Spamalot

Old January 26th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Default Spamalot

This MI5 guy has been spamming multiple lists/groups - aircraft, ham
radio, electronics, photography, and likely many others that I don't
subscribe to...
Complaints to the list administraotrs get no response...

Anyone know anyone who can get some action to block this guy?

denny

Old January 26th 07, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony Cox

On Jan 26, 5:28 am, "Denny" wrote:
This MI5 guy has been spamming multiple lists/groups - aircraft, ham
radio, electronics, photography, and likely many others that I don't
subscribe to...
Complaints to the list administraotrs get no response...

Anyone know anyone who can get some action to block this guy?

If MI5 can't stop him, what makes you think the
list administrators can do any better?

Old January 26th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

This MI5 guy has been spamming multiple lists/groups - aircraft, ham
radio, electronics, photography, and likely many others that I don't
subscribe to...
Complaints to the list administraotrs get no response...

Anyone know anyone who can get some action to block this guy?

denny

Well, depending on the newsreader you are using, you can create a Message
Rule. In OE, you can also select any one of the messages and use Block
Sender under the Message drop down. Block Sender will apply to future
messages as well as those already in the newsgroup folder, while the Message
Rule will only apply to those messages received in the future.

Personally, I find him/her far less irritating than a Troll. YMMV

Peter

Old January 26th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Jan 26, 8:28 am, "Denny" wrote:
This MI5 guy has been spamming multiple lists/groups - aircraft, ham
radio, electronics, photography, and likely many others that I don't
subscribe to...
Complaints to the list administraotrs get no response...

How are you accessing the posts here? And who are the "list
administrators" you're talking about? This is Usenet, where there's no
such oversight for unmoderated groups.

To "block" someone, you have to personally ignore them. Your options
depend on what software you read with. Those using Google Groups just
don't read those threads, for example.

Cheers, Kev

Old January 26th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
This MI5 guy has been spamming multiple lists/groups - aircraft, ham
radio, electronics, photography, and likely many others that I don't
subscribe to...
Complaints to the list administraotrs get no response...

Anyone know anyone who can get some action to block this guy?

His ISP is a notorious spam facilitator, so don't expect any help from them.

Old January 26th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Denny wrote:
This MI5 guy has been spamming multiple lists/groups - aircraft, ham
radio, electronics, photography, and likely many others that I don't
subscribe to...
Complaints to the list administraotrs get no response...

Anyone know anyone who can get some action to block this guy?

welcome to the internet (*chortle*)

whatever you're using to read news, just put a filter in to delete
his messages. But warning....he started posting as MI-5, then the
second round was as MI5, so you may need to add filter rules later on.
Another option, altho I don't recommend it, is to filter any DNS
address that ends with .uk

Old January 26th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:24:32 +0000, in ,
Blanche wrote:
whatever you're using to read news, just put a filter in to delete his
messages. But warning....he started posting as MI-5, then the second
round was as MI5, so you may need to add filter rules later on. Another
option, altho I don't recommend it, is to filter any DNS address that
ends with .uk

Often the nym-shifting nutcases will be using some sort of anonymous
remailer, so just killfiling the entire domain is the best thing to do...
For some reason, the anonymous remailers tend to attract this sort of
individual... With the Pan newsreader, you can also filter on substrings
in the MessageId field... This helps cut down on the rules in certain
cases where the nutcase is nym-shifting the domain in the From field since
the MessageId field still contains the original domain... A really good
newsreader would allow you to filter on any of the fields in the NNTP
headers... Unfortunately, I haven't found one yet that allows that much
flexibility, but at least Pan gives me more flexibility than Outlook
Express...
Old January 26th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Blanche wrote:

whatever you're using to read news, just put a filter in to delete
his messages. But warning....he started posting as MI-5, then the
second round was as MI5, so you may need to add filter rules later on.

I use a filter. Anybody who has MI5 in their address gets blocked.
Doesn't matter what he adds or subtracts. As long as those three
characters are in the address, poof, never see it.
Old January 26th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:51:17 -0600, Grumman-581
wrote in
:

A really good
newsreader would allow you to filter on any of the fields in the NNTP
headers... Unfortunately, I haven't found one yet that allows that much
flexibility,

Forté Agent provides many ways to filter including Unix Regular
Expressions:
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.ph...2571C400778745