soaring in the San Francisco area

Old March 10th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default soaring in the San Francisco area

I used to fly gliders some years back, and I am thinking of getting
back into it. Where do glider pilots in the San Francisco area tend to
go for soaring?

Johan Larson

Old March 10th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

better yet.. check "where to fly" on www.ssa.org

Hollister, Byron, Williams and Middleton are the closest
BT

"Jack Daniels" wrote in message
check www.ssa.org

oups.com...

Old March 10th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
I used to fly gliders some years back, and I am thinking of getting
back into it. Where do glider pilots in the San Francisco area tend to
go for soaring?

Northern California Soaring Association, at Byron Airport, a club about
an hour from SF on I580:

http://norcalsoaring.org/

Williams Soaring Center, in Williams, CA, which is around two hours from
SF, north of Sacramento on I5:

http://williamssoaring.com/

Soar Truckee will open for the season in May, 3 hours from SF on I80:

http://soartruckee.com/

There are still tows available at Hollister, which is about an 1.5 hours
south of SF on 101, but it's not clear when (or if) instruction will be
available again...

See also:

http://www.pacificsoaring.org/

Marc
Old March 10th 06, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

BTIZ wrote:
better yet.. check "where to fly" on www.ssa.org

Hollister, Byron, Williams and Middleton are the closest

Crazy Creek in Middletown is pretty much gone (housing development),
except for occasional tows for an indeterminate period of time.
Hollister has a new person doing tows, but no instruction or rentals
yet, as far as I know...

Marc
Old March 10th 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In article ,
Marc Ramsey wrote:

BTIZ wrote:
better yet.. check "where to fly" on www.ssa.org

Hollister, Byron, Williams and Middleton are the closest

Crazy Creek in Middletown is pretty much gone (housing development),
except for occasional tows for an indeterminate period of time.
Hollister has a new person doing tows, but no instruction or rentals
yet, as far as I know...

Marc

What about Avenal?

As an aside, does anyone base Open gliders there?

Ken
Old March 10th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ken Ward wrote:
In article ,
Marc Ramsey wrote:

BTIZ wrote:
better yet.. check "where to fly" on www.ssa.org

Hollister, Byron, Williams and Middleton are the closest

Crazy Creek in Middletown is pretty much gone (housing development),
except for occasional tows for an indeterminate period of time.
Hollister has a new person doing tows, but no instruction or rentals
yet, as far as I know...

Marc

What about Avenal?

True, I just don't tend to think of it, as it takes longer for me to get
there than Truckee...

As an aside, does anyone base Open gliders there?

I've seen some there over the years...

Marc
Old March 11th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc Ramsey wrote:
BTIZ wrote:
better yet.. check "where to fly" on www.ssa.org

Hollister, Byron, Williams and Middleton are the closest

Crazy Creek in Middletown is pretty much gone (housing development),
except for occasional tows for an indeterminate period of time.
Hollister has a new person doing tows, but no instruction or rentals
yet, as far as I know...

Hollister has instruction and pretty much had it all through the
ownership transition.

Contact Quest Richlife ) for details.

Jeremy

Old March 11th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Jeremy Zawodny" wrote in message
Hollister has instruction and pretty much had it all through the ownership
transition.

Contact Quest Richlife ) for details.

Jeremy

Who is the new owner? Is Drew gone?