The insane spitfire video clip

Old October 28th 03, 03:01 AM
G.R. Patterson III

gatt wrote:

What airplane was it?

Judging from the radiators, it's a Spitfire Mk IX.

George Patterson
You can dress a hog in a tuxedo, but he still wants to roll in the mud.
Old October 28th 03, 05:07 AM
Jay Honeck

The one comment I have is more of a question: when making reservations,
are
guests able to guarantee a specific suite?

Yes!

One thing you'll find about our place -- NONE of the "normal" lodging rules
apply.

That's what happens when two pilots with no hotel background buy a small,
luxury suites inn. Stupid, crazy stuff like customer service starts to
happen! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 28th 03, 07:51 AM
Jeff

Hey Jay, just a heads up on using video clips.
There is a company called Acacia that claims to own the patent on recorded
streaming media.
They are asking that people pay them huge amounts of money to license their DMT
patents. How do I know about this, because we got a letter from them asking us
to pay them $10k to license their patents. They are not playing around, they
even sent these letters to universities, online radio stations and so forth.

Jeff

Jay Honeck wrote:

If you haven't seen this yet give it a look. It's a Spitfire practically
mowing the lawn during a wheels-up flyby at the camera. WTF?!

This is rated R for (wholly appropriate) use of strong language.

http://alexisparkinn.com/oh_my_god.htm

Glad you like it -- I think it's the best one of the bunch! (I'll bet they
ever used that footage in the documentary they were filming -- at least not
with sound! :-)

Sorry about not being able to save the video -- I've received several
requests for instructions on how to save it. For some stupid reason, my
setting the video up on its own page seems to eliminate the ability to
"right click and save" it.

I'll be working to fix that.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 28th 03, 08:06 AM
Dylan Smith

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:50:03 GMT, gatt wrote:
I've only watched it about a hundred times now. Let's see...ballpark
estimates would put the prop diameter at around 7', and he appears to have
been some fraction of that off the ground, GEAR UP...

If it's the video I'm thinking of, I got it a while ago, and I load it
up whenever I need a good laugh :-)

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Old October 28th 03, 02:02 PM
Jay Honeck

There is a company called Acacia that claims to own the patent on recorded
streaming media.
They are asking that people pay them huge amounts of money to license

their DMT
patents. How do I know about this, because we got a letter from them

asking us
to pay them $10k to license their patents. They are not playing around,

they
even sent these letters to universities, online radio stations and so

forth.

They claim a patent on ALL streaming media? Wow -- that's arrogance of
Microsoftian proportions.

Well, I suppose if they want to stop our fun, they can have a whack at me.

But they'll have to stand in line to do it. ;-)

(What's a "DMT patent"?)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 28th 03, 03:54 PM
Corky Scott

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:50:03 GMT, "gatt" wrote:

I've only watched it about a hundred times now. Let's see...ballpark
estimates would put the prop diameter at around 7', and he appears to have
been some fraction of that off the ground, GEAR UP...

Good God. I just can't imagine who would do that. Reminds me of Piece of
Cake where they're flying under the stone bridge (best flying footage in
anything I've ever watched, really.)

Do you know any details about the shoot? What airplane was it?

I read an explanation in another group.

The gist is as follows: It was to be an introduction to a Discovery
program, if I remember right, and is about two years old. The
"talent" is supposed to introduce the piece and he's supposed to
finish his introduction in time for the Spitfire to zoom past.

I will extrapolate a bit and suggest that very likely the Spitfire had
run a pass or two ahead of time so that the filmers could time his
approach and work out how long the intro could be.

This could have happened at any time prior to the "talent" arriving
for his part. I say this because it seems pretty obvious that the guy
has no idea how close the pass will be.

This, again pretty obviously, is the first take.

Here's an additional detail: the pilot of the Spitfire is a guy who
flies it in shows a lot and has the reputation for flying extremely
low. If you watch the approach carefully, you'll notice that the guy
is so low, he actually has to climb a bit to clear the camera crew.
His prop disc, at one point, appears to be only about four feet above
the turf.

It was a pass in which the Spitfire circles out of camera view, and
dives down to begin the approach. He isn't taking off and climbing
out right over the crew.

Corky Scott
Old October 28th 03, 10:58 PM
Jeff

Thats what their patent claims, so far, some of the biggest companies, Hustler,
wicked, Vivid, lodge net, and others, have signed their license agreement. After
our attorney reviewed the patents, we signed it also. Its no joke, they are
going after everyone, they have had the courts shut down alot of sites that
refused to pay licensing fee's.
A few places are litigating it, I am sure the out come of the trial will
invalidate the patents, but as of now, they are enforcing them.

BTW they havnt been standing in any lines, they have been pushing their way to
the front of it

This is the same company who in 2000, claimed they held the patent on the V-chip
technology, alot of companies paid up, a few went to court. after 2 years,
acacia lost. But as Rob Berman said in a radio interview "we made 200 million
dollars, so did we really lose"

Old October 29th 03, 06:36 AM
Douglas S. Ladden

Jay Honeck on 28 Oct 2003 suggested:

(What's a "DMT patent"?)

A patent relating to "Digital Media Transmission" (DMT). Actually,
they have 5 such U.S. Patents. You can see them from he
http://www.acaciatechnologies.com/uspatents_all.htm

--Douglas