GIVEN CURRENT WARS, F-35s ARE BETTER CHOICE THAN MORE F-22As

Old June 14th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
tankfixer

Default GIVEN CURRENT WARS, F-35s ARE BETTER CHOICE THAN MORE F-22As

In article , raymond-
says...

"tankfixer" wrote in message
In article , raymond-
says...

"Typhoon502" wrote in message
On Jun 11, 6:51 am, "Roger Conroy"
wrote:
"Tiger" wrote in message

Raymond O'Hara wrote:
"Ian B MacLure" wrote in message

"Raymond O'Hara" wrote in
:

we are in two wars now{which we are losing} and you're worried about
an
imaginary war against an imaginary opponent.
russia is not a credible threat. and it is decades away from being
one.

Losing? Lose to whom? Current events don't seem be anywere close. As
for
Russia? They have in the last year expanded their military activity.
They
are flying Bears again, opposed our missile defence plans, and Nato
expansions. Decades may be a bit much.

Russia is not the only possible future technologically advanced enemy -
don't take your eyes of China, or a possible Arab alliance.- Hide
quoted
text -

Not to mention Venezuela...

we don't need F-22s to fight venezuela.

You are one of those who believe in fair fights ?

it still won't be a fair fight.

So ?

If technical superiority will allow my country to prevail with fewer
casualties then I vote for the fancy tech.

--

"Oh Norman, listen! The loons are calling!"
- Katherine Hepburn, "On Golden Pond"
Old June 14th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
tankfixer

In article , raymond-
says...

are they just going to magically appear in 10 years, full blown, armed to
the teeth with ultra-fighters?

Yes.

Example: German 1930 to 1940.

Old June 14th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
tankfixer

In article , raymond-
says...

as it is, in 30 year manned planes will probably be obsolete.

IIRC that claim was made already.

Around 1960 or ther abouts...

Old June 14th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
tankfixer

In article ,
says...

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:47:17 -0700 (PDT), Jack Linthicum
wrote:

On Jun 12, 12:31 pm, Yeff wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:15:22 -0700 (PDT), Jack Linthicum wrote:
The USAF hates CAS because it doesn't win
medals and gets them in bar fights.

And you know this how?

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail fm

Watching bar fights and listening to the AFs whine. Actually watched a
"combined" exercise on Hawaii and the subsequent bar fight. Looked
like a regularly scheduled event.

Your mileage may vary, but I've got a couple of gongs for ground
support and none for air/air. CAS is one of the most fun missions you
can do in a tactical aircraft. The only bar fight I ever saw was
between folks fighting to be the first to buy an fighter pilot a beer
for CAS the grunts had appreciated.

The major difference today isn't that CAS is hated by the AF, but
simply that CAS looks a lot different than it did in the past. No more
"gomers in the wire" "danger close" "whites of their eyes" stuff. JDAM
from the menopause brings more precise support without the grunt ever
seeing the airplane. It might just as well be organic artillery fire.
He never knows.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
www.thunderchief.org

No more Sandys dumping napalm on the treeline from knife-fight altitude - a
scene much used by Hollywood.
I wonder how the movies would portray LGBs arriving out of the blue?

Chirping birds...
The leafs in the trees fluttering in the gentle breeze..
In the distance you can hear the rumble of a vehicle column..

The building to your front sits quiet in the morning sun.

BOOM

When the dust clears there is only rubble...

Old June 14th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Dan[_12_]

Zombywoof wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 04:44:59 -0500, Dan wrote:

Zombywoof wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 00:43:48 -0500, Dan wrote:

Raymond O'Hara wrote:
snip
a big main force war isn't going to happen anytime in the next 50 years.
You may be willing to stake your life on that, I'm not. I have
history on my side. Since WW2 there were Korea, Viet Nam and Gulf War
where an air superiority fighter was a requirement. Iraq may not have
had the greatest air force, but they didn't exactly roll over either.

Actually they did, they rolled over & play dead or fled. There were
no attempts at any meaningful maintenance of Iraqi airspace by the
Iraqi's.

Well, the 33rd TFW took out 16 Iraqi MiGs that weren't rolling over
or fleeing. They may not have been anywhere near top notch, but those 16
at least did put up a fight.

Yeah I know a little bit about that since I was stationed @ Eglin AFB
during the event at what was then the Tactical Air Warfare Center.

Then you remember the 16 green stars and the signs that read
"Biggest MiG parts distributors in Southwest Asia." I was in main base
with 9 SOS at the time.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Logger Choice Jamie Denton Soaring 10 July 6th 07 03:13 PM
Headset Choice jad Piloting 14 August 9th 06 07:59 AM
Which DC Headphone is best choice? [email protected] Piloting 65 June 27th 06 11:50 PM
!! HELP GAMERS CHOICE Dave Military Aviation 2 September 3rd 04 04:48 PM
!!HELP GAMERS CHOICE Dave Soaring 0 September 3rd 04 12:01 AM