Shop Layout Questions

Old July 1st 04, 04:52 PM
Richard Lamb

pacplyer wrote:

(snipped - because Jim will bite my ass if I don't!)

IMHO use iron water pipe. And don't screw around with
those cheap oil-less air compressors. They just never recover,
running up your power bill and making your neighbors deaf.

NOW he tells me...
Old July 1st 04, 04:53 PM
Richard Lamb

GreenPilot wrote:

All great pointers. I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Now...to the shop!

One more - something I wish I had - a sink.
Old July 1st 04, 06:00 PM
John Kunkel

"GreenPilot" wrote in message
om...
I have a 20'x20' shop that I am remodeling and am seeking suggestions
for an optimum layout for building. Currently it is wired basically,
and I know I (read electrician) will adding a plurality of shop lights
and higher voltage outlets. Other than that, what else should I
consider?

Should I just build a big workbench down one side, put tools on
another, put a compressor outside, and leave the floor space for
building?

I'm of the opinion than any vacant horizontal surface will eventually become
"storage". I prefer a smaller workbench surface with the additional footage
devoted to verticle storage.

Old July 1st 04, 06:31 PM
Rich S.

"John Kunkel" wrote in message

I'm of the opinion than any vacant horizontal surface will eventually

become
"storage". I prefer a smaller workbench surface with the additional

footage
devoted to verticle storage.

You've got that 100% right!

Rich "Who stole my hammer? S.

Old July 1st 04, 08:19 PM
Frank Stutzman

I'm in the process of setting up my shop as well. One of the things I'm
going to do is to set up a small area with desk, book shelving and good
(reading) lighting. This is to be the place where all referance materials
and documentaion lives. It might have a computer with internet access
there so that I can access a cdrom and the internet without going back to
the house.

I just know if I keep the paper stuff in the house, I'm going to drag some
of it to the shop. Then I'll never be able to find a particular referance
when I need it.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old July 1st 04, 09:02 PM
Jim Carriere

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message
I'm in the process of setting up my shop as well. One of the things I'm
going to do is to set up a small area with desk, book shelving and good
(reading) lighting. This is to be the place where all referance materials
and documentaion lives. It might have a computer with internet access
there so that I can access a cdrom and the internet without going back to
the house.

If you're going to put a modern personal computer in a workshop, here is an
idea:

Something I do with my PC is to put an air filter where the cooling air gets
sucked in. I have a couple fans pushing air out the back of the case and
one sucking it in the front. Between that intake fan and the plastic case
is a metal grate, and I use a dryer sheet (as in fabric softener) there as
filter media. Of course this involves taking the sides and front off the
case, pretty basic stuff compared to building an airplane.

Changing this out a couple times a year or so reveals a LOT of crud on the
filter, but inside the case, the motherboard and cards are always fairly
clean.

I'm sure you could buy something that works just as well, but my system is
lightweight, cheap, and experimental/amateur built.

My computer also survived six months in running about 24-7, using said
homemade filter, on the floor of a dirty office on a warship, a similarly
hostile environment to a workshop. Come to think of it, I never did find
the "B" key on my old keyboard after that cruise... (?!)

Old July 1st 04, 10:11 PM
B2431

From: "Don Lewis n FTW"
Date: 7/1/2004 9:48 AM Central Daylight Time
Should I just build a big workbench down one side, put tools on
another, put a compressor outside, and leave the floor space for
building?

TIA.

You might want to look at this for your construction table/tables...
http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/w...l/worktabl.htm

Don n FTW

My bench has masonite screwed (not glued) to the plywood top. This way it's
easy to resurface when it gets chewed up. I used to have a reloading press
bolted to the top. I removed it and the masonite glued some dowels into the
bolt holes and put down a new sheet of masonite. I used the old masonite for
gussets when making jigs.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old July 1st 04, 11:21 PM
nauga

Richard Lamb wrote:

pacplyer wrote:

(snipped - because Jim will bite my ass if I don't!)

IMHO use iron water pipe. And don't screw around with
those cheap oil-less air compressors. They just never recover,
running up your power bill and making your neighbors deaf.

NOW he tells me...

WHAT?

Dave 'oil fired' Hyde

Old July 2nd 04, 12:59 AM