302 security failures

Old April 5th 10, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Default 302 security failures

Anyone else got one, lately?

And yes, I do have the flash memory upgrade. Have flown the ship
about a hundred hours since the upgrade, this is the first such
problem (yesterday). Didn't think to check to see if the memory just
'rolled over', but it is probably close, IIRC 302 holds right around a
hundred hours of flight logs at 4sec interval.

-T8
Old April 5th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

You're right, it's about 100 hours.
It's just another thing to deal with at Annual time. For many people
using "clear log" at Annual is sufficient to keep the gremlins away.
But if you fly a lot, that isn't enough. Perhaps stick a post-it note
in the logbook to remind you of when the next "clear log" is due...
SPOT batteries should get changed at each Annual too. I put 200
hours on the 2 Lithium AAs (version 1) with no problem, but doubt I'd
push it another year.
At the bottom is a way to make and test a log without flying, to
check 302 security.
Jim

Clearing the flight log memory in a 302 or 302A
This may help reduce flight log security issues on future flights.
Important Note: This will erase all flight logs in memory!
1. Connect the 302 or 302A to a PC using the RS-232 serial cable that
was supplied with the 302.
2. Power the 302 or 302A with 12 volts and make sure the unit is
turned-on. The GPS antenna does not need to be connected.
3. Run a terminal emulator program on the PC. A good one to use is
HyperTerminal. It is included with most versions of Windows. To
access it go to:
o Start Menu / All Programs / Accessories / Communications /
HyperTerminal
4. In the "New Connections" window enter "302" for the Connection Name
and then click the OK button.
5. In the "Connect To" window, set the "Connect using" parameter to
match the desired communications port. This is the port which the
RS-232 serial cable is connecting with. It is usually COM1, COM2,
etc. and will vary from PC to PC. Then click the OK button.
6. In the "COMx Properties" window set the parameters as specified
below and then click the OK button:
o Baud Rate: 4800
o Data Bits: 8
o Parity: None
o Stop Bits: 1
o Flow Control: None
7. You should now see GPS data sentences appearing in the
HyperTerminal window.
8. Hold the "Ctrl" button on your computer's keyboard and hit the "c"
button (Ctrl-c). The flow of GPS data should stop.
9. At the "cmd" prompt type: "clear log" and hit the Enter key. I
don't think there is any acknowledgement from the 302 other than that
the "cmd" prompt reappears.

Checking the 302 logger with HyperTerminal:

Connect as above
Ctrl C
Type START
Allow it to log 10 minutes.
Type STOP
Then download the log with the CAI 302 utility and check security.
Old April 5th 10, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 5, 7:03*am, T8 wrote:
Anyone else got one, lately?

And yes, I do have the flash memory upgrade. *Have flown the ship
about a hundred hours since the upgrade, this is the first such
problem (yesterday). *Didn't think to check to see if the memory just
'rolled over', but it is probably close, IIRC 302 holds right around a
hundred hours of flight logs at 4sec interval.

-T8

Could you clarify this is the security fail on download with a
Cambridge PDA utility software where the hardware/battery seal is
known to be good but the IGC file is invalid. Have you tried a non-
Cambridge utility like ConnectMe, that has never helped me when this
has happened but some people believe it helps with this sometimes.

I have ran my 302 at 1 sec sample rate since getting one of the early
flash memory upgrades, easilly enough to wrap memory, but I dont'
think that proves anything. I had only one bad download/security fail
in past use of that 302.

Darryl
Old April 5th 10, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Apr 5, 11:22*am, JS wrote:
[...]

Thanks JS. Somehow, I though the point of the memory upgrade was to
avoid having to do this...

-T8
Old April 5th 10, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Apr 5, 11:28*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Apr 5, 7:03*am, T8 wrote:

[...]

More data:

302 has good seal as displayed on Screen # 8 (or there about) --
verified this after the failed d/l.

