Garmin 296 worth the money?

Old June 16th 04, 11:40 PM
Terry

Default Garmin 296 worth the money?

I know after reading this newsgroup for over three years that many
questions have been asked regarding the "best" GPS for the money...so
forgive me but the Garmin 296 is so new I can't find out much about it.
Lots of old articles about older models of GPS receivers.

I've been using the Lowrance 300 for the last 4 years and like it very
much and it's features. Only thing is the screen contrast leaves a
little to be desired as it is difficult to see at times.

As of now, I'm considering the Lowrance 2000c, Garmin 196 or Garmin
296. Don't know of any others unless someone has recomendations. I'm
not sure I'd use the terrain avoidance feature that the Garmin 296 has
but I do like the "obstructions" database that my Lowrance 300 has. I
do want crystal clear picture in sunlight or dark with ease of
operation.

Now that the Garmin 296 has been out for a little while, anybody have
comments good or bad? I am a little leary about spending $1800 on a new
GPS that might have "bugs" that need to be worked out before it is a
really good unit.

Thanks for any input and be safe out there....

Terry
N6401F
Flightstar 782
Old June 17th 04, 04:16 AM
EDR

Garmin 296 has a rechargeable Li-Ion battery. I've heard 15 hr/charge
mentioned. What are you going to do after a trip to the boonies?
No mention of a provision for disposable batteriers, although you could
make up your own 12Vdc pack and use the cigarette lighter plub.
Old June 17th 04, 04:44 AM
Peter

EDR wrote:

Garmin 296 has a rechargeable Li-Ion battery. I've heard 15 hr/charge
mentioned. What are you going to do after a trip to the boonies?

They sell replacement Li-Ion batteries for it so you could take along
enough charged ones.

No mention of a provision for disposable batteriers, although you could
make up your own 12Vdc pack and use the cigarette lighter plub.

You could, but you could also go to a WalMart/Target/xxx and look
through their assortment of readymade gellcell 12 VDC battery packs.
Mine came from Target, cost under $30 and includes a flashlight, two
12VDC cigarette-lighter style jacks, additional jacks for operating
3/6/9/12VDC devices, and cords for charging from either 110 VAC or 12 VDC.

Old June 17th 04, 07:24 AM
NW_PILOT

Nope it's not worth the extra money in my opinion but i only had the chance
to play with one for about an hour in the air and about 2 hours on the
ground.