A Little Technology Humor (SPOT)

Old December 22nd 10, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default A Little Technology Humor (SPOT)

On Dec 22, 7:50 am, Grider wrote:
No, actually, it happens as I approach the speed of light.

While looking aft.

Ahh...so what's wrong with checking your 6-O'clock all the time? If I've
understood George Moffat correctly, someone *could* be catching up to you
regardless of how well you imagine you're doing!

This time of year, maybe even Rudolph and Santa...

Bob W.
Old December 22nd 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Dec 22, 10:52*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Dec 22, 7:50*am, Grider Pirate wrote:

No, actually, it happens as I approach the speed of light.

While looking aft.

Matt may be confused or just maybe he is showing off. A relativistic
glider pilot facing forward (and looking around a bit)will observe a
combination of red and blue shift.

Classical Doppler effect is of course inline to the direction of
relative motion. So blue shift going towards and redshift going away.
But relativistic Doppler will redshift objects even those with no line
of motion towards/away form you. The overall red shift/blue shift
shapes into a cone with things to the side of you red shifted as well.
There is a nice 2D animation of the relativistic Doppler cone athttp://en..wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_Doppler_effect.

BTW I hear the new ClearNav vario includes corrections for
relativistic Doppler effects (but no word yet if it will actually talk
to any PDA based soaring software).

Darryl

A couple of things come to mind.

Euler's equations

Our world has three spatial dimensions (up-down, left-right, fore-aft)
and one time dimension. In general, the Euler equations have a time-
dependent continuity equation for conservation of mass and three time-
dependent conservation of momentum equations. At the top of the
figure, we show a simplified, two-dimensional, steady form of the
Euler equations. There are two independent variables in the problem,
the x and y coordinates of some domain. There are four dependent
variables, the pressure p, density r, and two components of the
velocity vector; the u component is in the x direction, and the v
component is in the y direction. All of the dependent variables are
functions of both x and y. The differential equations are therefore
partial differential equations and not ordinary differential equations
that you study in a beginning calculus class.

The second more apt sailboat racing term

LTO (lightning tack to oblivion)

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old December 23rd 10, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

[...]

Darryl,

Sadly, I am just confused. It was the glider in front of me shifting
blue, not the sky. So he must have been pulling away from me, yes?
Old December 23rd 10, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Dec 22, 5:35*pm, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
[...]

Just another reason to fly with Sun Tigers. I got my own color shift
even when I fly slow thanks very much!

Andy
Old December 23rd 10, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Dec 22, 4:35*pm, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
[...]

Yes. But I've never observed this when flying. Those fast moving
gliders just tend to disappear. One second I'm in a thermal with Ray
Gimmey then... poof gone. I suspect he is using wormholes.

Darryl

Darryl
Old December 23rd 10, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Dec 22, 4:58*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
[...]

Darryl- Hide quoted text -

He is using worm holes your using LTOs

Richard
Old December 25th 10, 05:07 AM
shkdriver shkdriver is offline
Member

So, in addition to red and blue shifts,
In relativistic terms,
Time really does fly when I'm having fun! (to my perception)
I.E. the faster I fly, My flight time appears to take longer (to an observer) than it seems to me!

Merry Christmas!!
Scott W.

Spot deal, today only, buy service get a free Spot Tim Taylor Soaring 3 December 1st 08 10:30 PM
A little humor.... Canuck[_2_] Aviation Photos 3 October 12th 08 05:34 PM
Humor john smith Piloting 9 January 11th 06 07:40 PM
Humor john smith Piloting 4 October 20th 05 10:18 PM
[OT] Humor No Spam! Military Aviation 6 January 27th 04 09:44 PM