Flight logs are being transferred by Cambridge utility to a SD card on
an Ipaq 3970. The Cambridge utility reports three things at the end
of the download -- paraphrasing: "Flight log integrity Okay /
Signature Okay / Security Fail". I've 'verified' the downloaded igc
file with valicam2 and get the same three messages on yesterday's
file.

I've never used another utility to transfer logs -- the CAI utility
works fine.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

Old April 5th 10, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johngalloway[_2_]

On 5 Apr, 16:32, T8 wrote:
On Apr 5, 11:22*am, JS wrote:

[...]

Some time ago I had security fail with a 302ACFR that hadn't been
prevented by prior regular clearing of the flight log but did go away
when I sent the unit back to Cambridge for the Flash upgrade and re-
sealing.

However another possible cause is a flat security memory backup
battery. That's what caused my most recent security fail - this time
with a 302 DDV - and when I took advice (identity withheld for obvious
reasons) about having the flash upgrade done to the unit at the same
time as the battery replacement/re-seal I was told that:

"the original chips used became obsolete so an almost direct
equivalent has been cobbled onto the original board in the last 2
years production. There were then some timing issues, but Phil
Schlosser did some consultation and sorted out the problem. It turned
out that the timing had always been marginal, so there was a software
update that makes both old and new memory chips more reliable. The
original ones do not need the odd hard-wired jumpers to make them work
on the pcb. There is no difference in functionality between the
original and replacement memories, and it is believed by the design
team that the ones the unit was designed around are more reliable.
(The new ones have in principle more memory, but there is not the
control available to use it)."

I can't vouch this but I didn't get the flash changed on the second
unit.

John Galloway
Old April 5th 10, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Apr 5, 12:31*pm, johngalloway wrote:
On 5 Apr, 16:32, T8 wrote:

On Apr 5, 11:22*am, JS wrote:

[...]

I had CAI put a new battery in my unit when it was returned for the
upgrade.

That's an "interesting" story. If true... I'm just glad those guys
weren't building wing spars for Schleicher when my ship was built.

-T8
Old April 5th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_3_]

On 4/5/2010 9:31 AM, johngalloway wrote:

[...]

Has CAI released this software update? My 302 is 4 years old, and was
at CAI two years ago for a repair (just a few weeks before Gary K left).
Nothing was said about the possibility of a software upgrade. The
unit has had a security failure since then.

I could be wrong, but I thought Phil Schlosser hadn't been involved with
CAI for years.
Old April 6th 10, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

Just to put in my $0.02 I have *NEVER* had a single issue with my
302. Never. Period. About 6 years old now and all I have ever done
is send it somewhere for a re-calibration/certification. And I have
never dumped the memory (but certainly have wrapped the memory).
Maybe I am just lucky.

All those that have never had a problem with their 302, please raise
their hands. ;-)

- John DeRosa
Old April 6th 10, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

ContestID67 wrote:
Just to put in my $0.02 I have *NEVER* had a single issue with my
302. Never. Period. About 6 years old now and all I have ever done
is send it somewhere for a re-calibration/certification. And I have
never dumped the memory (but certainly have wrapped the memory).
Maybe I am just lucky.

All those that have never had a problem with their 302, please raise
their hands. ;-)

I've had security fails about every 800 flight hours (4 second rate),
original chips, two fails so far. I've cleared the flight log after each
one. That's infrequent enough, I've not been motivated to preemptively
clear it, so it's almost like having no problems. I usually get it
calibrated every 2 years.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Rotax 582 rod big end failures Beaver Shaver Home Built 2 October 2nd 06 02:43 AM
MH EDS failures Philip Plane Soaring 6 December 16th 05 12:37 AM
Colibri failures? [email protected] Soaring 3 April 15th 05 12:30 AM
Colibri Failures. Stan Kochanowski Soaring 2 April 6th 05 01:00 PM
Colibri Failures. Stan Kochanowski Soaring 1 April 6th 05 12:24 PM