A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

COVID-19 Operational Considerations

Old May 4th 20, 08:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Morwood
external usenet poster

Default COVID-19 Operational Considerations

On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 12:52:42 PM UTC+10, wrote:
From someone in the thread, "Covid may indeed be similar to flu but as you have stated, currently there is no immunity."

Maybe I am not following clearly, but I keep hearing we've tested so many hundreds of thousands across the US, and (you choose a number) 10-40% respond as Covid-exposed, and then of those only a smattering need health care, maybe 10%, and of those - 90% recover.

If we've been exposed, and are still living, with or without symptoms, aren't we in the process of creating this mystical "herd immunity"? Aren't we creating immunity by fighting off death by Covid?

Not necessarily. Once you've been exposed to some virus's, for example chickenpox, you have life long immunity, for others the immunity may fade in months. We do not know how long immunity after being exposed to SARS-Cov-2 is yet as it has not been around long enough to build the data, but a number of the other Corona Virus's we do know about which are responsible for some versions of the common cold have their immunity fade in months, which is one of the reasons why you can keep getting colds.
Old May 4th 20, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 6:15:22 PM UTC-7, GliderCZ wrote:
On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 3:29:12 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 2:38:55 PM UTC-7, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 7:10:57 PM UTC-5, Steve Bralla wrote:
On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 10:01:17 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I'm not wearing a face mask. My body my choice. If you are afraid of people without face masks stay scared - at home.

Presenting facts to Gregg is no use. He learned all he needs to know when he earned his PHD in infectious diseases at Trump University

Good point.

Anthony S. Fauci has kept his job through four administrations two of which were democrat. He has credentials that at least foster the illusion he's competent at his job.

Three months ahead of the time table he presented we're already at 60K deaths. The advice from the CDC and him haven't just been shades of grey, they've been night and day different.

It's not an emergency. Then....it is an emergency.

Nothing to worry about. Now, worry.

Effects people with "known health issues". Then, can hit kids, major league baseball players who get constant checkups and really, just about anybody.

Domestic pets and wild animals can't get it. Followed by a cat and two lions that got it.

I don't even have an undergraduate degree in medicine but I know when somebody constantly contradicts themselves in videos, well...at least for half of us it raises serious doubts about their credibility.

Each of the things I mentioned above, those were all presented a 'facts' from our government experts.

But you are right and good to hold Gregg to a higher standard. He's clearly not as stupid as Fauci or most liberal forward thinkers.

I am sorry, I missed it. Could you state again what are your medical credentials, your work experience with infectious decease, and citations to your publications. Also, are you currently working as an MD in the fight against Covid? Or are your musing those of a layman with no training or experience make the calls you are making?

Expertise and education be damned! We all have Google now!

I fear this might be the attitude of many.
Old May 4th 20, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 12:44:48 AM UTC-7, Mark Morwood wrote:
On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 12:52:42 PM UTC+10, wrote:
From someone in the thread, "Covid may indeed be similar to flu but as you have stated, currently there is no immunity."

Maybe I am not following clearly, but I keep hearing we've tested so many hundreds of thousands across the US, and (you choose a number) 10-40% respond as Covid-exposed, and then of those only a smattering need health care, maybe 10%, and of those - 90% recover.

If we've been exposed, and are still living, with or without symptoms, aren't we in the process of creating this mystical "herd immunity"? Aren't we creating immunity by fighting off death by Covid?

Not necessarily. Once you've been exposed to some virus's, for example chickenpox, you have life long immunity, for others the immunity may fade in months. We do not know how long immunity after being exposed to SARS-Cov-2 is yet as it has not been around long enough to build the data, but a number of the other Corona Virus's we do know about which are responsible for some versions of the common cold have their immunity fade in months, which is one of the reasons why you can keep getting colds.

I have not had a cold in thirty plus years. Had a few other issues, skeletal/soft tissue from an athletic lifestyle. I credit much of my lack of common colds and flu to not having children. My stress levels are lower, I have more disposable income and free time. I chose whom to be around and with the money I have saved I can hire strippers to care for me when I am old. Got to get your health wherever you can! Stay safe out there pilots.
Old May 4th 20, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 9:24:31 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 9:15:22 PM UTC-4, GliderCZ wrote:
On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 3:29:12 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 2:38:55 PM UTC-7, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 7:10:57 PM UTC-5, Steve Bralla wrote:
On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 10:01:17 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I'm not wearing a face mask. My body my choice. If you are afraid of people without face masks stay scared - at home.

Presenting facts to Gregg is no use. He learned all he needs to know when he earned his PHD in infectious diseases at Trump University

Good point.

Anthony S. Fauci has kept his job through four administrations two of which were democrat. He has credentials that at least foster the illusion he's competent at his job.

Three months ahead of the time table he presented we're already at 60K deaths. The advice from the CDC and him haven't just been shades of grey, they've been night and day different.

It's not an emergency. Then....it is an emergency.

Nothing to worry about. Now, worry.

Effects people with "known health issues". Then, can hit kids, major league baseball players who get constant checkups and really, just about anybody.

Domestic pets and wild animals can't get it. Followed by a cat and two lions that got it.

I don't even have an undergraduate degree in medicine but I know when somebody constantly contradicts themselves in videos, well...at least for half of us it raises serious doubts about their credibility.

Each of the things I mentioned above, those were all presented a 'facts' from our government experts.

But you are right and good to hold Gregg to a higher standard. He's clearly not as stupid as Fauci or most liberal forward thinkers.

I am sorry, I missed it. Could you state again what are your medical credentials, your work experience with infectious decease, and citations to your publications. Also, are you currently working as an MD in the fight against Covid? Or are your musing those of a layman with no training or experience make the calls you are making?

Expertise and education be damned! We all have Google now!

If your experts are so expert why are medical mistakes the number 3 killer in America? Politically connected labcoats are charlatans serving something other than the public good. Thankfully people are realizing their own common sense is the only answer. Before you take a Fauci recommendation I suggest you research how well his approval of AZT worked out.

Being a scientist or medical expert is not the same as having metaphysical certainty on life and death issues. Best guesses are the fact of the day and any day based on evolving evidence. Common sense may, at times, be a more accurate assessment of the reality without the tunnel vision of experts grasping for particulars. Life goes on and nature adapts. We are nature.
Old May 5th 20, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Bralla
external usenet poster

I don't believe doctors because they were wrong once before. How could they be right now?
Tell the 70,000 (today or tomorrow) dead that it's nothing to worry about (unless it's me).
Remember as Stalin said, "One death is a tragedy, a million is just a statistic."
Old May 5th 20, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I don't believe doctors because ...

Speaking of doctors, we have Spring checkrides to refresh our brains for flying.

This has shut down elective surgeries. How do you do a checkride for a doc to restart that? Kind of makes the first patients interesting.