O2 safe level?

Old September 5th 05, 06:25 PM
Paul kgyy

Default O2 safe level?

I acquired a Nonin O2 monitor a while back and Saturday took it out for
a test ride. I'm 68, mild heart disease, annual special issue medical,
exercise regularly.

With regular deep breathing, I was able to retain 90% or more O2 level
as indicated by the monitor up to 13,500, and felt fine. Given that
one of the early symptoms of hypoxia is euphoria, however, I'd
appreciate if any of you who have tested this stuff would share what
you know about where hypoxia begins for most people?

Old September 6th 05, 12:01 AM
Dave S

In persons without chronic respiratory disease, in healthcare settings
we aim to keep oxygen saturations above 90-90%.

The oxygen content of the blood drops sharply below sat's of about 90%,
so the difference between 90% and 88% is greater than 92% and 90%.

You would be best off to use oxygen for flights in that area.

Dave

Old September 6th 05, 08:36 PM
Paul kgyy

Thanks, Dave. I just read the directions that came with the monitor
(always read the directions LAST :-() and that says to use 90% of your
"customary" level. e.g. people who live at 5000 feet don't normally
show 100% but have developed tolerance so 85-86% is probably OK if your
normal level is 95%.

Old September 7th 05, 12:09 AM
David Rind

Paul kgyy wrote:
Thanks, Dave. I just read the directions that came with the monitor
(always read the directions LAST :-() and that says to use 90% of your
"customary" level. e.g. people who live at 5000 feet don't normally
show 100% but have developed tolerance so 85-86% is probably OK if your
normal level is 95%.

That's probably not a very good plan. Most people don't show 100% at sea
level, and if your usual resting O2 saturation is 95% at sea level, you
still don't want to drop below 90% in the air for the reason that Dave
S. mentioned -- the oxygen content of the blood drops off rapidly below
a saturation of 90%.

--
David Rind

Old September 7th 05, 03:55 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks, Dave. I just read the directions that came with the monitor
(always read the directions LAST :-() and that says to use 90% of your
"customary" level. e.g. people who live at 5000 feet don't normally
show 100% but have developed tolerance so 85-86% is probably OK if your
normal level is 95%.

When mountaineering we normally see resting numbers in the high 80s when
first arriving at a new altitude, this usually goes to the low 90s within
two days. Most people are not feeling very well in the low 80s. I have
never used an oximeter in an airplane but I imagine that it would be about
the same..

Mike
MU-2

Old September 7th 05, 04:32 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

David Rind wrote:
That's probably not a very good plan. Most people don't show 100% at sea
level, and if your usual resting O2 saturation is 95% at sea level, you
still don't want to drop below 90% in the air for the reason that Dave
S. mentioned -- the oxygen content of the blood drops off rapidly below
a saturation of 90%.

We will routinely put anybody with an SaO2 of less than 90% on oxygen in the
hospital where I work. I generally run around 95% myself on room air.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old September 7th 05, 08:37 AM
Stefan

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

We will routinely put anybody with an SaO2 of less than 90% on oxygen in the
hospital where I work. I generally run around 95% myself on room air.

What you do in the hospital is one thing, what you need to be able to
safely fly is an entirely different thing. In our glider club, we have
equipped all gliders with an EDS pulse demand oxygen system. We think we
have been flying noticeably better since we've routinely used it as low
as 7000ft and certainily are less tired in the evening.

Stefan
Old September 7th 05, 12:08 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Stefan wrote:

What you do in the hospital is one thing, what you need to be able to
safely fly is an entirely different thing. In our glider club, we have
equipped all gliders with an EDS pulse demand oxygen system. We think we
have been flying noticeably better since we've routinely used it as low
as 7000ft and certainily are less tired in the evening.

I only mention it (90%) as a reference to what physicians consider minimally
acceptable for folks basically at sea level (~700' msl). I recognize that our
needs as pilots are different in that we generally do nothing more physical than
sit on our butts and push buttons. We do need a clear head though....

Above 10,000 feet I get a momentary twinge of lightheadedness if I cough. I
can't really define any other obvious change though. I've never explored higher
than 12,000 feet without pressurization so I can't say how rapidly I'd fall
apart as I go higher.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old September 7th 05, 01:11 PM
john smith

In article ,
Stefan wrote:

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

We will routinely put anybody with an SaO2 of less than 90% on oxygen in
the
hospital where I work. I generally run around 95% myself on room air.

What you do in the hospital is one thing, what you need to be able to
safely fly is an entirely different thing. In our glider club, we have
equipped all gliders with an EDS pulse demand oxygen system. We think we
have been flying noticeably better since we've routinely used it as low
as 7000ft and certainily are less tired in the evening.

What do you do in the evenings that you would not be too tired to do?
;-)))