Mechanics: what tools sizes to carry?

Old October 26th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Malcolm

Default Mechanics: what tools sizes to carry?

I'm making up a kit of tools to carry with me on XC, and for general
purposes to work with a friendly A&P to accumulate A&P hours. So,
what sizes do I carry? the 1/4, 1/2, and 1 inch wrenches are a
given. As are probably the sizes in eighths. Are the sizes in
sixteenths worth carrying? How about the 32conds?

I am also considering making up two kits: a minimal one for XC
flights, and a "working with the A&P" kit that's more complete.

Yes, I can use my A&P's tools but I'd prefer to have my own handy
instead.

So, mechanics and experiences owners, what sizes are necessary?

Thanks,
Malcolm
Old October 26th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Malcolm" wrote in message
I'm making up a kit of tools to carry with me on XC, and for general
purposes to work with a friendly A&P to accumulate A&P hours. So,
what sizes do I carry? the 1/4, 1/2, and 1 inch wrenches are a
given. As are probably the sizes in eighths. Are the sizes in
sixteenths worth carrying? How about the 32conds?

I am also considering making up two kits: a minimal one for XC
flights, and a "working with the A&P" kit that's more complete.

Walk around your airplane and see what sizes you are likely to use - what
are you going to do yourself? If it's a bolt that you can't remove without
an A/P to supervise, you don't need to carry the wrench in the airplane. I
wouldn't be surprised to find a lot of 7/16 and 9/16 in addition to the
sizes above. A good socket that fits your plugs would be a good cary. Big
Channel Lock pliers are handy.

For a set of hanger tools, you are best off just buying a "set" with open
end, box end, combination, and sockets. (1/4 and 3/8 drive at a minimum).
Most starter sets now include metric stuff that you likely don't need for
your current airplane, but you do own a car, right? Figure about $100 to
$200 at Sears (I assume you are in the U.S.)

Get a philips screwdriver with the replacable tips.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old October 28th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blanche

First, I'd find the parts/maintenance manuals for your aircraft. From that,
it's easy to identify tools. For example, on a piper cherokee, there are
3 box wrenches that pretty much takes apart the entire aircraft:

two 3/8 in
two 7/16 in
9/16 in (wheel pants)

a good phillips and a good flat head screwdrivers

that's really all I have for short trips. anything longer, I probably
wouldn't be able to fix it anyway.
Old October 28th 08, 11:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On 28 Oct 2008 00:41:43 GMT, Blanche wrote:

First, I'd find the parts/maintenance manuals for your aircraft. From that,
it's easy to identify tools. For example, on a piper cherokee, there are
3 box wrenches that pretty much takes apart the entire aircraft:

two 3/8 in
two 7/16 in
9/16 in (wheel pants)

a good phillips and a good flat head screwdrivers

that's really all I have for short trips. anything longer, I probably
wouldn't be able to fix it anyway.

in essence that list will take care of most aircraft.

I have found that a spark plug socket is a rare beastie in the field
(deep series 22mm socket)
I also have two good quality 6 inch adjustable spanners.

the reality is that if your maintenance is up to snuff you'll never
need them.

if you have a wooden prop then the socket size to tighten the prop
bolts is an essential addition. props do come loose in dry weather.

that and a handfull of nuts and screws.

the rest that we seem to accumulate is just weight.

Stealth Pilot

Wire sizes Fred Blair Soaring 21 August 1st 08 08:37 AM
Caption This !! (2 sizes) Square Wheels[_2_] Aviation Photos 18 December 18th 06 12:01 AM
instrument sizes Bill Chernoff Home Built 9 September 21st 06 08:28 PM
Jepp Flitemap - text labels, weird font sizes [email protected] General Aviation 2 May 4th 05 10:21 PM
Cockpit sizes of standard Jantar goneill Soaring 2 December 28th 03 11:29 AM