37 degree flare, 1/8" stainless

Old August 27th 03, 06:55 AM
Richard Riley

Default 37 degree flare, 1/8" stainless

I need to make a dozen 37 degree flares in 1/8 stanless line for a
brake system. My flaring tool only goes to 3/16. Spruce has the
"Rolo-flare" tool that goes to 1/8" for $80 or so, but they say it's
not for use with stainless. OTOH, the other vendors that carry the
Rolo-flare don't say anything about stainless. Has anyone used it for
this?

Spruce also has a 1/8" flaring kit for $19, that comes with a flaring
"punch" http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...aringblock.php
is it used with a hammer?

Spruce also has Weatherhead flaring tools that go to 1/8 for SS, but
they're $400. I hate to buy one for so few jobs. Anyone got a used
one for sale, rent or borrowing?
Old August 27th 03, 02:36 PM
Jerry Wass

Ah'm a gonna use a buncha 1/8" SS toobin on my fuel injection system on my

314 cid Cont. GPU. ---I'se gotta buncha ole surplus 3/16" preformed pipes
with lotsa flares on 'em--Whack 'em off at a 45% angle bout an inch long &
silver solder em on to the 1/8"--Makes a stouter joint & moves the
vibration away from the flare
fitting back into the 1/8" line--Dat werk 4 U ??

Old August 27th 03, 02:44 PM
Jerry Wass

Yes the punch type is tapped in w/a hammer--probably have to clamp it in a

flaring tool holder to give enough mass to tap against--Plummers been doin
it
fer years on soft copper--helps to have a 2nd pr of hands to hold the pipe
while
you beat on the punch----Yew gotta Lathe?? make yer own punch---Yew are
gonna use a ferrule/nut combo to strengthen it at the joint ain't cha??--
ALSO
the 45% flare will probably conform to the 37% ftg in that small size
anyhow.
You not gonna try & jam it up to a luminum ftg are you?? A Dios.

Old August 27th 03, 03:11 PM
Richard Riley

:
:314 cid Cont. GPU. ---I'se gotta buncha ole surplus 3/16" preformed pipes
:with lotsa flares on 'em--Whack 'em off at a 45% angle bout an inch long &
:silver solder em on to the 1/8"--Makes a stouter joint & moves the
:vibration away from the flare
:fitting back into the 1/8" line--Dat werk 4 U ??
:
Ooooo, dat clever. Ifn I get outta dem serplus 3/16 ss, I ken make
dem.

I does has a good lathe I mite get to werkin, but I don't have no way
ta hold da 1/8 line ifn I don't by dat ting from Spruce..

I was gonna use dem aluminum fittins, but I was gonna use some a dem
soft copper 37 degree gaskets, do de werk?

:

Old August 27th 03, 07:03 PM
Jerry Wass

wrote:

:Ah'm a gonna use a buncha 1/8" SS toobin on my fuel injection system on my
:
:314 cid Cont. GPU. ---I'se gotta buncha ole surplus 3/16" preformed pipes
:with lotsa flares on 'em--Whack 'em off at a 45% angle bout an inch long &
:silver solder em on to the 1/8"--Makes a stouter joint & moves the
:vibration away from the flare
:fitting back into the 1/8" line--Dat werk 4 U ??
:
Ooooo, dat clever. Ifn I get outta dem serplus 3/16 ss, I ken make
dem.

I does has a good lathe I mite get to werkin, but I don't have no way
ta hold da 1/8 line ifn I don't by dat ting from Spruce..

I was gonna use dem aluminum fittins, but I was gonna use some a dem
soft copper 37 degree gaskets, do de werk? YAH, DEY ISHT VERK GOOT!!

:

Old August 27th 03, 07:14 PM
Corrie

My, my. Ah had no idee alla dees folks was buildin dem airplane down
in de bayou country - dats where my fambily done come from, chile.
Nice ting bout dat, if you run out de propane fo de torch, jes suck
down a half-bottle of Tabasco or a couple links o' boudin, and you can
keep right on wit de job. Don' have to 'splain no more details, do I?

If you buildin' in wood, son, watch out fo dem dam nutria. Dam
swamp-rats chew up anyting. An besides dat, dey not even good eatin'.
Even my Granny never could do nutin' wit dem dam nutria...
Old August 27th 03, 07:29 PM
Jerry Wass

wrote:

:Ah'm a gonna use a buncha 1/8" SS toobin on my fuel injection system on my
:
:314 cid Cont. GPU. ---I'se gotta buncha ole surplus 3/16" preformed pipes
:with lotsa flares on 'em--Whack 'em off at a 45% angle bout an inch long &
:silver solder em on to the 1/8"--Makes a stouter joint & moves the
:vibration away from the flare
:fitting back into the 1/8" line--Dat werk 4 U ??
:
Ooooo, dat clever. Ifn I get outta dem serplus 3/16 ss, I ken make
dem.

I does has a good lathe I mite get to werkin, but I don't have no way
ta hold da 1/8 line ifn I don't by dat ting from Spruce.. WELL, i TELL YA

HOW TO DO DAT--You takes a short peece of 3/16" line( 1/8" i.d.) & you
grab your trusty moto tool with the fine thin grinder blades & you cuts a slit
in it length wise, slip this little bugger on the 1/8" line & clamp the whole
ferschluggin mess in the 3/16" hole in your flare clamp doohickey.---ON SECOND
THOUGHT, MEBBY YOU BETTER MAKE 2 SLITS IN IT, if you wants to
take it off..

Then you all knows bout the merger tween Honeywell & Fairchild?? they is gonna

call it---

Farewell Honeychild!!

:

Old August 28th 03, 02:32 AM
Richard Riley

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:29:10 GMT, Jerry Wass
wrote:
:
:Then you all knows bout the merger tween Honeywell & Fairchild?? they is gonna
:
:call it---
:
:
:Farewell Honeychild!!

I's been hear 'bout a nutha o dem mergers, a tween Carter Hawley Hale,
Mary Kay Cosmetics, Fuller Brush Company and WR Grace. Dey's gonna
call it Hale Mary Fuller Grace.

Old August 29th 03, 04:21 AM
Jerry Wass

HEY RICHARD !!!

Don't know what size calipers or mstr cyls you're using, but you're gonna
have
very slow extension & retraction of your calipers with that small of a
size tubing.
Silicone fluid is about the lowest viscosity & doesn't get as heavy in
cold weather
and you're really not gonna save much weight with that small line..
If you gotta lot of that 1/8" line, I'll swap you some 3/16" for it---My
injectors pulsate
off & on at idle with Bosch's plastic line & I want SS for fire
protection.
Jerry