Grob 109

Old September 14th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brien

Default Grob 109

Thinking of buying a 109A need to know the good the bad and the ugly of it.
Just what do I need to know about it, I have had people say stay away from
it others say it is good if you know how to fly it ?

Old September 14th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Brien wrote:

Thinking of buying a 109A need to know the good the bad and the ugly of it.
Just what do I need to know about it, I have had people say stay away from
it others say it is good if you know how to fly it ?

The first question you must answer is what do you want to do with it.
(Yeah, fly, I know... but what kind of flying.)
Old September 14th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303

Old September 14th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cats

Old September 15th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_1_]

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 09:15:27 -0700 (PDT), Cats
wrote:

I was
told it is well capable of doing aerotows of quite heavy gliders.

Onle the G109 Turbo which is equipped with a Limbach 2400 DT engine
with 135 hp (compared to its standard engine of 80 or 100 hp).

Bye
Andreas
Old September 15th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Andreas Maurer wrote:

Onle the G109 Turbo which is equipped with a Limbach 2400 DT engine
with 135 hp (compared to its standard engine of 80 or 100 hp).

I'm not sure this option is available for the A model. The turbo charged
engine surely transforms the B model into a pretty powerful touring
airplane and adds tow capability. (Range around 500nm, cruise speed 110
knots, fuel consumption between 4 and 4.5 gph, and service ceiling over
18.000 ft!) I sometimes use it in winter to do "power flights" on my
glider pilots license. I rarely fly it in glider mode.

These numbers are with the new supercharged engine. This new engine
isn't exactly cheap, though.
Old September 16th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chris

I was wondering if anyone has fitted winglets on the 109, it seems
like that might help control effectiveness and maybe add to climb
[power on and off].
Chris
Old September 16th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer[_1_]

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 17:03:27 +0200, John Smith
wrote:

I'm not sure this option is available for the A model.

You are correct - the new Limbach/Korff engine (the turbocharger was
actually developed by Korff who also does the retrofitting) is only
available for the 109B.

These numbers are with the new supercharged engine. This new engine
isn't exactly cheap, though.

Unfortunately - but there have been one or two used 109 Turbos for
sale which were in the 60.000 - 70.000 Euro range, which is
affordable.

Bye
Andreas
Old July 12th 19, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hej jag undrar var typ skylten sitter på en Grov G109 jag hittar inte den
Old July 13th 19, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I delivered a 109A from Arizona to the east coast. Out west, it didn't do well with the density altitude. I could climb OR keep the engine at a reasonable temperature. It couldn't do both at the same time. It was more manageable once I got to lower elevations of the midwest.

Once you eventually get up to altitude, it does scoot along pretty well. That's about the only thing that it did well.

I worked a few strong thermals in Arizona, but you have to imagine flying a 2-33... ballasted to double its gross weight. I wouldn't plan on doing much soaring unless you live somewhere with strong conditions.

Its frankly not a very good airplane and not a very good glider. I'm not sure what your intentions and expectations are, but I think that most people would be better off buying a Cessna 150 and/or a Libelle.

Grob Bob O'Rilley Soaring 3 April 29th 05 07:22 PM
Grob G-102 maintenance Stephen Szikora Soaring 4 November 25th 04 09:49 AM
Grob 103 SL R.W. Carpenter Soaring 2 March 21st 04 10:21 PM
WTB Grob 109 b Steve B Soaring 10 July 21st 03 06:54 PM
GROB 102 Vorsanger1 Soaring 4 July 11th 03 11:34 PM