Shop Layout Questions

Old July 2nd 04, 01:01 AM
Blueskies

I call them horizontal clutter magnets

--
Dan D.
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ddevillers/start.html

..
"John Kunkel" wrote in message news:erXEc.8052$XM6.6112@attbi_s53...

"GreenPilot" wrote in message
om...
I have a 20'x20' shop that I am remodeling and am seeking suggestions
for an optimum layout for building. Currently it is wired basically,
and I know I (read electrician) will adding a plurality of shop lights
and higher voltage outlets. Other than that, what else should I
consider?

Should I just build a big workbench down one side, put tools on
another, put a compressor outside, and leave the floor space for
building?

I'm of the opinion than any vacant horizontal surface will eventually become
"storage". I prefer a smaller workbench surface with the additional footage
devoted to verticle storage.

Old July 2nd 04, 01:05 AM
B2431

From: "Blueskies"
Date: 7/1/2004 6:59 PM Central Daylight Time
and a fire extinguisher...

--
Dan D.
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ddevillers/start.html

Great for throwing at the "friend" who asks "do ya really expect that thing to
fly?"

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old July 2nd 04, 01:25 AM
Ebby

I built three of the EAA 1000 tables. I made them just a bit wider for my
Hatz airframe. They are very functional and moving them into different
configurations works great for doing tailfeather, gear, torque tube etc..
The lower shelf is a must as it stabilizes the table and provides great
storage. If I recall they worked out to about $60 apiece and I had a lot of
3/4" plywood left over for other things. That was 2 years ago.

--
John "Ebby" Ebensperger
Hatz Classic s/n 37

Old July 2nd 04, 01:46 AM
Blueskies

From: "Blueskies"
Date: 7/1/2004 6:59 PM Central Daylight Time
and a fire extinguisher...

--
Dan D.
http://www.ameritech.net/users/ddevillers/start.html

Great for throwing at the "friend" who asks "do ya really expect that thing to
fly?"

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

or for using as a power source - look out Spaceship One!?!?

Old July 2nd 04, 02:44 AM
Daniel

Shelly wrote ...

GreenPilot wrote:
I have a 20'x20' shop

I'm sure you realize that isn't much room
when it comes time to assemble the project -
wings and empennage to fuselage? What
are you going to build?

Folks build airplanes in attics, dining rooms and basements. Either
foldable/removable wings or final assembly at the plane's new home
will do the trick.

Daniel
Old July 2nd 04, 05:07 PM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 01:17:00 GMT, "Cy Galley"
wrote:

I would protect yourself with ground fault interrupters. One GCF can
protect several outlets.

I think the NEC now requires them. Making the first outlet a GFI can
eliminate the need for a GFI circuit breaker back at the panel and is
one whale of a lot cheaper. I used surface mount thin wall conduit
with a GFI outlet on each circuit. I have 6 circuits just for 110 VAC
outlets and three for 220.

The circuits for the outlets are arranged so if a breaker pops you can
pull the plug and still have power in the outlet beside it.

I saw a guy trip one with his fingers. Said he didn't feel it, but I
think I'll pass on that test myself. :-))

If you have any fuel burning heaters, get a CO detector.

I use one powered off the AC instead of straight batter power.
Only one in the shop but three in the house.

I decided to keep the compressor in the shop where it's warm with a
blow down line running outside. I need to plant some barberry bushes
around the outlet so no one will walk up in front of it although it is
pretty well protected...but junk.

Eventually I plan on building a sound proofed enclosure around the
compressor. Galvanized pipe for air lines around the inside of the
shop instead of having to pull a hose around.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old July 3rd 04, 05:46 AM
Morgans

"Roger Halstead" wrote

Eventually I plan on building a sound proofed enclosure around the
compressor. Galvanized pipe for air lines around the inside of the
shop instead of having to pull a hose around.

Roger Halstead Not galvanized pipe. It is illegal to use as gas pipe,

cause the plate can flake off, and plug stuff up. It could be bad for your
power tools.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old July 3rd 04, 06:43 AM
Morgans

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 00:46:48 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

:
:"Roger Halstead" wrote
:
:
: Eventually I plan on building a sound proofed enclosure around the
: compressor. Galvanized pipe for air lines around the inside of the
: shop instead of having to pull a hose around.
:
: Roger Halstead Not galvanized pipe. It is illegal to use as gas

pipe,
:cause the plate can flake off, and plug stuff up. It could be bad for

your
ower tools.

So what's legal? Last year I spent a day running galvi parallel to
the PVC that was there before, because I was being told it could blow
out.

OK, legal may not be an issue, cause your air tools will not go boom, but
use some kind of filter to save them the flakes inside them.

Good move, replacing your PVC.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old July 3rd 04, 07:33 AM
John Ammeter

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:52:52 -0700, Richard Riley
wrote:

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 00:46:48 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

:
:"Roger Halstead" wrote
:
:
: Eventually I plan on building a sound proofed enclosure around the
: compressor. Galvanized pipe for air lines around the inside of the
: shop instead of having to pull a hose around.
:
: Roger Halstead Not galvanized pipe. It is illegal to use as gas pipe,
:cause the plate can flake off, and plug stuff up. It could be bad for your
ower tools.

So what's legal? Last year I spent a day running galvi parallel to
the PVC that was there before, because I was being told it could blow
out.

I've run copper pipe through my shop. We're building a new
home and shop and I plan to run 3/4" copper throughout the
shop. I might even run a line to the house since I'll have
a hobby room there, too.

John