SOARING IN NEW ZEALAND

Old March 27th 05, 03:49 PM

Default SOARING IN NEW ZEALAND

Will be in NZ in November for a couple of weeks, and would like to fly
there for a few days. Questions 1) Besides my logbook and US-issued
pilot certificate, what else do I need there to be able to rent a
sailplane; 2) WHERE ELSE besides Omarama can one find decent flying
conditions. This would enable me to prepare a scenic itinerary as well
as allow flying.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers, Charles

Old March 27th 05, 07:31 PM
goneill

What areas /cities will you be visiting to help plan your tour
what airport are you landing at helps.
Are you on a gliding tour or a tourist with a bit of gliding thrown in.
I live in the upper north Island and can advise in detail on those
parts of the country.
Bruce Hoult another regular on RAS lives in the lower half of
the North Island and can advise in detail in those areas.
I know a number of South Island pilots lurk on the NG and will
probably pitch in to give you the info you need.
First up goto HTTP://WWW.gliding.co.nz and get a feel for
the general areas and terrain.
The weather at that time of year is generally quite variable and coming up
to equinox so late november is usually quite windy.With all the ridges and
hills this helps more than hinders
If you are going to go cross country I will repeat an observation by
George Moffatt when he was here,
In New Zealand you have to "change gear" every 20-30 kms as with the
changing terrain and the sea influence all around the airmass
characteristics
change so your techniques have to change or you landout
As to flying here ,not a problem as the "license system "is similar to the
UK
in that you will need your logbook and license to show the senior
instructor
on the field ,you will do a checkride /area check and proceed from
there.
Apart from 3-4 bigger clubs with 7 day operations most are smaller 20-40
members so generally only fly weekends but with prior contact do midweek.
Get multiple contact phone numbers for each site and work through those
numbers in the day/'s before you arrive at each site
Majority of clubs winch launch so you need to get current on winching and
the emergency ropebreak procedures etc .
Note : here single stranded and multistranded steel, polypropolene rope are
all used so slight variences in launch technique are required.
Email me or others listed on the website and we will help your trip
planning.
gary

oups.com...

Old March 28th 05, 12:59 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article .com,
wrote:

Will be in NZ in November for a couple of weeks, and would like to fly
there for a few days. Questions 1) Besides my logbook and US-issued
pilot certificate, what else do I need there to be able to rent a
sailplane;

I think that is enough. See:

http://www.gliding.co.nz/overseas.htm

Philip mentioned medical requirements. In NZ this is simply getting
your GP to sign a form saying that they "know of no reason that you
shouldn't fly a glider" which isn't very onerous. The form helps the GP
by giving a short list of possible reasons (e.g. epilipsy, severe
diabetes...) But as far as I know if you have the current right to fly
where you come from then that's all that is needed.

2) WHERE ELSE besides Omarama can one find decent flying
conditions. This would enable me to prepare a scenic itinerary as well
as allow flying.

Pretty much everywhere :-) The bigger problem is finding someone with a
glider and the means to launch it. Don't forget that flying at
"Omarama" means "about half of the South Island".

There is a list of clubs at: http://www.gliding.co.nz/Clubs/Clubs.htm

I fly at Wellington. Other large and active sites I've visited are
Omarama, Christchurch and Matamata. I've flown a few times at Whangarei
which has a small but very active club and wonderful scenery and
conditions.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-