
Old March 15th 18, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 9:06:10 PM UTC-7, LongJourney wrote:
[...]

A refrigerated air dryer can fix almost all moisture problems. You can find small ones on ebay frequently for not a lot. I have a 5 hp compressor running pretty much all day feeding the CNC machines, tried all kinds of filters without much success, after installation of the refrigerated dryer everything downstream of that is bone dry.
Old March 16th 18, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LongJourney

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 9:50:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Thanks, John. First time I've heard that blue balls is a good thing! ;-)

When you say "dope" are you speaking in generalities? I'm using the Poly-Fiber system, and so are the other folks at TSA who are working on recovering/refurbishing gliders. I may experiment with the Stewart System in the future, as I have an ultralight project ongoing, as well.

Also, the compressor we have in our shop/paint booth is a large volume one (stands vertically about 6 feet tall--is that 50 gallons?) While the line has two filters, there are still moisture issues, based on the finish that the other person who is refurbishing an old glider is getting. When I go to the shop, I regularly open the urge valve at the bottom and let the water spray out.

These issues really have me leaning toward buying an HVLP system. You mentioned that you buy a cheap one and toss it after a few uses, which is kinda the Harbor Freight approach, but I have read that the cheap guns do not have a consistent pattern. Apparently, your experience is different? I'm aware that you've been doing this kind of work for a very long time (you're a legend! I once owned a Libelle you repaired long before I owned it), so I'm not questioning your judgement or skill. I'm willing to spend up to about $500 on a system if it will do a better job for me. In the overall scheme of things, that's pretty cheap. All-in-all, I want to end up with a good looking, durable, long lasting finish, and I'll pay the extra $$ necessary. I like to save money where I can, but often, you get what you pay for.

Sorry, I guess I rambled a bit, but thanks for the info.

Jeff

Axis Products Citation HVLP Filter Change Andy[_7_] Restoration 0 May 29th 08 06:07 PM
Recommendations for paint shops & avionics shops near NW Ohio [email protected] Owning 0 May 20th 06 12:23 PM
corrosion x sprayer paul Home Built 0 July 31st 05 07:52 PM
paint shop recommendations wanted (SE) Stephen N Mills Owning 0 January 29th 04 03:44 PM
Cleaning the sprayer Michael Horowitz Home Built 2 August 26th 03 03:12 AM