small o/a torch preferences?

Old June 18th 09, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
patrick[_2_]

Default small o/a torch preferences?

Hello; I'm considering a project - homebuilt recumbent bike- that I'm
going to use as an excuse to buy a smaller o/a torch. I currently have
a victor torch, model 100-with the valves at the bottom of the largish
body and would like to buy one of the smaller torches with the valves
at the top of the body. There's 3 commonly available torches with the
topside control on the north american market- the victor, harris and
smith torch. Any preferences among the 3? Thanks Pat
Old June 18th 09, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gerry van Dyk

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Meco Midget from TM Tech,
although it's probably more expensive than any that you've listed. It
could almost be described as a "jeweler's" o/a torch. I forked out
the bucks and am absolutely delighted with it.

http://tinmantech.chainreactionweb.c...52d 4c9d44c1b

The other torch commonly used in homebuilt aircraft (that's still
available) is the Henrob 2000. (formerly Dillon etc) Nice handle but
from what I gather it's substantially bulkier and heavier than the
Meco.

http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/

Hope this helps.
Gerry

Old June 19th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
canuck_bob

I'm a rank amateur OA welder but have been happy with the little
Smith. Wish I had double stage regulators though. My flame settings
wander a bit at the low pressures I use.
Old June 19th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

patrick wrote:
Hello; I'm considering a project - homebuilt recumbent bike- that I'm
going to use as an excuse to buy a smaller o/a torch. I currently have
a victor torch, model 100-with the valves at the bottom of the largish
body and would like to buy one of the smaller torches with the valves
at the top of the body. There's 3 commonly available torches with the
topside control on the north american market- the victor, harris and
smith torch. Any preferences among the 3? Thanks Pat

I had both a Smith and a Victor.
Both were fine instruments with the right sized tips.

"Small" diameter hoses are recommended.
Less fatigue handling the torch that way.

While I'd love to play with a Meco Midget,
it was just too expensive for my limited budget.

Richard

Old June 20th 09, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:

Hello; I'm considering a project - homebuilt recumbent bike- that I'm
going to use as an excuse to buy a smaller o/a torch. I currently have
a victor torch, model 100-with the valves at the bottom of the largish
body and would like to buy one of the smaller torches with the valves
at the top of the body. There's 3 commonly available torches with the
topside control on the north american market- the victor, harris and
smith torch. Any preferences among the 3? Thanks Pat

Henrod.

clare dont you find your knuckles getting cooked by the henrob?
radiant energy really made the hand uncomfortable after a short
welding stint when I was using one.

I have a Dillon Mk3 but I'd love a little smith to get my hand lust a
little further away but havent found anywhere that carries them in my
country. we seem to be stuck with the comet 3 handle in australia.

Stealth Pilot
Australia

I don't have a Henrob but have used one. They are for FINE work - and
where the heat is not re-radiated/reflected back too much. Like
holding an artists brush as far as control is concerned.