shipping a glider

Old December 23rd 18, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis[_3_]

Default shipping a glider

Happy Holidays. I would appreciate any information and advice about shipping a glider to and from Omarama and the West Coast. Thanks.--Dennis
Old December 23rd 18, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glidingstuff[_2_]

Hi Dennis

I can help with shipping etc from the New Zealand end if needed. Reply privately if you like.

Cheers

Paul
Old December 26th 18, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 9:45:38 PM UTC-7, Dennis wrote:
Happy Holidays. I would appreciate any information and advice about shipping a glider to and from Omarama and the West Coast. Thanks.--

You might talk with Wallenius-Wilhemsen about ro-ro shipping. May be wharfage fees for loading/unloading a trailer front the boat. They do a lot of international vehicle shipping. Containers are another topic.

https://www.2wglobal.com/global-network/trade-maps/
https://www.2wglobal.com/globalasset...s/worldmap.png

Also consider insurance. Basic carrier insurance is inadequate IMVHO/ Talk with Costello.

Frank Whiteley

Old January 24th 19, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S. Dimentstein

Hello , what do you know about shipping a glider and trailer in container as opposed to a roll on/ roll off type ship? Glidrr and trailer to be shippied from Bremenhaven to Houston.
Somehow HPH insists on shipping in a container. So far everybody I talked to says they got the trailer shipped on a roll on/ roll off ship.
Ideas before I approach HPH?

Old January 24th 19, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

https://www.2wglobal.com/?gclid=Cj0K...EaAuzMEALw_wcB

WW has a regular route from Bremerhaven to Galveston and routinely ships gliders in trailers on their RoRos
Old January 24th 19, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 7:17:48 PM UTC-7, S. Dimentstein wrote:
Hello , what do you know about shipping a glider and trailer in container as opposed to a roll on/ roll off type ship? Glidrr and trailer to be shippied from Bremenhaven to Houston.
Somehow HPH insists on shipping in a container. So far everybody I talked to says they got the trailer shipped on a roll on/ roll off ship.
Ideas before I approach HPH?

Depends on final destination. You are listed as a member of two East Coast chapters, but have a Colorado address. Denver is a port of entry. I was got a container estimate from Italy to Denver and it was rather cheaper than shipping to Houston then making the run and return to Houston to fetch it.. Surprised me. We didn't close the deal because the seller (while holding our deposit) sold to a club in another country. Lost $256 on converting dollars to Euros than back to dollars. Some freight forwarders do not do business with individuals, only businesses, which is another issue. Glider clubs are businesses fortunately.

Frank Whiteley
Colorado
Old January 24th 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 8:17:48 PM UTC-6, S. Dimentstein wrote:
Hello , what do you know about shipping a glider and trailer in container as opposed to a roll on/ roll off type ship? Glidrr and trailer to be shippied from Bremenhaven to Houston.
Somehow HPH insists on shipping in a container. So far everybody I talked to says they got the trailer shipped on a roll on/ roll off ship.
Ideas before I approach HPH?

Shmuel, we are awaiting delivery of a new ASK21 that will be shipped from Schleicher in a 40' container. The container will be transferred to a truck at the Eastern seaboard and delivered to Chicago. The cost is really high, contact me direct for details.
Herb
Old January 24th 19, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 11:06:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 8:17:48 PM UTC-6, S. Dimentstein wrote:
Hello , what do you know about shipping a glider and trailer in container as opposed to a roll on/ roll off type ship? Glidrr and trailer to be shippied from Bremenhaven to Houston.
Somehow HPH insists on shipping in a container. So far everybody I talked to says they got the trailer shipped on a roll on/ roll off ship.
Ideas before I approach HPH?

Shmuel, we are awaiting delivery of a new ASK21 that will be shipped from Schleicher in a 40' container. The container will be transferred to a truck at the Eastern seaboard and delivered to Chicago. The cost is really high, contact me direct for details.
Herb

Hi Herb,

I don't claim to be a shipping expert but that differs from my own experience! In a previous life (in the late '90), we shipped fully loaded 40ft containers from Bremerhaven to the Port of Montreal, from there by rail to Cleveland and then by truck to our warehouse. That was still far cheaper than shipping to the eastern seaboard (NYC or Baltimore) because we saved the port fees levied by US ports at the time and had shorter road hauls.
A few years ago, I helped to import a DG500 also through Bremerhaven to Charleston, SC. The trailer went into a 40ft container and IIRC, the cost for that service was under $2k. Mind you, this is a highly competitive shipping route mostly driven by the German automobile manufacturers in SC, so other routes may vary.

Uli
'AS'
Old January 25th 19, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 12:14:47 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
[...]

I e-mailed this to the OP earlier today, who appears to be shipping to Colorado. It lists estimated costs of getting a container glider to the Port of Denver, Colorado, and a couple of RO-RO options to Galveston/Houston and fetching from the port.

https://home.kuehne-nagel.com/ is the company we used to ship to Argentina, but again they don't work for individuals, or didn't at the time. I don't know if they can make a referral.

Here's a quote from 2011 from Germany to Denver by the same company and comparative costs of Ro-Ro to Houston using VW Logistics and retrieval from Houston based on estimated fuel and hotel at he time. I think fuel was $3.79/gal average in 2011.

Kuehne + Nagel, Bremhaven to Denver
Ocean Freight - USD 4120.00 (40 ft standard container)
Bunker surcharge - USD 366.00 (current – can change)
AMS fee - USD 35.00
Security fees - USD 25.00
ISF Filing - USD 30.00
(Insurance if requested .38% of commercial value (Costello much cheaper)
(Certificate if needed) - USD 50.00)

Brokerage if needed:
Customs clearance: $135.00 (we'll have to pay this anyway
Additional line items:$4.00 (3 free)
ISF Filing: $30.00
ISF Bond if applicable: $50.00
Single Entry Bond if applicable: $50.00 or $5.00 per thousand dollar value.
Continuous bond if they choose to apply: $500.00
Import Service Fee: $30.00
Doc turnover if we don't clear: $60.00

Volkswagen Logistics (formerly Volkswagen Transport) RO-RO
Emden / Houston
Seafreight USD 48 w/m (appx 3300.00 USD) based on dimensions below.
BAF 30%
THC Emden EUR 115,50 lumpsum
Non-Runner Add. EUR 41 lumpsum

Dimensions from the registration document.
10.75 meters long
1.96 meters wide
2.35 meters high
Gross weight 1000kg

Retrieval from Houston
est 2260 miles. $1130. (plus three hotel nights)

My only hesitation was customs clearance at Houston and cost of time if stranded there. (This was a Twin Astir with trailer. Trailer clearance can be a problem. As my club has a Grob trailer, abandoning a trailer and recovering the glider is much less troublesome close to home.)

SCL Rotterdam RO-RO
Zeebrugge to Galveston
E4795. Pickup from Germany, delivery from Galveston optional/additional.

Of course this was several years ago, so prices are likely higher, but fuel costs lower.

SZ has done this more recently I think, at least to the East Coast. He'd be the one to ask.

Frank Whiteley
Old January 25th 19, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 6:15:16 PM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

Hi Frank,

thanks for the detailed info! It seems that the stark difference in shipping rates are based on the shipping companies working with corporations with high volumes vs. individuals.

Uli
'AS'