Which DC Headphone is best choice?

Old June 20th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Which DC Headphone is best choice?

I'm going to update my 15 yr old SoftComm mono headphones and would
appreciate opinions and reasons on choice of replacement.

I don't fly many hours a year or particularly long distances (3hr max)
so I'm leaning towards the David Clark H10-60 or H10-13.4.

The only difference appears to be weight and choice of boom. Since my
old headset uses the wire type boom and works fine what's the
practical differences. Any other options appreciated.

David
Old June 20th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

john smith wrote:
The DC H10-40 (wire boom with M7 electret element) is still available.
They do not advertise it, however.
I prefer the wire boom to the flex boom.
The wire boom can be moved closer to ones mouth and will remain in
position better than the flex boom of the the -13.4.

My first (and primary) headset is a DC H10-80 which is no longer made. It has
the flex mike and although the headphone part of the headset is all I could ask
for, the flex mike isn't. Like you said, it has a bad habit of easing away from
your mouth.

I have since added a H10-40 clone from Marv Golden to my flightbag for friends
to use. I happened to try it out not too long ago and found its wire boom mike
worked much better than the mike on my much more expensive David Clark headset.
A very well spent $80.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old June 20th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Well, let me ask the obvious: Why DC? IMHO, they haven't kept up with
modern ergnomics (read comfort) nor is their ANR very good. Also, they
are comparatively expensive.

Oh, whatever you do, get ANR.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 20th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 22:25:45 +0200, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Well, let me ask the obvious: Why DC? IMHO, they haven't kept up with
modern ergnomics (read comfort) nor is their ANR very good. Also, they
are comparatively expensive.

Oh, whatever you do, get ANR.

That's starting to cross my mind. Many people say how good the DC's
are with repairs but since my last headset lasted 15 years maybe I
should get the same or simialr again?

The SoftComm C-10 Red Baron looks interesting but the colour is a bit
bright :-)

David
Old June 20th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:16:03 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

My first (and primary) headset is a DC H10-80 which is no longer made. It has
the flex mike and although the headphone part of the headset is all I could ask
for, the flex mike isn't. Like you said, it has a bad habit of easing away from
your mouth.

My set is 17 years old and doesn't have this problem. But I bet if
you contact DC they'll fix it for you.

As an aside, I converted mine to ANR about 10 years ago. They just
keep on chugging.
Old June 20th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

My first (and primary) headset is a DC H10-80 which is no longer made. It has
the flex mike and although the headphone part of the headset is all I could ask
for, the flex mike isn't. Like you said, it has a bad habit of easing away from
your mouth.

My set is 17 years old and doesn't have this problem. But I bet if
you contact DC they'll fix it for you.

As an aside, I converted mine to ANR about 10 years ago. They just
keep on chugging.

Interesting comments on the flex mike. I've only used one on a DC once
and thought it was more difficult to position and keep in place.

I don't think I can justify ANR for the low hours I fly. I can't say I
have a problem with a standard headset.

I'm still looking at options but I see some have an option for
cellphone which I presume will work with an audio checklist which
would be useful? The SoftComm C-80 BNE has this option but it appears
to be a flex boom. Looks slightly different to DC but is it any
better/worse?

David
Old June 20th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Well, let me ask the obvious: Why DC? IMHO, they haven't kept up with
modern ergnomics (read comfort) nor is their ANR very good. Also, they
are comparatively expensive.

But you can't beat the warranty. I've had students slam my cord in the
door twice, and it was replaced within a week.

Oh, whatever you do, get ANR.

I disagree. ANR is great if like it, but it's hardly necessary.