Looking for private pilots (as safety pilots) within 100nm of Cincinnati

Old October 3rd 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Alex P.

Default Looking for private pilots (as safety pilots) within 100nm of Cincinnati

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster (I always wanted to say this )

Anyway, I have just acquired my private pilot license and I'm en route
to the intrument ticket. Since as you know, this is the time where a
second private pilot is what helps best to collect the needed
instrument time, I was wondering if there's anyone out there that has
at least a basic license and would be willing to fly with me
Cincinnati would be best, but anything within 1hr flight time will
work too.

- I pay for rental, you can pick the place where you'd like to have
lunch or dinner
- I buy food
- I will be more than happy to return the favor and be your safety
pilot if you're looking for IFR hours.

If you're interested - respond to this post, or send me a private
message and we'll work out the logistics.

Cheers and safe skies,
Alex

PS. Sorry for cross-posting but it can be a win-win so hopefully
doesn't qualify as spam

Old October 3rd 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

If you "hire" a private pilot to be your safety pilot, he
needs to have a commercial pilot certificate. You are
offering to pay for lunch at a place of the others choosing,
etc and that makes it a "for pay operation requiring a
commercial certificate. As your employee, neither you nor
he/she needs to have a 135 certificate even though you are
planning trips.

From the stand point of valuable instrument time, you need a
pilot with an active instrument rating who can give useful
advice and see errors you might make.
A CFII is cheap compared to the cost of wasted aircraft
hours.

Congratulations on the new certificate.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

ps.com...

Old October 4th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TheSmokingGnu

Jim Macklin wrote:
You are
offering to pay for lunch at a place of the others choosing,
etc and that makes it a "for pay operation requiring a
commercial certificate.

But surely this wouldn't qualify; the purchase of lunch is both
incidental and coincidental to the act of flying; neither the act of
flying nor the purchase of lunch must necessarily and/or inevitably
follow the other, obviating the comp/hire clause?

You could be nicked on the paying of rental/loggable time (good will
applies), but not the hamburgers!

TheSmokingGnu
Old October 4th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

TheSmokingGnu wrote:

You could be nicked on the paying of rental/loggable time (good will
applies), but not the hamburgers!

I wouldn't think you could be tagged for providing the plane. The safety
pilot would be a required crewmember for the operation, not a passenger. If
such were the case, then nobody could fly with a safety pilot in their own
plane (or a rented one) unless the safety pilot shared costs. I don't think
that's the case.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)