David Clarke Reviews

Old April 18th 04, 05:39 PM
Pete Brown

Paul:

I bought a pair of DC's 30 years ago...still have them, they
work great. 20 years ago, a young friend of mine barfed into
the mike. I sent it back, years after the warranty had
expired, and asked for a quote to refurbish. They sent it
back quickly, completely refurbished, new cords, etc, no
charge. The company is that good.

With regard to ANC, don't even think about not getting it. I
know that it seems like an expensive option now when you are
starting out but if you continue to fly, you will find that
the upfront cost is nothing compared to the cost of hearing
aids that you will eventually need.

Pete
Anchorage
--

Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Old April 18th 04, 07:40 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jonathan,

they are
pretty much an all-plastic headset

No, they are not. The metal is covered by plastic, that's all.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 18th 04, 07:56 PM
James Robinson

Pete Brown wrote:

With regard to ANC, don't even think about not getting it. I
know that it seems like an expensive option now when you are
starting out but if you continue to fly, you will find that
the upfront cost is nothing compared to the cost of hearing
aids that you will eventually need.

There is some question of the value of ENR (Electronic Noise Reduction)
in avoiding future hearing loss. Our company investigated supplying ENR
headsets in a high noise area, but decided not to, since there was no
demonstrated value. In short, ENR only works on lower frequencies, and
those frequencies typically don't affect hearing as much as higher
frequencies.

There were a couple of areas where there might have been some benefit,
but they were unquantifyable, so the company couldn't put a dollar value
on the systems. The use of the systems might have led in a possible
reduction in fatigue, resulting in improved alertness, and there might
have been improved clarity in conversations, reducing communication
error.
Old April 18th 04, 08:30 PM
Stu Gotts

That's why you should never rely on bean counters when it comes to
safety, security or comfort.

Old April 18th 04, 08:41 PM
Cockpit Colin

All joking aside, the single thread that seems to consistently bind all
models of lightspeed is their unreliability.

From what I've read (from people who have allegedly owned them) I wouldn't
touch them with a 10 foot pole.

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Cockpit,

I've read of people who've
sent them back a dozen times or more

Well, I'd wager you've read about exactly ONE person who's done that.
And he's gotten one for free now.

You also find one person here who hates his (ex-)Cirrus. This is
Usenet...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old April 18th 04, 08:43 PM
H. Adam Stevens

"Paul" wrote in message
Hi

I am a student pilot hoping to take my checkride within the next month
(PPL/A).

I am after a David Clarke Headset but am not sure which one to buy.
Does anyone know of a good website that has independent reviews on all the
Dave Clarke models, the only reviews I can find are either on the David
Clarke website or on pilot supply websites but none of these seem to be
independent or detailed enough to make my decision.

I am not really interested in the detailed specifications, I am after
reviews from pilots who have used them (comfort, features, weight etc..)
ideally comparing the pro's and con's between the different models.

Thanks

Wore a pair to Vermont and back from Austin, Texas once; "David Clamps" is
apropo.
OTOH a solid, well engineered product suitable for military use.
Blue skies
H.
CP AS&MEL IA
ex N2196B, N739CD, N502TB

Old April 18th 04, 08:50 PM
Cockpit Colin

There is some question of the value of ENR (Electronic Noise Reduction)
in avoiding future hearing loss. Our company investigated supplying ENR
headsets in a high noise area, but decided not to, since there was no
demonstrated value. In short, ENR only works on lower frequencies, and
those frequencies typically don't affect hearing as much as higher
frequencies.

With DCs the passive attenuation is on par with other (non ANR) headsets.
The ANR is ADDITIONAL attenuation, with main benefits being increased
clarity of speech and less fatigue. They're really designed for aircraft
type noise levels (which in the big picture of things aren't really that
noisy inside) - they wouldn't be sufficient for such things as daily
chainsaw useage. If you need high frequency protection from relatively high
noise environments then an aviation type headset isn't the right tool for
the job.

Old April 18th 04, 08:59 PM
Paul

Which David Clarke models offer ANR?

Thanks

Old April 18th 04, 09:14 PM

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:43:40 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

Jonathan Goodish wrote:

Bose is definitely the way to go if you have the money and want active
noise cancellation.

A recent review that I read (cant recall where, sorry) gave the Bose a
low mark for noise reduction and suggested Sennheisser as the best
performing.

I'm a bit of an audiophile and I can tell you that nothing beats
Sennheiser's headphones. Bose's don't even come close. Never tried their
aviation headsets but if they are anything like as good as their hi-fi
stuff they would be well worth getting.

Old April 18th 04, 11:05 PM
James Robinson

Stu Gotts wrote:

That's why you should never rely on bean counters when it comes to
safety, security or comfort.

It was actually the medical department that killed the program, not the
bean counters. The financial people would have been delighted if there
was any benefit, since payouts for occupational hearing loss are quite
high.