A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Adhesive for wing bumper pads

Old July 4th 20, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
william geiger
external usenet poster

Default Adhesive for wing bumper pads

I need to reattach one. What adhesive would work? I think I put this one on with rubber cement and got 10 plus years service but was wondering if there is a better solution for getting the flat surface of the rubber bumper to adhere to the curved wing surface.
Old July 4th 20, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 2:52:51 PM UTC-4, william geiger wrote:
I need to reattach one. What adhesive would work? I think I put this one on with rubber cement and got 10 plus years service but was wondering if there is a better solution for getting the flat surface of the rubber bumper to adhere to the curved wing surface.

Hi Bill,

sand the old gunk off of both surfaces, clean them thoroughly with denatured alcohol and then use contact cement according to the mfg instructions. That stuff works best for that application.
If you ever have an undue side-load, you want these things to come off clean rather than break the glass or gelcoat. The tail-skid of the early Std.-Astir was attached to the tail boom the same way for the same reason.

Uli
'AS'
Old July 4th 20, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 1:52:51 PM UTC-5, william geiger wrote:

I've been quite happy usiing 3M VHB tape on mine.

Robert
Old July 4th 20, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
william geiger
external usenet poster

On Saturday, July 4, 2020 at 2:52:51 PM UTC-4, william geiger wrote:

Thank you gentlemen.