A Kid Flying a Duckhawk?

Old November 5th 13, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default A Kid Flying a Duckhawk?

No, we do not have a preference. What we do have is an organisation called
EASA. The people at EASA are probably the most ignorant people on the
planet, they come from all the member states of the EU and mostly from the
airline/manufacturer industries and their aim seems to be to regulate
anyone, except airliners, out of the sky.

I gather US experimental and racing is not valid outside the US, hence the problem for flying it in 15 meter in Poland.

How is the Diana 2 flying? It's some sort of "permit to fly" if I remember the IGC brouhaha over its status. Could a duckhawk be certified in Europe in the same way?

John Cochrane
Old November 5th 13, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

....But I think the Duckhawk eats ducks!

I understand your statements about EASA. We have the FAA, though we're
still fortunate to be able to build and fly whatever we can conceive of (for
now...).

"Don Johnstone" wrote in message
At 15:06 04 November 2013, Dan Marotta wrote:
Just curious; are there no experimental aircraft allowed in Europe or is

it

just your preference for certificated aircraft?

No, we do not have a preference. What we do have is an organisation called
EASA. The people at EASA are probably the most ignorant people on the
planet, they come from all the member states of the EU and mostly from the
airline/manufacturer industries and their aim seems to be to regulate
anyone, except airliners, out of the sky.

The only other thing against the Duckhawk is the name. Perhaps Hobby,
Peregrine or Osprey might have had a better ring to it.

If it swims like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck
chances
are it is a duck.

Old November 5th 13, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Daniel's first flight in the Duckhawk was great.
Jim
Old November 8th 13, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 12:14:22 PM UTC-8, JS wrote:
Daniel's first flight in the Duckhawk was great.

Jim

Agreed.

When I first read the report I admit that I felt he didn't have a basis for making the comparisons, but everyone with time in glass and Schweizers should understand the enthusiasm of someone flying a high quality, high performance ship for the first time. I felt the same about my ASW-20 after the first flight.

I visited the Windward Performance shop last month. The Duckhawk wing is a thing of beauty. Wade, one of their engineers, is a great ambassador for Windward and for soaring. Young, energetic and positive about soaring. Kind of like Daniel seems.

The technology on the Duckhawk is unfamiliar to most of us in gliders, but automatic flaps are probably a good thing. I know plenty of people that will admit to forgetting to switch settings and the continuously variable setting allows for some pretty serious optimization compare to my 20 knot brackets.

I would personally love to fly it. From the cockpit I wouldn't be able to see the tail anyway and my shallow preference for t-tails might be overcome by the qualities of the glider.

Morgan

Old November 8th 13, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

In article ,
Morgan wrote:

The technology on the Duckhawk is unfamiliar to most of us in gliders, but
automatic flaps are probably a good thing. I know plenty of people that will
admit to forgetting to switch settings and the continuously variable setting
allows for some pretty serious optimization compare to my 20 knot brackets.

Morgan

You mean you don't ignore the detents and just move your flaps
continually through their range based on your speed and g load? That's
what I do in my Libelle. That gives me infinite ways to have the flaps
set wrong.

Old November 8th 13, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

In article ,
Morgan wrote:

The technology on the Duckhawk is unfamiliar to most of us in gliders, but
automatic flaps are probably a good thing. I know plenty of people that will
admit to forgetting to switch settings and the continuously variable setting
allows for some pretty serious optimization compare to my 20 knot brackets.

Morgan

I would dearly love to fly it as well.

A question: How does the automatic flap system in the Duckhawk know how
to position the flaps? Not just by airspeed I'd guess. Does the D'hawk
have an angle of attack sensing system? G-load?

Old November 8th 13, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The computer currently senses airspeed and g-loading. According to Bill Thar, they are also thinking about developing an angle of attack sensor system for the flaps.

Regards,
Daniel Sazhin
Old November 9th 13, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 11/4/2013 11:02 AM, Evan Ludeman wrote:
Greg Cole, 2012 Barnaby lecture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln9fuR8uwIc

Discussion of DH starts about 17 minutes in.

Evan Ludeman / T8

Thanks for posting this link!!!

Regardless of one's view on whether or not they'd ever consider purchasing a
Duckhawk, this presentation is a superb introduction - should one be needed -
to Greg Cole and his immense contributions to soaring. Those who'd focus
exclusively on "FAI Classes" and "sales numbers" would be missing the larger
view of Greg being someone who - quietly, humbly and without self-promotion -
follows his own internal visions of what may be possible in the soaring world,
rather than visions of "incrementally improving conventional wisdom." U.S.
soaring benefits from both visions.

Bob W.
Old November 11th 13, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Monday, November 4, 2013 1:02:52 PM UTC-5, Evan Ludeman wrote:

Greg Cole, 2012 Barnaby lecture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln9fuR8uwIc

Discussion of DH starts about 17 minutes in.

I'll second that. This is a fascinating talk by a very smart and competent guy.
Anyone interested in sailplanes should take a look.

Duckhawk [email protected] Soaring 7 September 19th 13 09:02 PM
Duckhawk wins Richard Walters Soaring 24 May 30th 12 04:26 PM
Duckhawk: a real chance of winning US 15m nationals.... Sean Fidler (F2) Soaring 13 May 23rd 12 02:23 AM
Windward Duckhawk RossFW Soaring 1 August 2nd 10 02:33 PM
Duxford Flying Legends 2008 - B-17 Flying Fortresses - 26/26 - dx08fl_b17_pinklady_0713_2165.jpg (1/1) - 163 kb D. St-Sanvain Aviation Photos 0 July 17th 08 07:55 PM