90 degree locking pliers?

Old October 1st 05, 03:02 AM
B. Jensen

Default 90 degree locking pliers?

Does anyone know of a long nose vise grip plies that is bent 90 degrees?
I have a needle nose pliers that is bent 90 degrees at the tips, but
I sure could use a locking pliers with the same setup.

Thanks,

BJ

Old October 2nd 05, 04:11 AM
Morgans

"Cy Galley" wrote

Why not buy a straight pair and heat and bend to your specs?

The way I am seeing his question, the action of plyers, with a typical pivot
point, would only make the gripping surfaces slide past each other, and not
grip anything.

It seems like what is needed is a new type of tool, with a right angle on
the end, and a screw pushing the other grip towards the right angle one.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 2nd 05, 05:46 AM
Andy Asberry

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:11:56 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Cy Galley" wrote

Why not buy a straight pair and heat and bend to your specs?

The way I am seeing his question, the action of plyers, with a typical pivot
point, would only make the gripping surfaces slide past each other, and not
grip anything.

It seems like what is needed is a new type of tool, with a right angle on
the end, and a screw pushing the other grip towards the right angle one.

Picture the bend 90 degrees to the side.
Old October 2nd 05, 05:50 AM
bowman

http://www.etool.ca/eTool/RENDER/1/26/220/3122.html

Old October 2nd 05, 02:34 PM
Michael Pilla

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Cy Galley" wrote

Why not buy a straight pair and heat and bend to your specs?

The way I am seeing his question, the action of plyers, with a typical pivot
point, would only make the gripping surfaces slide past each other, and not
grip anything.

It seems like what is needed is a new type of tool, with a right angle on
the end, and a screw pushing the other grip towards the right angle one.
--
Jim in NC

Go to Home Depot. I have a pair that I use quite often. The angle isn't
quite 90o, but close enough.

The jaws are much thinner than the usual vise-grip pliers; more like a
long-nose pliers, bent at an angle in the same plane as the handles. I have
not seen any vise-grip type pliers that have the jaws bent at an angle to
the plane of the handles.

I did find that if one tried to apply too much pressure, the jaws would slip
out of alignment. The regular vise-grip pliers can exert quite a force, if
needed, but the angled, "long nose", type can only exert a moderate force.

I cannot check the brand / model because it is packed away pending a move
out of state.

Michael Pilla

Old October 3rd 05, 01:42 AM

Michael Pilla wrote:

The way I am seeing his question, the action of plyers, with a typical pivot
point, would only make the gripping surfaces slide past each other, and not
grip anything.

It seems like what is needed is a new type of tool, with a right angle on
the end, and a screw pushing the other grip towards the right angle one.

Uh, don't they call those monkey wrenches?

Maybe they have another name for the small ones.

--

FF

Old October 3rd 05, 02:33 PM
Michael Pilla

wrote in message
ups.com...

Michael Pilla wrote:

The way I am seeing his question, the action of plyers, with a typical
pivot
point, would only make the gripping surfaces slide past each other, and
not
grip anything.

It seems like what is needed is a new type of tool, with a right angle on
the end, and a screw pushing the other grip towards the right angle one.

Uh, don't they call those monkey wrenches?

Maybe they have another name for the small ones.

--

FF

All my monkey wrenches are tightened via a knurled screw whereas the
vise-grip pliers are tightened by squeezing the handles over center after
adjusting the approximate grip range; rough description.

Michael Pilla

Old October 3rd 05, 06:50 PM

Michael Pilla wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Michael Pilla wrote:

The way I am seeing his question, the action of plyers, with a typical
pivot
point, would only make the gripping surfaces slide past each other, and
not
grip anything.

It seems like what is needed is a new type of tool, with a right angle on
the end, and a screw pushing the other grip towards the right angle one.

Uh, don't they call those monkey wrenches?

Maybe they have another name for the small ones.

--

FF

All my monkey wrenches are tightened via a knurled screw whereas the
vise-grip pliers are tightened by squeezing the handles over center after
adjusting the approximate grip range; rough description.

Aha! The tool could have monkey-wrench planiform with a locking-grip
(vice-grip TM) mechanism combining the best features of both tools.

So, who wants to do the patent search?

--

FF