Perlan project - high wave flights

Old October 18th 05, 08:26 PM
Bill Daniels

Default Perlan project - high wave flights

I wonder if these guys have fireproof flying suits.

See: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1018075220.htm

Quote from article:

"Previous observations near the Andes Mountains in Peru had found that the
atmosphere directly above some peaks was approximately 100 Kelvin [100
degrees Celsius; 200 degrees Fahrenheit] hotter than in nearby regions and
that the difference occasionally reached as much as 400 Kelvin [400 degrees
Celsius; 700 degrees Fahrenheit]. "

Bill Daniels

Old October 20th 05, 12:45 AM
Francisco De Almeida

Quite interesting, but I do not think the article leads to such =
conclusion. Think about it: several types of aircraft have been flying =
very high above mountain peaks in the last half century without bursting =
into flames.

If you go still higher, temperatures rise naturally up to about 800 =
Kelvin in the Thermosphere. You run no risk of burning, though: the air =
density by then is so low that any heat gained from collision with air =
molecules cannot even offset the heat lost to outer space through =
radiation. The (accoustically generated) temperature spikes theorised in =
the article are therefore not so exceptional when viewed in context.

I suppose the Perlan people need to be well dressed, indeed, but not =
against the heat.

F.A.

Old October 20th 05, 01:15 AM
Bill Daniels

"Francisco De Almeida" wrote in message
Quite interesting, but I do not think the article leads to such =
conclusion. Think about it: several types of aircraft have been flying =
very high above mountain peaks in the last half century without bursting =
into flames.

If you go still higher, temperatures rise naturally up to about 800 =
Kelvin in the Thermosphere. You run no risk of burning, though: the air =
density by then is so low that any heat gained from collision with air =
molecules cannot even offset the heat lost to outer space through =
radiation. The (accoustically generated) temperature spikes theorised in =
the article are therefore not so exceptional when viewed in context.

I suppose the Perlan people need to be well dressed, indeed, but not =
against the heat.

F.A.

You're right, of course. My posting was just a bit tongue in cheek. The
first scan of the abstract didn't make clear that the temperature spikes
were in the thermosphere (150 Km or so above the stratosphere) but a more
careful reading of the body did.

What IS interesting is that a phenomenon with roots in orographic turbulence
reaches this far above the earth's surface.

Oh what we don't know!

Bill Daniels