Slow flight and Slips to Landing - Video

Old January 31st 09, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma[_2_]

Default Slow flight and Slips to Landing - Video

Nice VFR day for flying and doing some landing work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzaeqwn1GJ4

"Plane having" fun, just wanted to commit aviation and enjoy the
sensation of flight. Figure to practice some slips to landings and no
flap landings after slow flighting it in the practice area

Old February 1st 09, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma[_2_]

On Jan 31, 5:44*pm, "~^ beancounter ~^" wrote:
nice......practicing slips is fun, ea?......

Absolutely! Closing in on 900 hours and they are just as fun as when
I learned them! And as you can see from the video, still
learning :-)))))

Old February 1st 09, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
~^ beancounter ~^

glider training helped me w/slips...we used them a lot
to "bleed off energy" on approach...always better to have
too much, than too little.......

cheers

Old February 1st 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steven Barnes

I love slips.

Went up with my co-owner in our Cherokee Six to do some holds & approaches.
For once, I got to sit left seat. I did mine, then he did his. He ended up
high & fast. Gave me the plane back. With a chop of power, flaps I rolled
her over & she dropped like a rock. Love it.

Old February 3rd 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Steven Barnes wrote:
I love slips.

Went up with my co-owner in our Cherokee Six to do some holds & approaches.
For once, I got to sit left seat.

You rarely get to sit in the left seat of an airplane you co-own?
Old February 3rd 09, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

Don't use slips to bleed of energy (kinetic) in a glider..
use slips to loose extra altitude (potential energy)

BT

Old February 3rd 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

BT wrote:
Don't use slips to bleed of energy (kinetic) in a glider..
use slips to loose extra altitude (potential energy)

Slips are great for non-precision instrument approaches, too.

Sometimes, the MAP can be a relatively short shot to the threshold.
Having to drop, maintain or lose speed, and land, makes a slip the right
maneuver. High and fast is no way to approach a wet runway.
Old February 4th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma[_2_]

On Feb 3, 1:24*pm, B A R R Y wrote:

Sometimes, the MAP can be a relatively short shot to the threshold.
Having to drop, maintain or lose speed, and land, makes a slip the right
maneuver. *High and fast is no way to approach a wet runway.

While my non precision approaches are always circle to land, wouldn't
dive and drive work more effectively even for straight in LOC
approaches? I descend700 feet per minute and "drive it" to the MAP.

1 mile viz is more then adequate to work the pattern without losing
sight of the airport at 500 AGL. Never had the need to slip (at least
at my own airport) since I am at MDA well before MAP.

Old February 4th 09, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

A Lieberma wrote:
While my non precision approaches are always circle to land, wouldn't

dive and drive work more effectively even for straight in LOC
approaches? I descend700 feet per minute and "drive it" to the MAP.

I think I've been misunderstood.

I don't do either slips or d&d before the MAP. I descend 1000 FPM @ 90
knots, leveling before the MAP. That's 1700 RPM w/ 1 notch in my
Sundowner, don't have it nailed yet in the 182. 90 knots all the way,
controlling descent with throttle, no dive and drive.

I'm talking once you are at the MAP, doing 90 knots, a slip can be handy.

Never had the need to slip (at least
at my own airport) since I am at MDA well before MAP.

Same here...

Slow flight and Slips to Landing - Video [email protected] Piloting 3 February 6th 09 04:55 PM
Slow Flight w3n-a Rotorcraft 0 December 4th 08 04:00 PM
Slow Flight Ol Shy & Bashful Piloting 43 September 28th 07 02:52 AM
slips to landing in PTS BB Soaring 6 April 17th 07 05:58 AM
MSFS 2004 Video frame rate very slow Greg Brown Simulators 1 November 11th 05 08:24 PM