ASW 19 tail wheel

Old September 5th 16, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW 19 tail wheel

I have now destroyed two of those silly rubber tail skid/wheel things on my ASW-19. It's a black rubber skid shaped device that has a roller blade wheel molded into it. It looks cool. But if you push it sideways too many times the wheel gets ripped out of the skid. Or if you fly out of a grass field frequently, eventually a rut or a bump will rip the wheel out of the skid. In the long term, I'll probably install larger tail wheel mod. But I, also thinking sticking a skid (without a wheel) on there. Has anybody tried this? And if so, where did you get the skid?

Old September 5th 16, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

I'd suggest just go for the tailwheel mod. Moving the glider around is so much easier, especially pushing it backwards in grass or dirt.
Jim
Old September 5th 16, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Have you tried this cheaper alternative:

http://fbw-flugzeugbau.de/parts-for-...ml?language=en
Old September 5th 16, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Have you you tried this cheaper alternative:

http://fbw-flugzeugbau.de/parts-for-...ml?language=en
Old September 5th 16, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 10:47:55 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
I'd suggest just go for the tailwheel mod. Moving the glider around is so much easier, especially pushing it backwards in grass or dirt.
Jim

I agree. We have put several on and everyone that has one agrees it is a big improvement, both for ground handling and flying.
UH
Old September 5th 16, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 7:47:55 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
I'd suggest just go for the tailwheel mod. Moving the glider around is so much easier, especially pushing it backwards in grass or dirt.
Jim

Agree, I had a 19 and Rex did the tailwheel mod and it was just great. Orig wheel/steel wheel sounded aweful landing on runways and if the runway was not smoother, ..cringe. The pneumatic tire so much softer, smoother and quiet.
Old September 5th 16, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The wheel you describe is designed to separate from the rubber mount, or
the entire rubber mount to rip off, to save you breaking the tail boom.
The rubber mount is held on with contact cement. And why in the world
would you push the tail sideways anyway? If you want to maneuver your
ship on the ground as you described, put the tail dolly on. A steel
skid will be great for grass or dirt, but will provide no directional
stability on pavement.

My old LS-6a had a hard plastic wheel mounted as you describe and it was
awful both from a noise and traction standpoint. I changed it to a
roller blade and was delighted.

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 5th 16, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Actually not so much pushing sideways as towing it on the ground in any direction other than perfectly straight. After destroying skid #1, I don't deviate from straight by even one degree without the dolly. But that doesn't help much when you get a tow out of a rough field. I know the skid is supposed to come off to protect the tail boom, but the design in these skid/wheel combos is particularly poor. If you look at it sideways the wheel gets ripped out, leaving you with a lovely soft rubber skid.

I do think the FBW skid/wheel mentioned here earlier is worth a try. At least if I wreck it I'll only feel half as bad.

Old September 5th 16, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

When rollerblades came out, their wheels were considered an improvement over the standard white plastic tailskid wheels. Much less fragile.
Darnell also make (or at least used to make) quality load-rated caster wheels that fit those skids.
Either the 210x65 or 200x50 tailwheel mod is a huge improvement over the rollerblade or Darnell wheels.
Nylon, alloy or brass wheels are available for CG adjustment.

Since the LS6 was brought up, there is already a tailwheel cup inside the fuselage of even the A model. It's glassed over if the 210x65 tailwheel option wasn't ordered from the factory.
Jim
Old September 5th 16, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Interesting about the built-in cup for a pneumatic wheel. I had no
idea! My '6 came with the white plastic wheel mounted in a steel cage
which was then bolted into the rubber skid/fairing thingie. The roller
blade wheel was of too large a diameter to fit into the cage so I
reduced it by mounting it on a mandrel and, using a file, cut it down to
size. I always wondered about its survivability since it was built for
skating speed, not 50 kts, but it didn't wear out in about 6 years of
flying the ship.

ASW tail wheel Dan Mockler Soaring 8 July 31st 12 05:26 PM
ASW tail wheel Dan Mockler Soaring 0 July 28th 12 09:53 PM
Blanik Tail Wheel Roy Bourgeois Soaring 2 August 21st 07 12:56 PM
Brass tail wheel Solo Soaring 9 July 6th 07 04:18 PM
FS: Blanik L-13 Tail Skid & Tail Wheel Assembly Tim Hanke Soaring 0 February 8th 05 02:34 PM